Feedback on a mix.

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by MrLyannMusic, Aug 1, 2021.

1. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

It's not a new version it is exactly the same thing as the first time, the only difference is is it not going into an external analog equalizer and there is no post return compressor or limiter. Nothing has changed from the first version outside of loudness and a mid frequency bump OTB.

It's late, I just can't sleep but I don't really feel like getting into this right now.

The one thing I want you to know is that I am not coming after you in aggressive way to rebut anything. I'm just talking in a friendly way and I want to understand what you are saying. I am not into the song that much, I actually don't even like it at all and my mix of it is a quick two hour slap up that I haven't gone back to visit since it was done outside of recording it without the external effects in that video.

The only thing me and you are chatting about is what words mean and how to describe things in audio to get our point across.

We can continue if you want. I am not looking for complements, a review or faults. I was just trying to help you and waste a few hours when I have them available in communication and whatever else we get into.

On the subject of analog gear sometimes behaving similar to a compressor: kind of but more like gain on a guitar amp than a compressor if that makes more sense to you. When I ran the signal into that EQ I probably clipped a 5-6dB from the top of the highest transients, that saturated those parts and allowed me to lazily get to -14 without much compression or to much thinking.

Anyway, if we are taking we are talking we can get into details about other things. If not, enjoy life and be well.

2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Good hint. I already tried to tame these dynamically in my version, but I'll give it another shot on the wave level and upload it.

Absolutely. That's why I wrote my approach.

3. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Hey @JMOUTTON! Thank you for your answer, though I'm very, very sad if you have seen or feel any aggressiveness directed to... you? :woot:

Why would I do, or think, or feel, anything like that? It was anywhere in my intention nor in my words nor in anything to appears "rude" or "impolite" or... anything comparable. If you felt anything like that in my message, I'm sincerely, deeply, deeply sorry, I see you as a friend and never thought it could be anything else.

In the contrary, I'm very grateful of this friendly exchange, it's very important for me to have this kind of debate about sound with experienced producers / engineers, because I have essentially a musician point of view (I have been a client of pro people like you several times in the past), and you have apparently a more sound engineer POV, I really feel that as an interesting debate.

The only thing I found aggressive in your mix (and in your mix only!), is the attacks of the drums in the higher frequencies, but as I said in my message (it was about the analog "flattening", but it applies perfectly here too! =>), I'm aware I can perfectly be wrong about it in a way or in another, because there is a fact that I detailed earlier but I feel the need to talk about it again: I haven't access to a pair of real monitors, in my actual life conditions the only reliable monitoring I have is a pair of HD800 in perfect condition. I have no speakers, only my headphones.

In a positive way, all I can say is that I have - perhaps - a very different, special POV that I felt the need to share with all of you in the hope that it could be useful, or interesting (...or funny? :bleh: you can mock me if you think i'm ridiculous!) in this friendly conversation, but perhaps I didn't choose my words very well, or perhaps my messages are simply boring, because I have the tendency to repeat myself, in the apprehension to not have exactly expressed what I feel or hear, because English is a quite difficult language for me.

All in all, I feel privileged to have this rich exchange with experienced people like you, I hope it will not stop there!?

- - -

:invision: >==> EDIT: In the goal that you better see from where I come, I would like to share with all of you a real-life example when, as a composer essentially, I have contributed to an interesting project, a pop-rock album. So the singer and I have been clients of a high level engineer (and incredible arranger!), it didn't stops me from having some fine debates about different subjects with the guy.

For example: about the basses in general, I found - despite the several, reworked versions the guy have proposed - I think there's a lack of low, fundamental frequencies in some songs only, but here also I can very well be wrong, I let you judge by yourself.

The more interesting song, at least for me, was "Billion Names", it is the closest of my real style.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

5. Amore_de_la_Vida

I really like this new edit! :wink: I think we can agree in one thing: the original sound take, with microphones, is far from being perfect, but thanks to your new edit / cleaning up, I don't feel that anymore, I can't hear a single glitch or noise, the EQ is similar to your other versions, but here I feel the instrument better. The drums are still perfect, but they was already perfect in your precedent work too.
    I noticed also your play with the nice delays effects on the voice, thank you a LOT to share this fine work with us! :mates:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

You are fine, I don't think you were being aggressive towards me. I just wanted you to know that i was not being aggressive towards you and that we were just pointing things out.

Sorry, I got busy and it seems I will be busy for a few weeks to come. If I get a few spare hours here and there if you are interested we can continue this here or via PM and I can explain a few things that might help you and you can help me find a few things that I still don't understand about what you are saying.

Anyway, all the best and let me know.

7. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Yes, that wasn't snark. I liked it and it sounded good, just isn't something I would have done myself, it's just an other variable but did sounded cool.

Sounds good.

8. Amore_de_la_Vida

Thank you for clarification, as I said, I found your posts very friendly, and I can't thank you enough for that! :wink:

I hope that one day you will have a little time to give an ear to the link I indicated at the end of my message, (this link: my real-life example), because it speaks more than anything about what I do and where I'm from. My words are often fuzzy and clumsy, because I'm not at ease with English, but my sounds always say the exact, precise truth about myself.

Last note: I've not answered specifically on your very interesting technical infos and datas, because I was afraid to say some ignorant stupidities, but I dully noted everything, every number and every info, because I know it will be useful one day, when I will work on my new compositions' album. In fact, I'm already working on it since a while, but it will never exists without the help of skilled professionals like you all are here.

Whatever will be the cost, I'm absolutely certain that it will be a team work (like the link I shared earlier), not me-myself-and-my-belly stupid, stupid guy alone.

9. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Fellas, apologies for the late reply, been distracted lately, hope i'm not late to the party, anyway here are my latest attemps...

and this is a new song from the same page,

10. Amore_de_la_Vida

HelloOOOooo, @MrLyannMusic, happy to have news from you!!! :wink:

(sorry for my late answer, I started this message early this morning, but was constantly distracted and interrupted irl!)

It's nice to bring new things to listen and discover! Here is my noob's impression, please pardon me if there's anything that don't please you, I'm just 100% honest and transparent (especially for the spitting ibex first song), for me a song is first, above all, instruments, voice and expression, in fact realized that I don't see songs like most of the producers / engineers I met:

I have the tendency to attach to (sometimes tiny, perhaps insignificant) details, on the other side it seems that you guys have a more... general, global point of view. I think it's the very reason why I didn't really be successful in managing to mix this song: I stop at details, and I can't move forward until the detail is settled. But stop talking about me, let's listen to your mixes!!!

In the first one, I found that there is the same problem I talked earlier: trebles are very prominent and a little aggressive, there do is great basses... but not enough mediums between the two. I thing that drums in particular should deserve at least more attention on the medium frequencies (800hz - 2Khz). I think that if ever you do that, they will sound more realistic and alive. Same with the voice: trebles are really exaggerated, I think it deserves more warmness and more softness. Of course, you have perfectly the right to find my opinion uninteresting and partial, it's just a basic, ignorant musician's opinion.

On the second track, this is a completely different affair: here I found your mix very pertinent, the acoustic instruments are 100% OK, and above all, there is great, great spacialization here, I really like the reverbs and how you have treated the voices, In fact I really like everything, A very nice, pertinent mix! :wink::wink::wink:

- - -

EDIT: Have you noticed that background vocals (choirs), on the second song's choruses, are not real vocals? They was very certainly made with Melodyne. Which I think, considering the style of the song, is a real shame. You don't do Melodyne nor Autotune on Country / Bluegrass / old Blues / old Jazzy music. Never.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021