Find relief! Here is the "#1 chart hits" hate thread.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Elisea, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Elisea

Elisea Guest

Hi guys! For understandable and up-to-date reasons i want you to spill all your pent up hate all over this thread. And I also invite you to a controverse discussion about what you think a hit is made of. To keep it easy and to let the hate flow like a river of blood, i suggest to post your most hated songs and take a look at how they got it to the top of the charts. (Learn from your enemies!) This is not about the ones you love. Its about the phenomenon that shit can get so popular you can't even stand it. And I want to see all the nasty adjectives and metaphors you always wanted to scream out ...

Why do i ask something like that? Hmm! Lets get clear. I want to show that perfect production is less important than most of you think. A lot of discussions here are about how the last mu of a certain quality can be archieved by using this or that. Is it really necessary to make it perfect or do you need more effort in other categories? Lets see!
    But I also want you to calm down a little after this infantile escalation in the serum thread. You bunch of ill-mannered, snotty-nosed brats!:winker:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Yes. It probably needs luck to get a no.1 hit. And maybe business connections are also involved. But i hope a closer look at really shitty songs puts alot in relation so everybody can learn from it. And as you guess, i want the focus on all the things that are mostly underrepressented on AS: Songwriting, arranging, simplicity, catchyness, business connections, artists look and appearance etc.

I beginn with my probably most hated song and production forever. "She's got the look" from Roxette!

When this got released i liked most of the song especially the straight synth bass at the beginning. (Was young and naive!) But later it turned into pure hate. The production is horrible, just the sound of the snare makes me puke. And his pressed voice is kind of embarrassing. The song is simple and catchy, and its a good example that customers don't give a shit on production quality if the song is easy. (They actually have no clue what qualitiy is.)

Another example: New Kids On The Block - Hangin' Tough

When this song came out i was a bit to young to be a target, but nevertheless i hated it from the first moment of hearing. All the teen girls around me got hooked by NKOTB. I couldn't stand it because the song felt like some retarted kids sitting in a room hitting stupidly on bongos while yelling randomly together. So bad! But again a no.1 hit with a poor production and arrangement. In this case most points clearly go to the image and appearance of those boys, because it was the first boygroup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

So what analogy comes to our eyes? A melody - as simple as possible - is more important than everything else. And much more important is to sing it like "Nananana nananana nananananana ..." or "Ohohohohoh ... ohohohohoh". ;) And i go further: For me writing a hit is the art of hiding melodic and harmonic simplicity behind distractive elements. (rhythm, sound, structure, voice character, look and appearance etc.)

Please let your hate flooding this thread and give me your examples and explanations how the lousiest songs in your opinion could get that popular! Get relief my believers!

BUT DON'T FORGET! If someone hates your most loved song (Greetings to all Roxette fans!) he or she is not a dick or idiot, but rather has only a different taste. We can describe why we love the shitty song, but we wont insult each others! Yes? :mates:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Honestly this is nothing. Only one person escalated on his own as usual. And you know, it might be a forum, still it's reality.
    People disagree, have a laugh or whatever. You saw the pizzagate thread, the serum thing is a pale joke.

People will always disagree on softwares, who's the best team, or whatever. And boys will be boys.

4. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

Music is an art and as every art forms, it is a subjective matter.
    Appreciation is subjective and so are tastes.
    To some people, certain colors may appear pale and/or fade while others find them bright and inspiring.
    The same applies to other's opinion.

In music, there is so much variety in either genres, styles, rhythms, sounds... it goes to infinity...
    Whether you like a song or not, there is always creativity behind and who are we to judge the creativity of others.
    I may not like some type of music and specific songs as well but I will never call it "SHIT". :dont:

I think this thread is meant to be a provocative waste of time to nourish hate and insult.

I think the word to remember here is RESPECT.
    By the way, I love Aretha Franklin :bleh:

And instead of vomiting on the songs you dislike, why don't you talk about your preferred ones? I think it would be way more positive.

Have a nice day y'all !

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

This is one of my most hated song which has reached n°1 in the 1985 Eurochart Hot 100.
    I hate it so much that it would be a real torture to listen and analyze what makes that I hate it so much.
    How does it reach the first place remains a total mystery to me, especially at a time when masterpieces followed each other at the same speed/rhythm than the worst dung (today things are clearer since there is almost only dung).

Just as detestable, the following two shits have inexplicably reached a somewhat lower heights...

6. Elisea

Elisea Guest

Hahaha! Wow! Thats amazing!

So the logic behind this is: If there is a postive or neutral thread, lets get rude and troll the hell out of it.
    But if there is a thread to be rude and let it out, you think it needs to be more positive? LOL

And no Talmi, I can't spot only one person who escalated something, it was a dynamic process with more people involved. I'am a newbie here, so i don't know wich anymosities or blank nerves exist, but its anoying.

Its a HATE thread. If you don't like, just don't reply!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2017
  7. Elisea

Elisea Guest

@The Revenant

OMG! I just pissed myself watching this. So funny! Can't even see anything because of tears. I was about 11 yo when i fell in love with comanchero, but now ... LOOOOL! The Video is pure gold! Can't stop laughing!
    (I also hate Modern Talking. And I'am embarrassed to confess, that i liked the song as a kid.)

8. The Revenant

... Which does not prevent a vast majority of us to consider that poop tastes bad and chocolate tastes good (and we all agreed both have same color):rofl:.

9. Elisea

Elisea Guest

Another one:

But i guess most of the songs i loved as a kid. The simplicity was then just fun and good feeling but turnt later into blunting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. The Revenant

That's very strange, but some of the records that I hated "moderately" when I was young, today I find them not so bad, probably because now my musical experience allows me to appreciate certain things in a piece that were then passed unnoticed.
    But you raise an interesting point: there are few young people capable of appreciating the complex and subtle music that delight our old ears, and this is probably due to the fact that the majority of them do not bother to look for great music but merely listen that shit on the radio - so we need to educate them...

11. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

We tend to think of ourselves as sophisticated adults. But actually, we are so much simpler. What we desire most is communion. We want to be part of a group (that's why we're here on the forums). And it isn't different in terms of music. We tend to like what others like, if those others are considered likable. That builds a base of communion and so we are pleased. ("Have you heard the new song of xy?" "Oh yeah, it's soooo good!")
    Based on that it is pretty clear that successful songs will always find common ground. The simpler in all aspects of a song, the more likely it is to attract many different people. For example, people like to clap along. Therefore you rarely hear any other signature than 4/4. People like to whistle along, so the melodies are easy to replicate. People like to song along. So the chorus often is just a keyword, or at least reduced to a few words, easy to remember. Etc.

I would have mentioned "Modern Talking" as my first example. But it was already presented. So I will instead point to this #1 in 1982 horror:

I'm pretty sure, besides the simplicity, her success as an actress at the time made her #1.

And I'm sorry, but there's one song that is so bad that I can't stand it for more than a few seconds. The decorated screaming, repeated until infinity, and the yodeling is so annoying. I have no clue why this piece of mediocre made it to the top:

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. The Revenant

May be right for some (mainly young people) but totally false in my case: I'm not looking for "communion" nor to being "part of a group". In fact I hate nearly all kind of groups - which, by definition, are bunches of stupid segregationists who fights against others.
    In fact, I'm so individualist (but not under its egoist form) and anarchist that I refuse to be cataloged as a partisan of "individualist anarchism", because this would make me fall into a group against my will.
    I'm just here to learn, read opinions, advices and share mines to all kind of people... and groups:winker:.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  13. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

That advice goes for all sides, right?

14. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I replied to your comment !
    If you don't want reply to it, well don't make it.
    No one escalated and no one saw anything in this thread beside two persons. In fact no one even saw any harm (there are like 50 "laughs" on it included the ones of the OP, not one disliked until you popped in, to tell us how you feel about joking). But indeed you're a newbie here, maybe you have trouble reading situations :dunno:
    And the forum well it is what it is. Most people come here because they appreciate it, free to you to not appreciate it :wink:. Democracy in action and all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Bobs Ur Unkle

Bobs Ur Unkle Ultrasonic

With all respect intended, how old are you guys ? not the arguing, as in the year of this music,

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Totally agree. I almost don't remember the songs, this old I am. :winker:

17. The Revenant

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

There is this assumption with some people that this is a PG-13 forum, lol.

Also, hate is a strong word. I have huge respect for Modern Talking and Roxette.
    Modern talking set the bar for high quality german italo disco sound in the 80s and sold as much records as the Beatles. Some of their songs are very reminiscent of Bee Gees, simple songs with good beats.
    I grew up with rock, hard rock and metal yet always had appreciation for these bands and musicians, especially Italo Disco.
    IMO none of these songs are really that annoying, especially compared to some modern acts its quite enjoyable stuff :)
    Once you start doing your own shit and spend countless hours writing and producing stuff, you kind of look at these songs differently.
    Takes talent to write catchy songs. But then again you can show your material so we can see on which level you operate ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@Alisea: As for Whitney Houston's "Always love you" it was all about the feature with her and Keven Costner "Bodyguard".
    Was a great deal for my girlfriend back then. Me, I was in Rock, hated Disco and Escalator Music.
    Back then, it was the time, girls looked like exploded pillows on the head and had a lot broader shoulders than me.:woot:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

1960/61? Best years ever :mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I don't really hate none of the above.

I'm hearing almost every kind of music. From classical, electronica, techno, rap, pop ..." It depends on mood, mostly.
    The only things I really hate is Disco and 'Schlager' (a special form of german Pop only acceptable with a lot of beer (at least 6 liters) plus Eisbein&Sauerkraut). These both make me aggressive as hell and I would leave a party. :disco: