feedback please

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Olivier_St, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Olivier_St

Olivier_St Kapellmeister

3. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Those songs sound fantastic! I especially like Toujours and Un Moment!

4. Olivier_St

Olivier_St Kapellmeister

Thank you for your feedback.
    I don't usually work with this kind of orchestration and feel a bit lost when it comes to finding the right balance with these sounds.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

In principle I like the songs and the mix but, as to my taste, they're mastered too loud for this genre. Other than this :like:.

6. dondada

dondada Rock Star

First impression more technical feedback
    song 1
    the drums need more definition like in song three
    song2
    it might be better to use a rimshot instead of a snare
    the rhythm gets a bit lost otherwise
    song3
    maybe this time the drums are a tad bit prominent, overall best mix or balance of the 4
    song 4
    i´m not too sure, the rhythm section isn't together, a bit mushy.
    maybe a bit over processed

maybe its what no-avanger alluded to ;)

have a look on mid 60´es Vietnamese French Music
    this is what i´m referencing, Listen to this song starts @7,25

Your modern take is Nice:disco:

7. Olivier_St

Olivier_St Kapellmeister

I redid the mastering taking into account the opinions posted above.

Thanks @ No Avenger for pointing out that I was very (too) strong. By doing a little research, which I should have done before, I realized that I should aim for -11 LUFS for this style of music.

dondada,
    I think some of your comments were partly due to the mastering.
    As far as using a rimshot is concerned, the effect was not conclusive as it strayed too far from the intended spirit.
    I've listened to your musical reference and I confess I haven't found a match with what I'm proposing.

My English being what it is, not very good, I didn't understand your last sentence.

https://l-o.band/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Toujours-la-meme-chose-1.mp3
    https://l-o.band/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Ca-me-rend-fou-1.mp3
    https://l-o.band/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Un-moment-deternite-1.mp3
    https://l-o.band/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Embarquer-pour-Cythere-1.mp3

It seems to me that the songs breathe more after this new work.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Better now, less obtrusive. I haven't measured the new or the old ones but you find this out by listening at high volume. The first ones were too heavy on the ear.

9. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Agree that these are good tracks that originally were too loud.

Just as a heads up, I managed to grab Toujour La Meme Chose from Post #6 and that sounds much better, and it's a good track. However when I clicked the other 3 (and even the original again) I got a "Forbidden" error.. either it's down, or perhaps hit some sort of bandwidth limit..?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Strange, all four are working here.

11. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Maybe it was just a temporary thing. Again, wondering if a daily bandwidth limit was hit or something.

12. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

i dont necessarily think these are too loud, but i understand that most people would think that. I personally slam every genre to around -7 or -9 lufs. I do many different styles of music for film and tv, and have been in the room with music supervisors when they are going through songs that have been submitted, and they will pick the "louder" song, even if its a shittier mix or even if another song fits the brief better.

I think there is a little too much high end / air. Noticeable especially in the reverbs and drums. Perhaps this was brought on by the mastering chain, clipping, limiting, mb comp etc? Other than that, the tracks have a nice well rounded mix. cool songs!

13. Olivier_St

Olivier_St Kapellmeister

Thank you for your feedback.
    I took a little time to reply because I tried to look for those high frequencies that seem to be bothering you.
    To tell the truth, I didn't find anything really remarkable. Maybe a little on the track "Ça me rend fou", which I've tweaked very slightly.
    Having said that, I'm not young anymore and my ears may have lost some of their high-frequency acuity.

@naitguy
    Do you still find it difficult to access the songs?
    Everything seems fine with me.

14. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Hi @Olivier_St .. yes... I did manage to grab them and they sound good by my ears. I like Un Moment D'eternitie, in particular. As far as the issue, it was just a temporary issue. By the time I replied to No avenger's post, it was working again.

I think it must have just been bad timing.. perhaps the site was temporarily down when I happened to try to download them before, or something.

15. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I thought Embarquer-pour-Cythere was very haunting and interesting. Not all my type of music but I certainly appreciate the effort, imagination and time put into this. Good on you.

It may be my ears and I may be wrong, but I seem to be able to hear the compression and limiting. I indicate myself, because I like transparency, even in mastering. When I get a chance I will listen on my speakers instead of headphones to the second batch again. :)

16. Ryck

Ryck Guest

yep,it's too loud and all the sounds are compressed; I can't be critical about it because everything gets "mixed in." But well, tastes are tastes—if you like it, that's fine, although I would give those songs more "breathing room."

17. 0on3

0on3 Guest

Ah , very very nice !!
    i especially like the "Embark for Cythera" tune , sooooo nice !! i will add the piano part is done so sweet ,
    but it would be awesome with just a touch of plate verb on it. Also , you should go back and add s nice drum set
    to it about the middle of the song. ( Some drum sounds like Pink Floyd ) !!
    your vocal on this piece is very good , I enjoyed your singing alot , but how about a bit of verb and faint delay in
    that as well ?? Would be nice to hear a remix of this piece , its a high quality song , keep going !!!

18. Olivier_St

Olivier_St Kapellmeister

My apologies for the long silence...
    After having tried various things without convincing results following your comments, I finally stuck to what existed.
    However, we did make an English version of "Toujours la même chose", as well as small video montages for each track.
    All 5 titles are now available on digital platforms.
    Here's the video for "Always the same song".