Feedback On This Mix:

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Vincent Price, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello

I have just finished a mix, and I am wanting to know how it sounds from other peoples perspective...any feedback appreciated. The vocals are to be added soon...

Link has been removed
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

- Frequency masking
    - No separation between elements
    - Mono-ish
    - Bass have resonances
    - Kick is buried
    - Bad relation between bass and kick
    - Mid needs a bit of cleaning

but worse of all, it's clean there's not saturation, a bit lifeless and no movement.

but while it's a bit basic, i think you have a somewhat ok mix, backup a copy of your current mix, and with the new one experiment with parallel processing, try to give more life, by saturating your hihats for exemple and sending it back to your drum bus, use an 1176 compressor style and send your whole drums to it, crash it then send in a bit of the processed signal back to your again drum bus...

your bass needs a little bit more cleaning and control, try using this trick, add a compressor Pro C² for exemple, put your threshold to max or at least high, ratio at 1, then start moving your ratio knob up a little until you get between 3 and 6dB of gain reduction and listen in mix context, once you have a more even bass, sidechain the kick, so you get a little bit more balanced kick and bass

on your vocal chops, try adding a distortion pedal and just add a little bit of distortion and see what happens, experiment with delays and automated reverbs with transation, to add something intresting...

IK Multimedia bus compressor can help get some life into your mix, (1dB of gain reduction is your limit)

good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Vincent Price

Asked for feedback, didn’t ask for my soul to be destroyed.

Spent hours on this

GreyMakes….oh wait…GreyDoesn’tMakeMusic…because Grey quits! I have had enough!

I know now why I keep myself to myself and don’t post anything online, because whatever I do I always get put down

5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

:rofl:

Apologies friend, didn't mean that way, if i was here to put you down i would have stopped at "a bit lifeless and no movement"

i Spent the time to break down some of my thoughts and tricks you might wanna explore, and i explicitly said

Still you did the right thing to ask, might look bad now, but if you plan on sticking around more, i'll help out.

Check pm.

6. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Don't be discouraged, brother!

I think the @MrLyannMusic review is a way to improvement, I haven't the time to listen to your music (you removed the link too soon!), but I'm a open mind, you could test me too, I'm more a musician / songwriter than a technician, so perhaps I could say something about the purely artistic aspects of your song?

I don't know if you write lyrics or not, but (for example) I'm particularly sensitive to the quality and inspiration of the lyrics... Even if English is not my main language, there always is things in lyrics / human voice that transcend cultural barriers.

For singers like me, every song is like a role. If you are a good actor, and if you listen carefully and try to fully integrate into the beat / mood, you have everything in your hands to convince your audience, whatever your technical vocal skills are.

EDIT: But reading the title of your topic, perhaps it is just a mix / remix of someone else's composition? In this case I cannot help, I always prefer listening original / personal material.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  7. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Aw, bless.

8. Vincent Price

There is something weird going on with cubase, when I import a track I have done in the past, which when played in VLC player sound how it is supposed to, the quality isn't clear when played back in Cubase

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

In Cubase and on your monitors you can hear the sound as it is "really" unadulterated.
    VLC uses different codecs etc. to present the best result for all music that exists.

Believe in your monitors or headphones - what do you use for eavesdropping?

10. Vincent Price

I have just installed Logic Pro and imported that same track...sounds fine in logic.

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Everyone should use whatever DAW they get along with best.
    Which DAW do you want to work with in the future?

12. Vincent Price

Well at the moment, because of the feedback I received earlier in this post....it doesn't look like it will be cubase

13. Vincent Price

When importing the audio, I noiticed that the bit depth option was unticked, so enabled it and it sounds fine now. Just to find out why it sounds muffled on other tracks when exporting now

14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Ah a User error. Good thing they solved that.

15. timetravellingtoaster

timetravellingtoaster Ultrasonic

Greetings Earthling!

The link is removed, I could time travel. But doing that in Earth for another... gets tricky.

But, don't get discouraged. Try different things. Search for development sometimes using outside-in perspective.

Travel safely,

- TTT