Finally Entered My First Composers Competition

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RitchieM, Nov 7, 2021.

1. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

First time I have tried something like this, I do compose meditation music, but this is my first attempt trying to do something like this.

• Like Like x 15
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. samsome

samsome Guest

great intension and release! well done, keeps it exciting

must have taken you quite a while to do this?

4. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Thank you. I just downloaded the vid and voice then wrote that, probably about 20 hours because I have never really had a template before for composing, so kind of made one for Cubase as I went. Never done anything to picture before, so was fun and interesting to do, was trying to challenge myself.

5. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

nice sound. the 4th chord is wrong imho.

6. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Thank you, what do you mean by “wrong”? In terms of the composition or you would have chosen a different chord in there?

7. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

That's very cool, great job on your composition.

8. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Thank you very much!

9. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

Well done sounds good and thanks for sharing it.

10. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Thank you very much indeed.

11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Great to hear you did this!! best of luck

12. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Thank you, it was weird trying to score video, especially when you can’t mess with the supplied video and voice track, but I learned a lot more, so will definitely be doing more for training purposes.

13. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Good work! Personally, I would have worked much more dissonantly and in lower registers between 0:40 and 0:57 to trigger an even more unpleasant feeling in the viewer, and would have taken the arrow shot to return to a more pleasant harmony, but that is of course a matter of taste. All in all a very good job, buddy! Especially for the first time :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  14. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Great first effort! Perhaps using indigenous sounding instruments would have been more congruent in conveying the message aa well as creating two tempo zones in order to keep the viewer involved as time moved on and so grabbing their attention. The music in something like this in my opinion should not be lurking in the background but rather an integral part of the storytelling.

15. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

That was my first thought, too. But since even the great film composers no longer seem to attach any importance to such trifles as the ethnic-cultural context in their compositions, I simply took it as a given.

16. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Thank you, I have to say I wish I had pushed that element a bit more, but as I was doing it, it felt like it may have been enough of a change, however yes, some more dissonant elements should have been added. Really appreciate the reply.

17. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Thank you very much. I tried to differentiate the 2 different elements, and did drop out some part and then add in the big drums, but maybe I should have taken that further. To be honest, I struggle with drum stuff, but I will definitely try that as a compositional technique, and I was struggling to to find a tuned instrument that would fit in, so I ended up using the harp (I know, that typical Amazonian instrument!! Hahaha). Really appreciate the feedback.

18. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Well, it might intefer with the rules since it's a commercial for a political party (sry for that - please ignore the political aspect), but purely from the audiovisual point of view I think it's pretty good. Great emotional guide in composition. Maybe this example will help you with your next composition.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  19. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

That is very good, but definitely beyond my current skill level! When I did my composition, I didn’t listen to the original or any of the others, because I just wanted to be able to try to do it without “inspiration” beyond what I was seeing. I guess like a brief would be received normally (I know they might give guidance), I didn’t want to be influenced by others on it. Was certainly a learning experience, and keen to do more in different styles too.

20. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

There are so many ways to do a great film score now. I remember hearing the closing score for Black Panther and it was a mix of great orchestration, dynamics, ethnically related voices, sound FX and much more. Sometimes the composer is called upon to hit specific cues.
    Also, keep in mind this is his first score ever, it is almost a certainty that they gave no script or director's intent other than the spoken word and imagery. Yes, I get that certain scenes should invoke hits, or a style, or a mood etc... Generally in a paid job the director/producer has a very clear cut idea of what they want and where the want the rises and falls, soft and fluffy, in your face etc etc... For a first attempt I think he did really well.

Last, sometimes in competitions like this by audio houses, there are hints of nepotism. Not often, but it does happen and the potential winner(s) have already been put towards the top of the list. Not always thankfully and people nobody has heard of win because their music is closer to what the director wanted. I have seen unrelated music win competitions like thsi.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

@RitchieM I hope you keep going into these things even if you win :) I see how passionate you are about music and that's a great thing. All it takes is one Director to say "That's what I am looking for !!" and you're in...
    No musician of worth you will meet or who you admire is likely to say anything other than they are still learning or on a journey. We are all learning. The moment anyone says they're not, it is time to regroup and take a break so when they return they can recommence the learning. :winker: