First AI composed and produced album released

Discussion in 'Music Releases' started by Maizelman, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Because:
    Sometimes working solo doesn't get you to where places, collaboration usually creates more than the sum of the parts.
    :winker:

This new project by AI creation tool Amper - a project co-founded by clever clogs Drew Silverstein which allows the AI to create, arrange and produce final results, taking into account the input of real musicians for collaboration is something beyond those usual results. Details are a little sketchy as to exactly what the AI did in this particular project and what the part the human in this case Taryn Southern but the final result certainly is presentable and has had a large amount of interest for the Youtube video.

The forthcoming album entitled "I am AI" is a collaboration between Amper which provided the notation, chord progressions, instrumentation, and Taryn Southern the vocal melodies and lyrics. The album is set to be released shortly - check the TarynSouthern.com site for latest news.

sonicstate.com/news/2017/08/25/

This whole area does raise some interesting questions, firstly the usual "allows you to create with no experience" thing, yeah that makes actual skilled people bristle somewhat. I mean don't we have enough mediocre music content?

I once tried a fractal music generator. Was actually fun :yes: and I myself think this AI stuff can get pretty interesting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Nice topic! :wink: "at least we know who has been writing beibers songs" This was the first comment i found on that site lol

4. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Success in music overall , is unfortunatley often by association...
    More often than not it isnt so much down to your work...>
    And more so a .>
    "Time and place type deal"

And yes Btw i apologise because i misunderstood the thread.....

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Elevator music with hans zimmer percussion on loop.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

song is completely lifeless, singer and track

7. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

...no wonder. Ampers primary target audience until now were people searching for background music to lay underneath their youtube chitchat videos. I think the song truly lacks soul, too. Taryn's nice though.

8. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

The point of doing this, other than idiots and technology freaks to jerk off?

9. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

What I would like to know... Is the AI software getting any royalties for its compositions? :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. saltwater

saltwater Guest

AI is so powerful, its unbelievable, i even think this is the biggest invention of all time and will solve any solvable problem.

scary

11. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

That weird AI thing appeared butt naked in my local my bar and said it needed my daw, my boots and my motorcycle. When it found out I was using Reaper, it gave me the strangest darned look that I've ever seen. Gave me the chills, man.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Juggler

Juggler Noisemaker

Not particularly impressed by the song, but probably this is not the point.
    I wonder how many albums relying heavily on some composition/arrangement software, but not declaring It, are actually produced.
    AI stuff Can be quite interesting, and I dare say sound like it was composed by humans.
    And I not thinking to the mock Xenakis stuff you Can produce messing with the fractals!

13. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Biggest question or problem I'd say is:
    Will AI ever be able to recognize it's own inspiration or intention (and the happy accidents which often make our antroprogenic music really unique) in a way that it feels when the content it produces has exciting or pleasurable qualities? What needs to be implemented, that AI-music will be perceived really cool, fresh or new to humans? I think that's the hardest part to code.

Another question is: how can we improve APIs and HIDs to enhance the collaboration experience?

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Pagurida

Pagurida Producer

Sounds neat, does nothing wrong, moves in the middle of the road, has no edges, does not hurt,... "blahblah music".
    As long as AI is not able to feel pain, happiness, love, despair or anger, it will not be able to produce music that touches anyone.

15. G String

G String Rock Star

AI is overblown, over hyped BS. This generation's buzzword. Add it to the list of false promises.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

So which part I do not get? From YT:

- "All music and video art made with Amper's artificial intelligence...
    - ...lyrics/vocal melody by Taryn"

then:
    - "Music composed by Amper AI"
    - "Lyrics and melodies by Taryn Southern"
    - "Vocal production and arrangement by Ethan Carlson"

So All music with AI, EXCEPT melody + vocal arrangement (melody harmonization, I guess..)

Written like this, it is simply deceiving! All music is ALL music, not a four chord harmony. You can't even sue someone for harmony(c) and that may be the reason behind what this AI spits out. FFS, we are copying Pachelbel's Canon in D for 300+ years already.

I will not give a subjective opinion on the result, but with all the human resources mentioned in credits, I would expect something..

@Mainzelman, nothing against the topic.. interesting one

17. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I think AI is an incredible "tool". 100% AI generated music, on it's own, isn't quite there yet. Could come in extremly usful for chord progressions, arrangement and instrumentation - especially if you let the AI analyze e.g. 50 mp3 tracks as your reference, and maybe let it output 15 different composition to then go in and butcher to your liking. No more starting from scratch! Would be nice to assign vsti, kontakt instruments etc on separate tracks in DAW, and apply an AI plugin on each track somehow, and have the Master AI plugin on a submix.........er, something like that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    • List
  18. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Of course machines are more efficient then humans, they only need electricity to work, dont ask questions or have demands
    They also dont need to shower, something many "producers" seem to aspire to

Soon enough we wont even need to live anymore as machines can do it "better" then us, at least the people selling them will make sure everyone believes it

fucking greedy engineer cunts...

But seeing the response in this thread, some people seem to like it.

Guess its easier to buy a machine which jerks you off instead of facing your own inadequacy whilst stretching your creative powers

Well... to each their own.

Motherfukx, sounds like "on hold" music

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Jesus christ her facial expression is so creepy it will get me nightmares!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  20. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

@Matt777 I also had a hard time figuring out which Intelligence was responsible for what part. Maybe they wanted to draw the curtain over that. :dunno:

@spacetime .. it is highly likely the machine will play exactly that album while jerking you off.

@fraifikmushi Sry for that. Be careful with sleeping pills. I admit she's a bit strange, she has a video at youtube where she talks about why she decided to freeze her eggs. It is called My Egg Freezing Story. :hahaha:

21. Welcome my friends, welcome to...the machine. Yes, this song sucks and had mostly human direction and input, but if allowed to germinate, propagate and flourish, human kind will find it difficult survive the onslaught of (I just now coined this latin phrase) "apparatus viventem", or "The Living Machine". As our societies become more obsessed, enamored and psychologically addicted/dependant on technology, it will be ever easier to lead the human species like dogs on a leash. The garbage entertainment that is fed to the masses will continue to take the place of the truely important aspects of our lives in greater and greater degrees until reality and the synthesized dramas that are fed to a more and more hungered for the balm of synthasia can no longer be actually told apart from "reality". It unfolds right before our very eyes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List