Favourite distortion plugin ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ceo54, Mar 15, 2024.

1. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

Can't find Corrosion anywhere :(( Trash 2 is already on the to-do list. Thank you for the kind suggestions sprinter, glad to have so many good people around here. Love ya all. Cheers!

2. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

Right now downloading PA bundle, once it's finished, will move to Kiloheartz as also suggested by @Lois Lane Never thought I will have so many suggestion and so much stuff to try out. Amazingly though, still no mention of what I'm currently using (Pyros) seems like it has no fans around here. HAHA

Thank you for taking interest in my thread Oly, your input is highly appreciated :handshake:

3. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

4. eli91

eli91 Ultrasonic

A great option I've been exploring lately: the Neural Amp Modeler deep-learning-based guitar pedal emulations. There are many, great sounding fuzz and overdrive models, and they tend to react to the sounds in a different way than most plugins.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

Was wondering what BDE acronym means. Found it now. Thanks clone, your help is highly appreciated. Cheers!

6. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

Most definitely good sir, it's currently making it's way to my hard drive from an unknown remote server. Will give it a spin soon, many thanks for the suggestion. Cheers!

7. Ill back you on Pyros, i've used it a few times, I like it. I've only listed VST's that are in my current FX racks, so they get used a lot. I have a pile of others that might be used more randomly.

8. eli91

eli91 Ultrasonic

I've been a fan of Audiothing for quite a while, they are so, so underrated! Right now I'm recording a kind of lo-fi shoegaze project and Wires is THE plugin for that. It distorts the sound in an unique way, much darker than the usual bitcrushers and tape emulations. It isn't the most versatile but it's great for that vintage sound. Dials is much subtler but it sounds great too.

In general most of their plugins are the kind of tools that I like to keep even if I don't use them that often, because they do some specific things that no other company does. The miniVerb, the Texture, the Speakers, the Gong Amp, are SO weird but they can be so inspiring.

9. Big fan as well, i use all the Heinbach collab VST's a lot, especially Noises.

10. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

2 on that. Kilohearts Distortion module is my favorite. Sounds so clean and round if you want organic distortion and can be crazy nuts on other modes. With Multipass you can make it multiband, and one of my first options when i want upper harmonics on the bass. It just works.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

Thank you kind sir, many of the plugins listed in your list are already in box. Checking out the rest. Thank you kindly for the suggestion. Cheers!

12. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

As you mentioned DST, it just clicked to me that I actually saved it somewhere, can't remember where. Time to download it again. Will also review other plugins mentioned. Thank you kind sir, your input is highly appreciated.

13. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

I wanna add one thing to my earlier post.

Cytomic's The Scream, although supposed to be a guitar distortion emulation (TubeScreamer), is one of the most advanced plugins I've used, period. It's too advanced, even. Made by a geek for geeks, one might say.

Andy (the DSP wizard behind the plugins) meticulously modeled EVERY component of the TS, and you can mod them with your imagination (and virtual physics lol) being your only limit :

upload_2024-3-16_19-16-59.png

If I'm not mistaken, each value on this schematics can be changed. There are over a dozen transistors, diodes, LEDs etc. to choose from.

As a pure guitar distortion, it's the best ever, IMO. As an overall distortion it lends itself to so much experimentation. The latest versions (it's been in public beta for like a decade lol) have randomization options, so if you feel intimidated by all these values (to be honest I understand less than 5-10% of what they represent lol) just randomize the shit out of it and save the presets that sound nice to you.

However, I wholeheartedly admit that this approach is not compatible with creative flow AT ALL. I mainly use it in my guitar chain with a few saved presets I know will get me the best tone, otherwise it feels like lab work haha.

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. The Iceman

The Iceman Kapellmeister

I do this with real circuits with a few eurorack modules I built myself. I change out different rare diodes and the warmth it gives is amazing or you can make it scream too. My favorite is that 308 chip which is the RAT distortion. Oh man slap that on a 303 or a Behringer clone 303 and it barks like mad plus you can mod that too. Thanks, that's really cool though I forgot you could do that with The Scream. Nice 1 Mate!

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

sometimes complex is what you want. other times, there are about 10 included on Logic's pedalboard, and another 4 or 5 good ones in Waves bundle.

16. This might be controversial but as a daily user and fan of Fabfilter products I found Saturn 2 very underwhelming and its never used. If i want tasteful saturation its fine but its got no balls and getting it to do crazy stuff is a slog. It was another trash 3 moment for me.

17. triggerflipper

Nah I agree. Even for tasteful saturation I'll probably reach for something Kush before Saturn.
    It does work great for spreading magic dust on the final mix tho.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

This is a pure digital sinusoide processed with a single intance of Saturn *1* and nothing else.

And here is the patch, so you can try it yourself. Saturn 2-compatible.

19. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Also mention:

PA
    Black Box Analog Design HG-2
    Looptrotter SA2RATE2
    NEOLD BIG AL
    SPL TwinTube
    THE OVEN
    Unfiltered Audio Indent 2
    Unfiltered Audio Dent 2
    Vertigo VSM-3

OTHERS
    Vertigo.Sound.VSM-4
    Klevgrand.REAMP

OLDIE
    FXpansion.Maul

20. triggerflipper

The file you uploaded clearly says Satoorn. Why being dishonest?