Field Recording: Portable Digital Audio Recorder (Zoom H2n)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by au38wzh, May 7, 2015.

1. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

Hi,

I'd like to do more field recording.
    Then I'd like to transfer the recorded audio to my PC and then load it into NI-Kontakt (or/and Omnisphere2) to work with the sounds.

I have the "Zoom H2n Accessory Kit Bundle" in mind.
    'Baxter' mentioned it in an older topic.

I read that the soundquality is decent enough.
    Should I also buy the additional 'Windscreen' or is the 'Foam Windscreen' included in the "Accessory Kit Bundle" enough?

Can someone tell me about her/his experiences or suggest another portable audio recorder?

Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for all the replies. I bought the 'Zoom H2n Accessory Kit Bundle'.

3. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

I still like my Olympus LS-11 very much. There are also newer Olympus models. The quality is also great and it's a lot smaller than the Zoom.

4. Gnib

Gnib Producer

I still use the first model H2 to my great satisfaction. The foam windscreen is OK. Just it's very sensitive when operating so buy a silicon protecting shield and don't tap on it.

The sound quality is great.

5. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

Zoom H6 is you feel fancy. Or zoom h1 if you are on a budget.

6. leefishermusic

leefishermusic Newbie

An alternative if you're on an iPhone is the RODE iXY

7. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I have a Zoom H1 and I can't be happier with it. It is clear sounding, no noticeable noise, and the stereo image is very good. You have to set the input level sensibly though. It is always preferable to err on the low-input safeguard and boost it later.

8. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Don't bother with 24 bitdepth with those Zooms. Or 96K for that matter. I've a H4n and it's usesless for serious work but nice for some quick records. Internal mikes are crap, use external.

9. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

The WSU windscreen is necessary when recording in really windy situations, If you expect those, I would buy it. Too much wind can really fuck up a recording.
    96 Khz is used when pitching down sounds a couple of octaves or doing extreme time stretches.