Feedback wanted - Trance Track

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by mox, Dec 12, 2019.

1. mox

mox Member

Greetings all, First of all I would like to say that this community helped me a lot in producing this track and i am really grateful for everyone in the forums and the people who run the website along with the amazing people using it as well. Thank you so much for everything u are AWESOME!

I made my first Trance Track and wanted to get some valuable input from everyone since i just started and every piece of comment is highly appreciate it.

Thank you again for taking the time and listening to the track. I hope u have a fantastic day :)

3. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

You should work on your bass section. Trance is all about "rolling basses" and i hear none hence the lack of punch...My two cents :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. mox

mox Member

Noted! and thank you for feedback :D!

5. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

I agree with the above. Trance, in fact all dance music, relies on a solid kick and bass relationship. Without that the whole track falls flat and has no energy. I would also say that the track has no real structure and just plods along with a single pluck sound and therefore no atmosphere. Try listening to some other trance tracks and analyze how they are structured and the sounds they use. Trance is one of the hardest and most complex genres to do properly.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. mox

mox Member

Noted! However, I know the structure is a bit off and that's because whenever i study Trance Production courses most of them always say try to be different and not stick with the same arrangement it might great it might be not so i just wanted to try something different. I am big fan of Trance music and have been listening to a lot of tunes and i understand your point of study there structure but it seems i have to listen even more carefully :) Thank you for your valuable feedback!

7. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Tracks can become boring when everyone uses the same formula so it's always good to experiment although I would say that most people follow a certain structure because it is proven to be successful. The most important comment here is getting that kick and bass as powerful as possible to drive the track forward. Also maybe add a little more intrumentation to beef up the overall interest and lose that first break at 1:25.

8. mox

mox Member

will do! i will try to mix it up a bit and see where it goes after all if i understood one thing in music production is always try different stuff u never know maybe its the next big sound and you don't know it yet. Appreciate all the help! :D

9. DJK

DJK Rock Star

pre master im guessing, way to quiet, structure is not gr8, but i like what you have here, its melodic:wink:

10. DJK

DJK Rock Star

different is good, however mainstream trance has a formula, mess with it too much and the track is dead, its why i started making psytrance as you have much more freedom,altho even psytrance has a formula you can change it up, its what i did and i had 7 record contracts since april to now

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. mox

mox Member

Thank you for taking the time to listen and appreciate it the advise but may i ask what do you mean by (pre master) ?

for the quite yes i agree it is very quite but that's simply for the reason that i was afraid of clipping (maybe too afraid which made the track as whole quite)

and the structure will do will try to mix it up and see how it goes (maybe stick with what you guys take the most important part of the the main trance structure and add other layers later if needed )

12. mox

mox Member

WoW that's awesome! hope you get even more next year :D !

and yes i will try to stick with the formula, however maybe you can indulge me and direct me to a source where i can study it even more?

13. DJK

DJK Rock Star

thx my friend, pre master is the track thats simply not been mastered, once you master it you will hear the difference in volume, i use T Racks 5 to master

14. DJK

DJK Rock Star

you tube or dl tutorials, a good one on sister site sonic academy james dymond

15. mox

mox Member

noted! james dymond name was given to me more than once really need to check that course

16. DJK

DJK Rock Star

yer its made using fl studio but you can follow in any DAW

17. mox

mox Member

yes i can see that but as you said i can follow in any daw which i did while learning from other courses as well.

18. DJK

DJK Rock Star

good luck with your productions, ever need help or advice hit me up:phunk:

19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@mox Thanks for sharing your first trance track with all of us. You are up to a good start musically and when it comes to accepting constructive criticism. No need to repeat everything that @yabiss, @peterA, and @DJK have already said. I just like to add a couple of things mainly related to its structure. Firstly, I would like to note that there is no "groove " on this track. This is dance music, and therefire if it ain't grooving it ain't going nowhere. Secondly, you need to work on your transitions. There has to be "tension" and "release" BUT without a loss of overall energy in the track. That is exactly what happens at 2:44. If the song is being played at a club, the dancers will not welcome it. The transition at that point is a track killer. Thirdly, there is a problem with the length you choose for your patterns. Sections of the song are or give the impression, based on the arrangement, of coming in way too early and that throws dancers and listeners off balance. The track feels like you are rushing it from the start. It reminds me of the so-called "radio mixes" yet it is over 6 minutes long. One easy fix for it is to use one of your favorite trance tracks as a reference in regards to sound and structure. Drop it in one of the tracks in your DAW. Mute your track and mark every section of this reference track. Once you have every section marked you will then make sure that your track follows the same structural arrangement. This will become your structural template until you become familiar with producing trance. Good luck and happy producing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. mox

mox Member

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my track :D and yes I posted here because every feedback count, and you guys have been in music production more than I have. in my eye's you guys are Professionals and I'am just your student learning and gathering knowledge as much as I can :D

Now you mentioned "groove" I apologize but what do you mean by groove exactly? is it a number of sounds like "Percussion, Plucks and others grouped under groove ? (pardon if my question is stupid xD)

and for the Transitions, Yes i Agree with you they do need more work and I get what you mean by (Track Killer) it really dose lose its power. why i did that way because actually was trying to introduce the Melody of the track but without making to repetitive from the beginning to the end but it ended up having too much breaks in the track with only one Drop which makes it even more (buzz kill) on the dance floor.

For the length of the patterns, I tried to do as a lot of learning material that I studied was to make each Phase of the track about a minute to a minute 30 seconds except the drop which is a bit longer but just like you said it is way better to drag and drop a Trance track and see whats the difference for the structure and build from there till I get the main structure correct.

Thank you for your valuable feedback it is highly appreciated :D!

21. mox

mox Member

Thank you for being so helpful! if i ever have any questions i will sure post :D Have a fantastic Weekend!