Feedback welcomed !

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Thierry Gaudin, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Thierry Gaudin

Thierry Gaudin Newbie

Hi guys,

I'd like to get feedbacks on this mix :
    YouTube

It was recorded by myself in a bad sounding room... I mixed it and im not satisfy with the result but the artist likes it so i decided to abandon the mix...[​IMG]

I would really appreciate if anyone can give me some feedbacks ! [​IMG]

P.S I've attached the original recording without any processing.

Attached Files:

3. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

Hello Thierry,

j'ai écouté les deux versions, ma première impression sur la version sans fx c'est déjà un peu dilué, les différents instruments sont pas suffisamment marqués, sur la version mixé le coté dilué est un peu plus mis en évidence par les fx.
    La voix sur la version fx est bonne, un peu plus de "souffle" ajouté avec SSL Q par exemple pour lui donner un peu d'intimité?
    Sur la version sans fx il me semble que que les son en général est pas régulier, comme si il y avait un compresseur qui agissait sur l'ensemble..
    Je ne pense pas que tu dois laisser tomber ton son, donne lui du corps! tu a déjà essayé de le mixer au casque d’abord?

Pardon i write in french coz he sings in french.....

4. Cackwizard

Cackwizard Ultrasonic

Hi your song is very good! The only thing I hear as a problem is something strange in the low end, like the bass part. Because I am a noob, I will be interested to see how the folks on here suggest you fix that.

5. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I listened to both but I am only really going to write on the version that has no output buss processing on it. If your base is well built you can get the other stuff to your own tastes.

There are some problems on the low end, there is either a stray compressor pumping or the vocals are too loosely compressed along with the swelling synth things just sound wonky.

Also, who ever is doing the rapping - man they need to work on rapping tighter, more punch and less spit, rapping isn't as tonal as singing but if someone wants to cross the lines and sing a few verses being tone deaf isn't the way.

Everything is a bit hot and wants to break up too easy, this is kind of toned down and well used in the post produced version on youtube, but there is a lot of loss of clarity on the vocals, and everything is just kind of lumped in free for all style. You are tying your own hands on this in the final post production part by just not giving yourself room to make any changes or affect balance too much.

Turn everything down give yourself a lot of headroom and work on the mix sounding as balanced as you think your post production mater should sound, before moving on.

Finally - if the clients like it and they pay, don't argue with money. Take your cut and move on, there is no accounting for taste and we all like different things.

6. Satai

Satai Rock Star

I listened to the attached mp3 only. I think it's a good mix despite all your financial handicaps. For my taste there's not enough spatial treatment on the vocal, it's too dry going over the whole track and doesn't change much. If you give it some delay here, some reverb throws there... could be a lot more exciting and grounded.

I know if you sent this to me for mastering, it would be a fun thing to work with and has the loudness potential we want to see. I would fix the low end (weak there, needs solidity) and then it would really start coming together the way you wanted to.

Do you wanna post the lossless FLAC for the unprocessed mix?

7. Thierry Gaudin

Thierry Gaudin Newbie

Merci

8. Thierry Gaudin

Thierry Gaudin Newbie

Thnks

9. Thierry Gaudin

Thierry Gaudin Newbie

Whats the point in mastering something not mixed ?
    I need feedback on my mix. The mp3 is just there to show how it was recorded.

10. Thierry Gaudin

Thierry Gaudin Newbie

I need feedbacks & critiques on the mix not on the recording which has no output buss processing. This version is for AB comparison with the mix so u can judge my work more accurately.

11. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I think what we have here is a failure in communication.

Can you explain somethings for me so that I know what is going on, and maybe I or (we) can actually give you back something useful.

Did you not EQ or process that recording in any manner. You just summed up raw tracks and dumped them on us? If those are just raw tracks are recorded before gain staging, and equalization all summed together, I fail to see how that could be of any use.

If you want feedback on your MIX, post a MIX, before limiting, heavy 2bus compression and multiband ear drillers and whatever else you decided to throw up on the track.

If you want feedback on a finalized track, after post production, after limiting and sausagination then this is what I think about your track on youtube.

You've boosted the vocal way more than necessary in the 1800 - 5000 it breaks apart in shitty way especially with that HML accent and the autotune. Add to that you entire song sounds HLF and Mid Forward it drills in the ear a little. You need to tighten up the low end and I am not sure because I am not wasting any more time on this, but the youtube version sounds chopped off at about 12 - 14KHz. You might as well have posted a picture of a chocolate cake you made and asked people on the internet how it tastes.

You want feedback on a mix - post a mix - lossless and not a lossy format finalized track. You just want general feedback on finished track ... well there you go.

12. Thierry Gaudin

Thierry Gaudin Newbie

Thank you moose
    What does mean sounding HLF ? I've googled it but didn't find the correct meaning. Same way for HML accent...I've been googling it because I've never heard of it before.

13. m9cao

m9cao Producer

you need bus processing to merge sound of tracks,
    add some m/s eq to cut some low end stuff
    and the panning was wrong, think more, about the role of individual instrument

14. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

HLF: High Low Frequencies somewhere around 200-300Hz
    HMF: High Middle Frequencies (HML was a type supposed to be HMF) 2500-5000Hz. A high mid frequency accent just refers to some sort of high Q bell on that region that is accenting that area in disproportional manner.

15. Thierry Gaudin

Thierry Gaudin Newbie

Ok i got u . Thank you

16. Thierry Gaudin

Thierry Gaudin Newbie

Thank you !