Filter Techniques

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Uprock, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Uprock

Uprock Kapellmeister

Hello, im working on an intro for a house track with filtered vocals coming in.
    So i just wondered what techniques would you use? like HP or LP with delays/reverb or recommend a plugin ? I have filterfreak 1&2 & volcano 2, but im not happy with what i create! or is it just a simple LP/HP & not try to over think! Any advice please?

3. executioner

executioner Guest

Hmm, what are you trying to create? If what you want is an HP/LP effect then the plugins you listed can do those, you can even use a stock EQ, so if you are unhappy with your filters then you're either doing it wrong, or it doesn't fit with what you're trying to create (the former is more likely). Using delays and reverb can be interesting but it really depends on the content and the vibe you're trying to create, so it's hard to answer. When in doubt, find some references that do filtered intros, it shouldn't be that hard and I think you're overthinking it. Give us more details on what you're filtering, maybe we can give arrangement advice.

Update: I just loaded a House playlist on Spotify and every other one had a filtered effect. Is this what you're trying to achieve?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Usually, rising LP or widening BP (from radio to full).
    You could additionally automate the reverb or delay amount and the delay's feedback. Also moving it around in pan can sound nicely.
    The slope of the automation is important too.

5. Uprock

Uprock Kapellmeister

Chopped different vocal parts mainly. but leading into a breakdown.As for
    different vst's
    Soundspots Nebula/Kara sound pretty good

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

I checked out a demo of NoiseAsh Action Filter and I loved it! But it's part of an expensive bundle and a little CPU intensive. Sound was amazing though. I have used the FF Volcano before and Micron, and they are quite nice. But I'd skip all the other bullshit plugins out there, as there are just too many.

UVI Shade does anything you might want to do with EDM types of music. After that you might find yourself discussing Tone, like a guitarist. Because it will do anything you want. Besides sound like an Emu. Or a Moog Ladder filter.

A technique I like to use with any filter, is to make 1 bar blocks, by bouncing the same audio with different Filter Parameters. And then resequence them into a progression. If you want smooth automation, you can still send it back through the effect in another bounce pass. It becomes a workflow issue then, and is much faster and saves CPU/Ram resources. A smooth filter sweep is wonderful too, but the best filter/style for that is the Moog/cloned Ladder.

Watch a video of Olav Basoski doing filter disco house! He is so methodical about these. It can apply to any DAW or genre of dance music.

You can very much screw up your music with these tricks by introducing resonances all over the place. Ones that are difficult to fix, but can give you new musical ideas as well. So then you get into Resonance Suppression, or Distortion/creative techniques involving your filter's output signal.
    Most of the time, you have just overdone it with the filter level of effect.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  7. Uprock

Uprock Kapellmeister

Yep i agree, i used too use camel space back in the day! but now loads to choose from! HY-Filter 4 looks good aswell

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'd love to see Dave Rossum/Rossum-electro make a Morpheus For Men™. With Stereo 1/4" TRS instead of modular/Eurorack 1/8 style i.o. lol. With No BS gimmick junk. Maybe even 2 of them inside a box in serial/parallel options, or whatever. And not with a 4000$ price tag. Just an effects box. Audio in/Audio Out, Filters, Power Supply, and USB. Hardware shiny and all metal. Need the mailing address for the prototype of my idea.? thx. :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022