FINALLY found a vocalist. New original.

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by musicman61554, Oct 31, 2016.

1. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. musicman61554

musicman61554 Ultrasonic

KJ I love the videos. For some reason it didn't notify me so I just logged in to see if anything was posted and it was. Looking forward to your other videos. Love it man.

3. kjfarrell

No worries man, sorry I haven't uploaded another earlier. Just finished uni for the year so I have more time for some more very soon.

4. kjfarrell

Mixing Safety in Slumber: This time I work on the main vocals, with effects, serial compression and automation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Hey KJ...Why didn't you either write an automation, re-record while riding the vocal fader or just raise up and re-record the softer place in the vocal track? The compressors wouldn't have to work nearly as hard and perchance the vocal would feel and sound more dynamic and less sqishy sounding (to my ears). It might also be less sibilant after compression so the need to de-ess less an issue. It is always better not to use a de-esser, but you know those issues that come up when using one. Time is ....

About proximity effect and dynamics, an Electro Voice RE-2O works really well with loud or dynamic screamers, vocalists that like to eat the mike because there isn't almost hardly any proximity effect or ppp popping. It is rather a great mic.

6. danfuerthdan

danfuerthdan Newbie

Can you share those stems?
    Problem 1 is the line hum you got going, that is not acceptable to work on the stems. You need to make your own ISO transformers like I do. Especially USB and Firewire ISO tansformers so that HUM line does not interfere with your guitar signals. Buy or build your own ISO transformers. I make the 1/8 line out ISO transformers from Cell Phone chargers, Pain in the ass to break through the hard plastic and cut out the 1:1 small transformer from the other components. Each 1/8 stereo line out ISo transformer is about $40 to buy from amazon, I make them for free. Solder iron, thrown out wiring and cell phone chargers from garbage. I clearly hear the Line Hum right at the beginning.
    If you can share those stems would be great. ( Stems are primary tracks no treatment, no fx, no eq straight into the daw)

7. kjfarrell

Yup I did :) So I used both automation and Serial Compression.

8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I like to use waves vocal rider and write the automation from it so I can manually tweak it if needed be.

Also this way the compressors dont have to work so hard and can be used more for color/flavor. Like the glue/ssl emu in ableton. If I'm not using third-party compressors or console emus, I'll put glue on every channel and engage the soft clipping even if I'm not using the compressor module to squash anything. It adds a little bit of flavor that accumulates and helps glue the song together as a whole.

You can copy only the volume automation that vocal Rider writes (Ctrl+Alt+C) and paste it (ctrl+v) to utility. You have to open utilitys volume automation in a new lane to do this.
    This way you can keep the channel volume fader free of automation. After you do this you don't need the vocal Rider plug-in anymore and you can delete it

One more thing if there's big differences in volumes in the parts I will use the inter-sample gain/volume and turn up the really low parts of the performance so it works better with the threshold setting on waves vocal Rider

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Sorry, I guess I must have missed it?

10. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

first off i wana say hats off to you for the hard work an time you put into these videos good job \m/ jus remember if you change Drum samplers from say Kontakt to Superior or any other>>> they all handle velocity in a Dif way >>> what i mean is pay close attention to the ghost notes on the snare in your mix compare with the Original ;) you'll need to adjust them manually to back them off some >>> an you can first try to adjust the amount of layers on the snare in Superior drummer <<< add more layers >>> see if that helps first to get more of the feel of the original track >>>> But good job man i can see you workin hard on this \m/ EDIT >>> oh yeah an if you have that Transient Designer on the snare to heavy it will destroy the feel aswell \m/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

EZ Player Pro from toontrack is a great tool for tweaking drum midi to work with different plugin standards. It has presets for all the mainstream drum plugins and even GM.
    I have used it before to take an EZ drummer midi song performance and make it work with older kontakt lib of slates drums. The cymbals and toms were mapped differently and my hi hat accents were all over the place. I loaded my drum midi into this plug routed the midi out to kontakt, selected one of the kontakt presets, turn the knob to adjust the velocities, and all was sorted by the plug in.
    You can tweak it on the fly while its playing, overall velocities, min and max velocity, etc. Extract just the snare midi and so on.
    It can save you hours of work manually tweaking drum midi in a piano roll.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

We must be from the same bloodline man \m/ i use this for mapping to other samplers too \m/ this thing is godsend ! nothing more time consuming than to map manually :woot:

13. musicman61554

musicman61554 Ultrasonic

Yea I have an interesting setup for drums. I use Matt Halpern Drum Samples in Kontakt, Superior Drummer Cymbals and Suspended Cymbals (Kontakt library). Looking forward to all of this being done. I appreciate the crazy work being put into this track.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Suspended Cymbals? I must have missed that one.
    All we want is to be on the VIP list when you come to our cities on tour :headbang::metal::wink:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Liking OP's track! Agree on some further mix work but this song is great and the vocalist rocks! You guys need to finish an album and take it to the streets:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Master Q

Master Q Producer

woah hold your horses there will be no mix off without me in it ........... Please send me those tracks ! Inbox me for My email my assistant will do the rest !

17. musicman61554

musicman61554 Ultrasonic

I messaged you Master Q

18. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@musicman61554 Thanks for mentioning the Suspended Cymbals lib. I will definitely be getting a lot of use out of this. Cymbal rolls with the mod wheel for velocity? Helfukya!
    Something EZD and SD were missing, cant have a proper intro/breakdown without cymbal rolls

19. musicman61554

musicman61554 Ultrasonic

No problem man, for the price of it it was a no brainer. The samples are amazing.

20. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Happy thanksgiving \m/ this is Original mix first an my mix from yesterday 2nd \m/ im gona tweak it tighten it up some after this Turkey haha>>> an i post the finish print tommorrow \m/ Enjoy !!! \m/

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List