'files is running as administrator'

Discussion in 'PC' started by boomoperator, Sep 4, 2023.

1. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Hi,

Since recently, when I start the formerly known Explorer, I'm getting a popup:
    'files is running as administrator'
    And below that it reads:
    'Due to platform limitations, drag an drop isn't available when running Files as administrator.'

Now, I do like to drag and drop from 'Files' (I guess it's the new name of the Explorer).
    But how do I return this function? I looked up this Files.exe - found it in:
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps

But when I R.click this program, go to Properties > Compatibility 'Run this program as an administrator' is UNselected.
    So now I'm lost! How do I get drag & drop back to Explorer/Files?

I'm running Windows 22H2, in a stripped down version from Nexus (similar to Oprekin).

Thanks!

3. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

How are you starting the "file explorer"? If it's from the "file explorer" icon in the taskbar (or any other icon/shortcut) that icon/shortcut might set for "run as admin"? Try right clicking (checking properties) of the icon(s) or shortcut(s) used to start "file explorer" and see if "run as admin" is enabled on any of them...

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I don't know with your version of Windows, but with Windows 10, both the explorer and the program where you want to drop the file must be running as admin. Or none of them.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Did you edit any group policies lately?

6. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

How about Windows+E?

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

If this were Windows 10, I'd open Task Manager (ctrl-shift-escape), change to more details / classic mode, go to the "Details" tab, sort by name, right click all instances of explorer.exe -> "End task", then (and only then) in the menu bar "Run -> New task", make sure "admin privileges" is unchecked -> "explorer".

That restarts Explorer as user instead of admin.

No idea if this still works in W11 or if it needs to be adjusted for some combination of explorer.exe & file(s).exe

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Sorry for the late reply, I had a deadline to meet, so didn't want to mess with the System.
    It appeared this Files application was built into my Nexus lite Windows 10, replacing the old Explorer.
    I deleted it. Now most is back to normal. Except that there's no Quick Access, but that's another matter.
    Thanks everyone for responding!