Finding the right studio and gear to work in.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by SteveDuda'sBoyfriend, Oct 17, 2016.

1. SteveDuda'sBoyfriend

SteveDuda'sBoyfriend Noisemaker

So I make mostly electronic, edm type stuff and want to take my sound to another level. Yes I know my skills need to be worked on but I have a few questions about what hardware I should be looking for in a studio. I would have to pay per hour to work in.

1) What are the expensive hardware gems I should be looking for the studio to have? Such as monitors or other high end hardware. I live in a big city now so feel free to throw the most expensive stuff out there.

2) How much per hour should I be paying to use the studio? For me it is more about the experience and maybe some hands on tutoring with how and why/when to use things during the mixing and mastering stage.

3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yo homeboy,these aint the 60s.Use your computer and set up a home studio for less than a week`s studio rent.

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Everything will be expensive hardware gems compared to what you are currently using :wink:

5. SteveDuda'sBoyfriend

SteveDuda'sBoyfriend Noisemaker

wow, it's that expensive!:woot:

6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Is this your guitar?What happened to the orange one?

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Neither are mine, I just liked the look of them :) The next one will be a Telecaster :wink:

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

:drunks:

9. LoveKavi

LoveKavi Kapellmeister

Yup. Use your home as a studio. Done.

However... If you are working with songwriters in person and you can't bring them to your home studio for an reasons (sound limits, other residents, area hard to get to, etc...) you will need a studio, but rather a dry hire room. I'm currently looking to rent a room more towards the city so songwriters can easily get to it and I can make as much noise 24/7. However all I will need is a table, monitors, pc, audio interface, few mics, done.

If you do need a studio for those reasons. I live in London and a dry hire studio/room that's about 4m x 4m is roughly £500-600pm for 24/7 access. If you are looking for a studio with slot timings, it'll always vary depending on the landlord. I'm guessing where I live is more expensive that many other places (sad sad sad for the starving artists), so that figure above may be lower for you. Check gumtree out.