Fedora 35 won't let me just use 2 USB audio interfaces

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ezequielb, Mar 2, 2022.

1. ezequielb

ezequielb Newbie

Hey guys, sorry to bother. Been looking for help everywhere and I'm getting worried that Fedora 35 isn't going to work out for me. I have a 2-pc recording/streaming setup that is starting, if I'm honest, to drive me nuts.

I decided to put Fedora 35 in its own little partition on the computer I use to capture and render the video/audio from my recordings. I have 2 USB audio interfaces working together: the one that carries my gaming PC audio to the recording PC, and the one that is the USB mixer for my mic. Problem is, Pipewire has assigned them both the same name based on their codec, and while both are configurable in the sound settings and Pavucontrol, apps seem to automatically prioritize whichever one loaded first.

So OBS will only recognize audio from one interface, even if you manually select the other. Same goes for Easyeffects. Audacity won't accept audio from either.

Now, I can manually work around this with Helvum, and could do this manually every time I wanted to record... but I don't want to. And God forbid I open another audio-using app while using Helvum. All my configs go to hell.

So I guess I'm asking... how in the heck do I make pipewire play nice with 2 USB audio interfaces?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Can you please specify which 2 USB interfaces you are using? it will help someone answer your question, (or try to)

4. ezequielb

ezequielb Newbie

@clone Oh, good point. The Behringer UCA222, and the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

According to my knowledge: Using 2 USB audio interfaces at the same time is not possible.

1.) I would disconnect the USB plug from the Yenyx !802USB, so that it then only a mixer without USB audio interface.

2) Buy 2 jack 6.3 to RCA and connect that as input into the Behringer U-Control UCA222.

Cordial CFU 3 PC - 14,40 €
    Klinke 6,3 mm male --> Cinch male
    www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cfu_3_pc.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  6. ezequielb

ezequielb Newbie

Oh, been playing with Linux off and on for years. Got into it rather seriously for server stuff recently, even started writing documentation for Rocky Linux. I'd love to have a go at making my video capture/render PC a Linux machine as well, but it's looking like with a 2PC streaming setup, that's not... ideal. Maybe not unless I grab some sort of PCIE sound card that can accept RCA connections or something, to replace one of my USB devices.

I use 2 USB devices (on Windows) because my mixer is crap, and doesn't have multiple audio channels for USB, just regular stereo. Since I want to process the mic and audio from my other PC differently, on the cheap: 2 interfaces. Here's a diagram of my incredibly cheap, janky setup that lets me:
    1. Listen to audio from both PCs at the same time on speakers, studio monitor headphones, or bluetooth earbuds
    2. Record my mic audio/use voice chat on either PC
    3. Monitor my mic live, bypassing the digital stuff for no-latency
    [​IMG]

Not pictured is my equally janky video capture setup, assortment of 1/4TRS to RCA adapters, stuff I keep forgetting to clean off my desk, and more. Please don't judge me. I don't have pro studio money, and I don't normally show people this.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  7. ezequielb

ezequielb Newbie

@BEAT16 Thanks, but that solution doesn't really work for me. I need the mic's audio stream to be entirely (digitally) separate from the gaming PC's audio stream. Live processing for my mic and all that. Don't have the money for the hardware it would take to process the audio (especially considering the need for background noise reduction) before it hit the PC. Guess I'm stuck with Windows on my streaming/recording rig.

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi @ezequielb, wow is very exciting to read what you are up to.
    I think it's great how you can achieve great things with a small budget.

9. ezequielb

ezequielb Newbie

Thanks, man. :)