Firefox frustration - RAM usage spikes / not responding?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Dalmation, May 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Firefox v46.0.1
    - AdBlockPlus
    - NoScript
    Windows 7 Home.

I was run used to run an older version of Firefox with 1000+ open tabs and got frequent RAM memory usage peaks of 1GB+ (running into page-swap) and not responding because of HD thrashing.

I reduced the open tabs by making more Firefox profiles for my different usage needs eg. Audioz/Audiosex work.

Now the same problem continues on any profile, occuring soon after 5~10 minues, then settling down to previous RAM +~0.5GB. If I close the Firefox session, then re-open, the same problem repeats.

I don't know if my problem is related to Adobe Flashplayer, corrupt java script or places.sqlite file or... ?
    I know it usually starts when flashplayer.exe has sarted or web pages with java are open.

This issue has been giving me ths shits for a long time. I tried a Firefox 'Profile Refresh" a long time ago but that didn't really fix anything.

Note: I also have 100's (1000's?) of bookmarks in my main/original Firefox profile if this makes any difference ?

Can anyone please advise ?
    Thanks.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

I don't know about you, but my firefox browser usually lags when having one or more tabs from the sister site open in conjunction with anything else. 99% of the time if I don't have a page from the sister site loaded firefox runs as smooth as it should. As far as Adobe Flash Player, the problem definitely seems related to flash objects on certain websites and how the player pairs with firefox's plugin container. Overall performance got worse the day firefox implemented the plugin container feature. To this day they claim the plugin container is a way to isolate plugins from firefox so they crash independently. But what's really going on is plugin> crashes container> crashes firefox.

4. chris030

chris030 Noisemaker

no real advice other than to switch the browser. I had the exact same problems a year ago, firefox eating lots of ram and freezing with only a few tabs open (used to have up to 200 tabs open, too). Even when i disabled flash. Although a fan of firefox from the first hour, I switched to opera and couldn't be happier. It seems to handle RAm a lot better. Also, when opening a link/background tab - opera doesn't load / autoplay any flash content- this so brilliant. It starts playing when you actually click the tab. I've found all addons i used in firefox for opera, some of them where even already integrated in the browser (like a session manager, which they took out in later versions unfortunately).
    Another thing i experienced recently using chrome - it now has the same behaviour as opera with flash content (no autoplay / load) - BUT - it also seems to unload "unused" tab contents from RAM. I have this old laptop with 3 GB RAM and also have hundreds of open tabs - IMPOSSIBLE with firefox or even opera.

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i have now in use palemoon (based on firefox v26, but maintained daily), Waterfox for newer addons.
    palemoon doesnt have that super bad ram usage like FF got after crossing v30 and up.

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

• List
  7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Use uBlock origin (which has lower RAM usage, FF plugin) or Admuncher (Windows plugin)

set flahs to "ask to activate" in about:addons . Hides a lot of flahs ads.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Yes, use ublock origin instead of adblock plus.

9. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Suggestion: I use the addon "memory restart" to keep memory usage under control and the following great memory management tool. specifically made for firefox:
    FIREMIN
    download it at
    https://rizonesoft.com/download/firemin/
    You'll be surprised how much it cuts firefox memory usage, without any loss in performance

10. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

I've recently moved to Opera after a lot of frustration with both Chrome and Firefox. Never looked back.

11. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

There are lighter-weight browsers than Firefox, but I have optimized it by using its plug-ins Adblock Plus, Strict Pop-Up Blocker, and Ghostery. The first of them, but ironically, has to be disabled in order to view content on some sites who subsist on monetization and block adblocked browsers (I know - it's confusing). The second has to be used with sites such as AudioZ (no offense, but it is so) in order to render them actually usable. Ghostery sort of has to be adjusted per-site, as it also blocks CPU-hogging nefarious stuff running in the background; one even has to turn it off to leave reviews on the Musician's Friend site. But, I'm telling you, these plug-ins have made the internet navigable with Firefox. If you have a lot of bookmarks, put the ones you use frequently in the Bookmarks Toolbar, and put the rest in folders and subfolders classified by subject or nature. That will prevent Firefox from having to catalog every bookmark into RAM all at once.

12. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I use "Suspend Tabs" addon with options to unload unused tabs after a period and "don't load new background tab by default". Seems to have reduced the RAM related problems.

• List
  13. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

what has helped me is to install the beta version of firefox, total delete the old install. its was light like a feather again. if not i noticed a huge difference when cleaning EVERYTHING cache, history, cookies. kept only logins. that made a real impact too. i use sync so i can delete everything and recover favoreties etc

14. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Its amazing! Thanks alot!

15. Pereira

Pereira Producer

but finally I moved to Palemoon

16. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

I'll have a swing at that! Cheers!

17. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Yea, ram management and flash-overkill maddnes will make me leave the once so loved browser behind.
    I've kinda switched back to a 'light-weight' Safari, but the staggering amount of flash adds just keeps f***ng things up.
    More RAM! More RAM !! :rofl:

18. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

19. instantkarma

instantkarma Noisemaker

Maybe a little off-topic but is there a way to make the Chrome tab bar look like FF? I mean in FF if I open up like 100 tabs I would still be able to read at least a portion of the page name and the icon, since the tabs have a minimum witdh. In Chrome when I open that many tabs they all fit in that tab bars at once, not possible to identify which tab is which at all... like this vs this:

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]