Filter and cutoff freq resonance

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by nmkeraj, Apr 22, 2019.

1. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Guys, We work with filters and resonance of frequencies near cutoff. Why does resonance amplify only cutoff area? Why are there no filters with resonance working with any frequency in a range of an open filter? I don't know if it made any sense for sound designing? Would it be similar to boosting freqs in EQ?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Yes, you could just use a parametric EQ with high Q setting and boost whatever frequency you like.

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Because that's how resonance work (on lowpass, highpass, bandpass). You can stack filters on top of each other (at different frequencies) to create different resonances.
    What is it that you want to do? Could you rephrase the question?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

or you could use Soundtoys Filterfreak. Your problem has already been solved by them :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

7. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

I am not a sound engineer. I am just curious about it. Why is resonance stuck at cutoff point? And nobody has moved it. Does low or high pass filter exist that can adjust resonated frequencies? I will try Filterfreak. Volcano may do it but I think it can overlap few filters giving the effect. Thanks for your replies.

8. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Cutoff is the point (frequency) where the filter starts rolling off. The resonance boosts this frequency around its pivot. The famous TB-303 squelch was made by turning the resonance up and running it through a distortion (to further add upper harmonics and to compress and saturate the sound).

There are different kinds of filter algorithms (butterworth, Chebyshev, elliptic, etc) that has different shapes and qualities. There is also a ripple parameter that you can modulate to enhance different shapes of the filter. Maybe that's what you are asking.

I don't know what other frequencies you want to adress, or how you want the filter (LPF, HPF, BPF, notch/band-reject, comb, formant, etc) to behave. Maybe you can draw a picture in order to make it clearer.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  10. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

this is how resonance works resonance1.jpg

and why not like this resonance2.jpg

or even not like like that

• List
  11. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

resonance3.jpg as notch resonance

12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

^ How would you define where these bells/notches would be, if not around the cutoff?

Have you looked at the shape of the classic Pultec EQ? It does something similar, but maybe that's not what you are after either?
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

After looking at your pic, the only way I can think of to accomplish this is EQ Sweeping. You can take a bands resonance and sweep it across the entire band spectrum to get this effect: https://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/how-to-use-eq-sweeping/ If you have a synth that provides a 6 or 12 band EQ filter, and has the ability to modulate separate bands, you could even use this as a dynamic musically.

14. G String

G String Rock Star

Is that different to an eq? No?

I automate sweeps in fabfilter proeq.

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's really interesting what you came up with. You would like to have a filter that can boost a different frequency than the cutoff frequency. You can only do that with an EQ as far as synth filters go. There's nothing like it in the synthesiser world. Except my Kurzweil K2000 can do it. But of course with an EQ and filter, not just filter alone.

Filter developers should take notice, I suppose. :) It's not a bad idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

In Fabfilter Volcano2 (for example) you can link one filter to another, so that when you move/modulate a lowpass filter cutoff you also move a bandpass filter cutoff (just as an example). You can link up to four filters together like this. Maybe that is what you are looking for?
    [​IMG]

In most synths (maybe all) you can key-track filters, so when you play different notes the filters will move the cutoff frequency accordingly to pitch. Volcano2 also take MIDI input like this, and moves the cutoff(s) according to what you play or "draw" in your pianoroll. So in essance, you can load the filter with white noise and feed it MIDI-notes and the (say) narrow bandpass filter will "play" the monophonic melody that you feed it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

Resonance is not a moveable point of equalisation.

Cutoff is used to block certain frequencies from a sound. In a standard LP (Low Pass) cut/reso filter, cutoff determines the range of high frequencies to be cut.

Resonance is narrow band of frequencies, near the cutoff level, where the sound is amplified.

I hope Bob Moog isn't reading this thread. He was resting in peace up until now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

This illustrates why every person making electronic music MUST own one hardware synth. Neither software nor graphs explain it until it becomes a tactile thing. It's the difference between reading a book about how to swim and actually swimming.

20. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

I say 2 ...Minimum. Subtractive & Additive. THEN a complete picture can be painted ...It's a rainbow of flavors :disco:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

It's all about rainbows with you isn't it. Ever since you got your first My Little Pony for your 21st birthday and named her "Princess Sparkles." In a strange way I envy your life of kaleidoscopic wonders.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2019