Favorite drum kits, regarding quality, originality and usability.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by solo83, Jun 5, 2016.

1. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

Post your favorite drum kits of any genre, that have original, usable sounds of high quality i.e warm, punchy etc.

My choices are pretty much just about everything from the drumbrokers site. Their kits and their artist kits are fat, warm, original and usable. They're drums are great for southern trap, modern hip hop, rnb and excellent for boom bap. Heck even EDM producers looking to incorporate more organic drums into their songs can't go wrong with these kits. Let's hear your favorites.

3. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I generally use only raw sampled [vintage] drum machines and real drums, and process the drums myself. I especially avoid samples with reverb and with too much processing on them [like API-SSL-Eventide-Tape ffs! why??] as I find them hard to use, make them sound the way I want them to sound.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. stefodis

stefodis Producer

I produce hiphop for a decade now, so i've tried a lot of drumkits and i agree on the quality of Drumbrokers (some kits are not as dope as others IMHO, but some are real gems)!
    The 3 Goldbaby's "Urban Cookbook" are kind of a secret weapon for me too when i'm stuck with a beat, and recently for a more organic type of sound i would go with a "That Sound" kit, like Elements or Ben Philips Drums...

But remember that every producer own those (and many others) nowadays, so my advice would be : don't be afraid of recording your own sounds! Grab a good mic, bang on anything with the palm of the hand, a pencil, a shoe ...(imagination is your limit here), and then tweak the sounds. You will probably delete a lot of these, but from my experience after tweaking with eq, gate and comp, some will be great -and they will be unique :wink:. You can then layer them (or not) with more classics drums if you want. And, man, it's kinda funny (and it's what making music is about... i mean, at least a little...)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I play real Rogers 13",15" 18" toms, Noble & Cooley 20" bass drum and 14" snare, a Mapex kit, Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian cymbals, Latin Percussion congas and cowbells, Rhythm Tech misc. stuff, Pete Englehart Metal Percussion, and Drum Workshop pedals.:bleh: When the band is rockin' or swingin' it's a lot of fun for something legal...:rofl:Oh yeah, and I like Columbus Washboard Co. Boards and Revereware kitchen utensils

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

DNB:
    Custom drums by routing all the outs from either AD2 or SP2, then processing the bleeds from the mics etc and processing inside the vst itself, then doing some final gluing with 3rd party compressors distorters etc. I do a lot of sub-grouping and use of parallel processing.

Hip Hop/ Boom Bap:
    Lots and lots of old school breaks, using some drum breaker ones, ive got a bunch of folder of HQ breaks straight from vinyl. Theres also eric jacksons break pack and some other ones too, but i find the processing on quite of libs to be too coloured. I sometimes use those breaks to establish a nice fundamental set of frequencies then layer and process the living fuck out of them to get the sound i want. The thing i like about old breaks is the stereo field is usually a very wide due to the recording techniques they used to use. Its great for high frequencies and for percussive elements like congos etc.

8. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I own and play two quality acoustic drum sets, and have decades of recording experience as a player and engineer/producer. As for electronic sets, I prefer Toontrack EZdrummer and have almost all the drum extensions.
    I love the MIDI grooves, MIDI browser, song builder and search functions. Great sounding drums recorded in nice rooms.

If you want a custom sound, retune or use the ASDR or add effects and EQ to reshape your own sound.

as a side note: Every instrument you add to your creation subjectively changes the way we perceive the drum sound.

9. Bassmonsta

Bassmonsta Ultrasonic

Your right what you say. I believe also The Drum Broker has some of the finest drums on the market.

10. drknow

drknow Noisemaker

id like to know if there are any good eq'd and compressed inside the box drum sample packs out there for house.

11. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

My 909, Korg Electribe and MPC. Nothing virtual comes close except the SF 909 Kontakt lib, soundwise. I still like the Ultrabeat, RP Punch and a few other Kontakt libs though. D16 stuffs' not too bad either.

12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Addictive Drums 2 - Indy Pack
    Spectrasonics - Stylus RMX (Urban R&B Uptempo Kits)
    I've JUST started playing about with Melda Large MDrummer, combined with Ohmicide. It makes some of those kits sound terrific.

13. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

If you like heavily processed sound then I suggest Sounds in HD and LGND Media.

But for me, the more I got into understanding what real music is and not giving a damn what's hot and what's not, the more I liked to process vintage stuff and glue it with personal recordings to get something unique out of it.

14. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

No particular one kit... I basically just use anything that works. Don't really care if its a prefab kit or individual hits since I'll almost always edit the hits separately in some way.

That being said, I've been getting into synthesized percussion sounds lately. Really enjoying using the drumsynths in Maschine and some of the percussion presets in Chromaphone2.

15. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Soundoracle.

16. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Honestly it really depends on what you are going for. As far as processed and one shot stuff the Maschine stuff and its expansion packs are really great sounding stuff right out of the box at least for hip hop stuff. That being said imo not the greatest for house music stuff. I do love how stackable so much of it is though.