Field Recordings - Gear, Experiences & Feedback!

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by phloopy, Oct 29, 2016.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I have long been busy with chasing the sounds of nature with my semi-professional equipment. I am really happy with my shootings, but would like to get some feedback on the equipment I use and ideas on how I can improve the same equipment - also other experiences related to field recordings in general are more than welcome.

My gear:

-AKG C568EB condenser microphone
    -Tascam DR-100 recorder
    -AKG K271 MKll headphones
    -Millenium PP2B external phantom power supply
    -Reinhardt Soft-Zep MKll zeppeliner/blimp
    -Lowepro compact AW bag
    -Best cables money can buy

NB: I record everything in 24/96.

If any are interested I´ll add a few examples of what I have recorded so far!

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

This right here... is a controversial topic. I'll just be over here with my popcorn, watching your thread get derailed :)

btw field recording seems like a cool idea. I love making drums with foley sounds. Just can't find the justification to spend....what... $150 on a recorder and carry it around with me. So I'll be content to just use what other people have recorded

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

only have a Zoom H2n and some cheap earbuds, the H2n does good recordings. still have some problems with moving air/wind, that i get not a clean recording, but 30-40 bucks for a windjammer? not in the cards, will just use an old sock, should work alike.

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

-Get derailed :)
    Just an experience you have in general that my threads or threads like this gets derailed?

-I'll be content to just use what other people have recorded
    It´s pretty refreshing doing recordings like this .... I my case: Lot of fresh air, curious ppl you have conversations with, and the pleasure of testing what you have hunted down:yes:

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I like the idear of an old sock :)! Zoom makes great recorders and even their cheap ones are brilliant!

7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@ArticStorm 10 bux for this one.. but it looks like a geriatric troll wig... :winker:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Movo-WS2-...screen-Muff-Fits-up-to-3-X-80mm-/141201699476

@phloopy you gonna put up some examples?
    would be cool to hear what quality your gear is capturing

I have the DR-1 so maybe not so useful for this... but I have been known to set up
    a mic and laptop in a breezeway to catch some rain sounds..and windchimes
    came out fine for me even with a cheap USB mic

and this looks like a good starter kit from B&H , windscreen included.. plus

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/849173-REG/Zoom_H2n_Portable_Recorder_Value.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2016
    • List
  8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I surely will .... but going from 24/96 to a MP3 is not really my cup of tea!! I´ll look into it and see if I can find a good solution!

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

@Herr Durr a friend told me even the more expensive wind jammers dont really work good, so the sock should work the best in terms of price and result. :D
    cant buy anything on amazon, they have no paypal.

10. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I just think the benefits, lack thereof, of expensive cables is one of those topics that just steals the focus from other threads. Lots of different opinions there

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@phloopy I have some apps that will play wav and flac... :yes:

@Cav Emp since you have mentioned the cables issue x2 now...
    what is your position on these? of course GC always wants to sell you the
    most expensive gar-on-teed fo' life cables...

but what is your position on the matter... do tell.. :grooves: (vis a vis field recordings, of course,

just mention those words..and you are technically still on topic :bleh: )

12. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Well I don't have any experience with high end cables (or field recording for that matter), so I'll try and abide my own advice, which goes something like: if you can't form an informed opinion, it's better not to have an opinion at all.

But I can apply what I think is a very valid rule of thumb to this topic: If you can't afford high end monitors, and you need high end monitors to really hear a difference, it's a waste of money. I always point to who the end consumer is: probably somebody streaming from a smartphone/laptop 65% of the time, someone in a car with a stock sound system 25% of the time, hifi home/car system maybe 9.9%, and other producers/engineers probably 0.1%

I've never listened to a great mix and thought, boy, I bet he used really expensive cables to make that. Not saying it doesn't make a difference. But it's probably one of the very last things I'd spend money on, only when I have everything else squared away

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Who here actually talkes about cables besides you :dunno::dunno::dunno:

?????

14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I recall one guy bragging about having *duh duh da daaaa* the very best cables money can buy

More importantly, I didn't come here to argue with anybody, been keeping things light and friendly/silly. So why the confrontational tone?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Having good cables are essential. As well as plugs and jacks (I use Neutrik). "Weakest link" and all that. I tend to used George L's because I know they are good (as they greatly improve my electric guitar tone). I solder my own and try to keep the length down to minimum, as it will improve the overall sound.

I record field sounds and Foley for an upcoming green-lit game. I currently have a Tascam DR-100mkII, AKG k271mkII, Line Audio CM3 mics (in mono, X/Y or A/B), DIY binaural mics (Primo EM172), contact/piezo mics, induction coil mics, etc. I'm currently looking for two suiting large diaphragms with figure8 option, as I want to record with Blumelein setup (it sounds fucking fantastic).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@phloopy I have seen some rather detailed arguments about cable quality on different gear sites..
    so it apparently does matter ( in theory).. but I like to ask people here.. e.g. @Cav Emp , who have real world experience
    to see if the quality of their sounds in enhanced as stated in the "pro" opinions.. who of course.. have a monetary
    interest in selling more pricey cables... reality checks can save you in a lot of ways bro..

and who knows , it may even get you better quality field recordings as well.. :yes:

@Baxter did you ever put up any of your field stuff? SC ?

17. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

No. Never really needed to. Well, I have two examples. One is a track made entirely from sounds recorded with a semi-crappy Zoom H4n (the handling noise is pretty absurd) as an assignment when I studied sound design at university:

A second clip is a recording with two piezo/contact mics taped to an aluminum tray, left outside when it was raining.

18. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

had this in physics courses, the signal gets altered when it it transmitted through the cable the longer the length is(damping involved and other things).
    so its important to have a good material, which does transmit in clean way.
    it also reduced the noiseless quite a lot.

its just a side acitivity for me, so i dont want to pump to much money into.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

thanks.. cracking those babies open now..

@Baxter part of that reminds me of some stuff Zappa used to do..
    I swear they could use that in theme music for a kids show or something..

don't know what it is about rain.. it almost always sounds good.. no matter what
    treatment it gets... nice :wink:

20. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Interesting setup Baxter! :like:

21. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

:like::like::like::like::like: Thanks Bater! A lot of informations in a few words!