Favourite software for "glitch" sounds?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ceja, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

Hi guys,

a few weeks ago I started to put some "glitch" elements like stutters, pitch shifts, delays, phasers, flangers and so on in my EDM tracks, because I think this adds some very interesting variety.
    I can do a lot manually in Ableton but I had a look at a few plugins that can help producing these glitch elements and they seems very helpful and sometimes it could be a real time safer.
    So my question is, what plugins can you recommend? What is a "must have"?
    I am looking forward to hear your experiences and techniques!

Thanks

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Tracker commands, sampler (LFOs and envelopes controlling alot of stuff), buffer repeater, manual micro-editing (cut, slice, reverse, fade in/out, repeat, stretch, automation, etc), delays, stutter/gapper/tremolo/trance-gate, granular synthesis, etc

4. oneunder

oneunder Ultrasonic

grab yourself dblues illformed glitch vst..version 1 is free..id play with that for a while as paid versions of similar plugins generally are the same sort of setup.. http://illformed.org/plugins/ grab the 'old version pack' ..it contains glitch.. youll have fun.. Aces!

5. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

I'm no pro when it comes to glitchy stuff but I used the VST "Glitch" a couple of times and it's quite easy to use, you got a bunch of effects and a sequencer for all of them. Izotope's stutter edit can do amazing things but it's gonna take you some time to figure out how to use it

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

dBlue/Illformed Glitch has a quite characteristic sound imo, so usually you can spot it a mile away. It's convenient, but damn - doing it "your own way" is alot more rewarding and educational.
    Jmho.

Instead, try Fuzzpilz DtBlkFX, Soundhack plugins, LiveLab LiveSlice, Smartelectronix Livecut, Supatrigger, ndc Fragmental, etc etc (all free).
    Heck, take any FSU effect.

7. vst mama

vst mama Member

definitely NI Reaktor (+ alot of ensembles)

8. lowpass

lowpass Newbie

sugarbytes turnado and effectrix, izotope stutter edit, illformed glitch 2, vengeance glitch bitch and tape stop come to my mind. i have them all but nowadays i just use turnado and the two vengeance guys. Turnado is controlled by automation (not midi notes), the vengeance babies have a built in sequencer which makes them easy to use. Effectrix, glitch 2 and stutter edit sound just as well as the others but i do not like the way they are controlled. Vengeance are super easy to use but have to be paid and are elicenser protected.

9. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I used to be a big fan of Sugarbytes Artillery and Turnado, but I'm getting more and more out of the Ableton Audio Rack Chain Selector.
    It's such an elegant solution and conveniently solves the *control* issue: You can define MIDI controller ranges to trigger a number of different effects, and Live has so many capable Fx on board already that hardly any commercial plugin will top its usability. Yes, iZotope StutterEdit and BreakTweaker are very capable candidates, for example, but they're not as straightforward to use as the Chain Selector, and I like to keep it simple.
    If you want it even more complex, you can build the ultimate beast with NI Reaktor, energyXT, bidule etc. :wow:

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Max/MSP :)

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Ableton sampler, simpler :) ableton FX

12. Kaylix

Kaylix Ultrasonic

I would go with stutter edit, I am finishing up a project that I use it in and I think that the stutter edit sounds great. You can just use the preset glitches and modulations or you can edit it to make your own. It is as in depth as you want it to be. There are separate modules for different types of effects so it can be intimidating to look at but you don't necessarily need to use every single module for a gesture, you can just use what you need.

13. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

Hi guys,

thanks so much for your answers, very helpful so far!
    I also would prefer to mainly use Ableton, because I think it is capable of nearly everything, I just don`t have so much experiences in producing glitch with it. Do you have ideas for good tutorials or ways to "get" this knowledge? Or good Max for Live packs?

14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

3 second google/youtube search:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVY7yXFOpow

15. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

there is a series-short course in this topic on macpro too http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/live-9-408-producing-glitch if somebody missed it

16. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

effectrix grossbeat glitch is a great combination, ditch the presets and turn all knobs till all have been turned 860 degrees

17. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

one of the best tutorials in ableton, simple and efficient. :wink:

18. swing

swing Newbie

Check Glitchmachines website. They offer some free plugs that seems to be reaaaally nice :wink: (I didnĀ“t test them yet).