FiDef

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by Lieglein, Mar 25, 2022.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Nope, it's independent from the gain, it looks for the freqs and adds a broad bell shape like noise which follows the freqs. That's why in my test (post #3) there was no difference for a whole track because this results in a full freq noise. Whereas on single instruments it was easily identifiable for me.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Ah, so on full spectrum signals it really only creates noise.
    That's great.

3. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

wtf are you talking about ? :woot:
    Edit : ok, don't bother, I found out.
    absolutely useless to me

4. No Avenger

It just creates noise, even for single instruments, but not static, it goes up and down with the levels and the freqs.

5. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Yes exactly. That's the wobbling and wavering around in PluginDoctor. I've tried a sinus after this of course and the wobbling was very clear audible. :hahaha:

But in a sub-audible, psychoacoustic, hi-res and very musical way of course. :guru:

6. No Avenger

Exactly, to wobble, or not to wobble, that's the question. [​IMG]

The marketing is bullshit, of course. like customized to directly stimulate the brain, bypassing cognitive processing or informs your brain of the subtle potentials within a recording. Really? :wtf:

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The plugin comes from the cloud so directly from God. With this plugin you can talk to God on the phone.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

My take on this :

1. Can I hear it ? yes but it is too subtle.
    2. Did it harm my music in any way possible, adding noticeable hiss or buzz, or making my mix's fidelity sounds like 128kbps mp3 ? No.
    3. Did it make my music better ? No.
    4. So my music is better without it ? also No.
    5. Can I tell if it is there on a blind test the next morning with fresh ear ? HELL NO.
    6. Might as well leave it on the masterbus before the limiter once in a while for science and keep a list of every track that has it. If it really does that voodoo magic shit, good for me.
    7. If it does nothing whatsover, I lose nothing.
    8. Will I pay for this shit ? No.

Been using the Fidef function in the MAAT thEQBlue for quite sometimes now lol, nothing special.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  9. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

... and way cheaper.

10. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

So this is what airwindows' Texturize clones for free?

11. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I took a look at it and yes, it does something similar. The wobbling in the frequency spectrum is not as wild as in FiDef and the non linearity is not the same as well.
    But basically it's kind of the same random behavior.
    Simply not the same texture in noise and frequency spectrum. But yes, it's a noise and wobbling generator as well. :winker:

Just for free. :yes:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  12. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

We're that close to witnessing releasing of 64-bit floating point digital crystals to remove the bad energies from the mix and ayahuasca in VST3 format. I think Steven Slate is currently nailing his balls for not taking advantage of such an opportunity to unleash his marketing upon us

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Okay, so after having listening through a few mixes, I REALLY DO hear what the added noise-layer is doing. And it's not bad. (I have above average hearing for my age - thank God!)

Now if you are using 'tape/distortion/saturation/harmonic enhancement' plugins on all of your important tracks though, you might never need to use this stuff (Air Windows Silhouette/Texturizer - MAAT FiDef) - ever! You will be adding noise layers to noise layers and that's just gonna sound like a bit much. But if you have some pretty dryly presented, unsaturated bass/drums/vox/guitars/keys making up your digital mix and it sounds great already, then yeah, this technology will add a 'drop-shadow' of useful noise to create a nice sonic image.

Try it.

If you haven't damaged your hearing with gigging, over-use of headphones in your lifetime or because of work-place induced ear-damage, the subtle noise will come through and you'll enjoy it. Your less discerning friends, clients and whatnot might not care/notice, but you'll feel better about your mix/master. That's all that counts.

Signed,
    A Reluctant Convert

EDIT/PS: Proof of concept is the native saturation you hear on anything from 70's you'll note from stems (like Boston/Queen etc.) you can download from the net. There is a natural tape-saturation on everything back then - EVERY TRACK! All part of the naturalization of music - but the funny thing was I bet they all HATED it then and begged for a day when everything would sound clean with no artifacts/distortion at all. Funny, I think!

14. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Yes, we can add Sonnox Inflator with 1-5% wet parallel after this plugin and it will add another "drop shadow". Try it. :winker:
    The problem with most of those plugins always is, we only notice that we needed it after we inserted it.

I do not think that this is a useful approach to sound processing. :no:
    I rather try to figure out what I need before I begin to configure. :thumbsup:

The question always is: "When is the "shadow" completed?" :mates:
    Or am I just fiddling around? :yes:

15. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

YES! :rofl:

16. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

There is nothing new on the horizon!
    The last relevant discovery in audio was the application of infrasound at high amplitude directed to a crowd, that made them shit in their pants!:unsure: