Features do you wish in midi keyboards?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by piaudio, Mar 21, 2015.

1. piaudio

piaudio Newbie

What is your idea of features you wish it should have in midi keyboards?

3. angie

angie Producer

Lot of pots

4. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

a built in beer cooler for my bud :wink:

midi in/out/through

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

interchangeable key action, heavy as a piano soft as a synth.
    Ribbon controller
    low price :dunno:

6. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

motorized faders would be cool

7. clem

clem Member

Something most manufacturers have been keen to eliminate - a MIDI out port. If I want to plug into a hardware module (or even a rack full of them) I want to do it without having to go thru a bleeping computer first.

8. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

:wink:

adjustable velocity for each key individually
    multiple midi outs
    Kontakt built in, and internal 2 Tb drive

9. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Definitely they should put Midi out on all like before and stop eliminate this feature for usb, also more neon lights to makem look pretty hehe

10. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

At least semi-weighted keys that feel good, 16 backlit pads, 9 faders (8 plus a master), 8 pots (pan control for the 8 channels), multifunction solo/mute/record arm button for each fader, bank buttons, rubberized pitch bend/mod wheels, good lcd, the ability to map out cc's and store these as patches on the hardware itself (no software editor required), DAW integration, rigid construction (no flex in the middle of the board), low price, quality build, longevity.

Am I too picky?! Thus far I've landed on an M-Audio Axiom 49 mk2. I have been pretty satisfied with it.

11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

My Akai Max49 is pretty close to what I consider a perfect MIDI masterkeyboard but even better build quality and better quality keys and controls are always welcome. I wouldn't mind paying more for a really good and sturdy masterkeyboard. A thing like that should last you 10 years+ because you get accustomed to it and its feel.

On the other hand, you should really think twice about buying those Alesis/M-Audio and similar $100 crap MIDI keyboards as these start breaking apart rather quickly. What's the use of a MIDI keyboard if the wheels are not working properly, for example? It's only a PITA and makes you want to smash it with a hammer. I used to have a M-audio keystation49... I still have it, but I had to disconnect the wheels because they constantly send messages to the VSTis. Crap. :/ Really, if you want something that lasts consider flogging at least $300 up for a decent MIDI masterkeyboard and then you can really scratch it off the studio list for the next 10 years at least. :wink:

Cheers :mates:!

12. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

I had an original oxygen8 back when. Yep. The cheaper m-audio's are questionable. But my axiom mk2 has held up nicely. Probably 3+ yrs on it so far and zero problems of any kind. DirectLink even works in Cubase Pro 8 (only designed for 5).

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to include actual 5-pin midi ports (including a thru!!!).

13. DowJones

DowJones Newbie

I just purchased the roland a-800 pro 61 I've had it for about a week now....I've owned many cheaper quality keyboards....m audio, akai, alesis.....and I think this is my last buy the key action is so even....great knobs and faders midi in and out, after touch, I wouldn't eve consider another controller unless it had fatar keybed or kurzwel written on it

14. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

A MIDI IN port merged with the Keyboard's MIDI messages so the keyboard does not always have to be the first device in the MIDI chain.
    A fantastic semi-weighted keyboard that responds so well I won't even ask for different velocity curves.
    Responsive aftertouch that's actually playable so it can free the mod Wheel for other functions (don't care too much about poly AT)
    A 256GB SSD with samples streaming from disk, instantlly available after power-on (like Kurzweil but with more memory)
    Rotary encoders with LED rings and little cheap displays below that show the current parameter mapping.
    Configuration Presets with *names*, not numbers.
    Simple sequencer to capture ideas, will automatically store takes and just keep them after power-off without further interaction.
    Something along the likes of Arturia's BeatStep Pro would be even better, of course :)
    Stable MIDI clock source to send sync to other equipment
    Chord memory with different chords configurable for each of one octave's 12 keys
    A fun arpeggiator that can also slave-sync to incoming MIDI clock
    Transport controls that can not only send MMC but other, user-configurable messages so they actually work with my gear
    A good pitch bend stick like the clavia one that doubles as a "whammy bar". Could work simultaneously with a conventional PB wheel.
    Enough inputs for foot switches, expression pedals, breath controller.
    I don't care about pads as i prefer keyboard drumming anyway.

We do have the technology today, it's only the insatiable lust for even more revenue that holds the larger companies back from building audiosexy products.

15. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Ovalf nailed it. Interchangeable action bet. synth/semi-weighted and graded weighted action.

Also, Ribbon, joystick, AND mod wheels. Fat, large, and sensitive pads.

The new Akai Profession Advanced Keyboard is looking good with the fat pads (on the right side of the keyboard) and the big ass infinite knobs.

16. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

Alesis have definitely stepped up their game of late.
    I'm still using a QX61 which i picked up for a 100 bucks second hand and i'm really happy with how it feels.
    the new V series controllers seem to be a good improvement though i haven't had a play yet.

I've had a bit of a think about this and I reckon what's most important is feel and build quality.
    as far as features go I'm a believer in the more the merrier but as cost is always a factor I think there are some bare minimums
    full range of MIDI ports is a must as well as pedal inputs. And include the pedals, at the very least include one for sustain.
    And I want 88 keys at a reasonable price. Preferably fully weighted but semi would be just fine. at least 8 each of pots, pads and faders (plus master)
    though i really don't think thats enough. I reckon 16 pots and 16 faders is a good amount. 8 pads are probably enough though.

The layout of the other features is important. I have to reach across my body to hit the play/stop/record buttons and it gives me the shts.
    place these controllers in the centre of the unit above the keys. then balance the faders and pots either side so you have easy accss with either hand.
    the pads should be split into two groups of four and placed outside of the faders and pots. i find it easier to tap out beats if my hands are further apart.
    I'd love to see a jog wheels for navigating your DAW without having to go for the mouse. eg scrolling through the mixer so you can fade more channels.
    And a dedicated Master fader and X fader wouldn't go astray either

The user interface needs to be easy to use on the fly too. so do away with the old program recall system and have a touch screen.
    Make the interface accessible on my computer too including easy to use remapping softare.

EDIT: oh and everything Fiction said :)

17. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Hey, I like your ideas a lot. Let's build this monster together :wink:

18. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

absolutely!
    I was also thinking a two way pedal that connects via usb so you could assign it to a range of functions and take the place of the pitch / mod wheels.

eg: pedal.jpg

19. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Agreed with Sinewave i to also own the Akai MPK49 I've done a few modifications like the upgraded Drum Pads Knobs etc.. it really looks sexy and Handles great, and yeh those M-audio ones between 200-300 look ok but they are junk and will break after a yr or so AVOID Those even the new Oxygen or 3rd Generation Series with a 500 us price tag! Garbage....

almost forgot The Alesis products! Poop even the hardware like the eq really Hissy / Noisy as hell in the Studio No Good i think Behringer makes better products! and thats not saying a lot ! Sorry Germany you'll get there in few yrs though :wink:

20. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

I haven't noticed that to be honest. But then I don't work in a quiet environment nor do I do much recording.
    I still reckon they're heading in the right direction. The latest models seem to be a big improvement

You're right about Behringer making better equipment though I think that's to be expected nowadays.
    5 years ago I wouldn't touch anything no matter how broke I was. But in recent times I've noticed their quality has dramatically increased across the board.
    They'd have to be the leaders now in the "enthusiast level" equipment.

I'm by no means an expert in sound and I can rarely (never) afford the gear that I want. So I will always have a look at Behringer now.

21. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

MIDI ports with MIDI-merge, like n the Roland PCR series.
    A 'D-Beam' type motion controller, but higher resolution than the Roland ones.