Favorite DAW and why?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by scguy83, Oct 25, 2024 at 5:21 AM.

1. scguy83

scguy83 Member

Wow you're an old timer too I see, in the game that is, not knocking your age. When you say Atari are you talking about the gaming system? I remember the game pong was like midi LOL.

2. scguy83

scguy83 Member

What comes in the signature bundle? I have the all plugins bundle maybe that is the signature bundle. I know they have the poroducer bundle, artist bundle etc. Not sure what the differences are in each application.

I've tried Abelton 9 it was pretty easy to understand, 12s basically the same maybe more options and base stock plugins.

3. Shasha

Shasha Member

Studio one sucks ass with midi editing I couldn’t stand it

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. ultracheese

ultracheese Newbie

For me it was the opposite. Fl is way harder to learn and adapt due to the separate pattern, mixer and channel. Using fl feels like going through a tunnel with multiple pathways to get to the same place. I just cant get my brain to work with fl even after one year of using it. Then i switch to s1 and it all just make sense.

5. Shasha

Shasha Member

I forced myself to learn FL I love all the free updates I got sick of paying for Ableton so I will always come back to FL studio besides that it’s way more fun tbh and the midi editing is top notch I love the mixing workflow since I’m a synth guy FL just feels right at home and it’s not a hard workflow lol you just use the channel rack and playlist at the same time learning the key shortcuts will speed up workflow invest time into your tools and in the end you’ll be rewarded being a legit owner for years it’s been a great purchase

Last edited: Oct 25, 2024 at 8:44 AM
  6. scguy83

scguy83 Member

Oh wow that's awesome, can I ask what school you went to and exactly what your major was. I'm guessing it was audio engineering, but there are a lot of sound design type degrees these days. I'm sure you knew Pro Tools extremely well for sure.

I don't think there is such thing as "industy standard" anymore honestly, everyone can achive the same goal using a different medium. Ableton is still used by most EDM artist to my knowledge, and so is Logic, some use FL too. I'm sure they use others now too, but industry standard is just a fancty term now I feel, like used to feel exlcusive. Kind of like how we used to debate who was more "elite" than others online back in the day LOL. It's not an actual standard, or only professional means or stricitly used in only that application any longer. Hell FL is indusrry standard to most Trap and Drill artists these days from what I've seen.

I'm definitely going to give Reaper a go, the program isnt even a Gig though from what I've seen. Are there sepreate factory libraries or sound bamks you have to download for it?

Wavelab is nice, it's kind of like Audition. It just sucks when you load it, it is froze while scanning through 1000 plugins lol.. It might take 10 minutes to load.

Oh and yea their licensing is bs, you have pay like 2k to own a license outright or pay monthly I think.

7. Shasha

Shasha Member

Reaper is so bare bones it barely has anything

8. scguy83

scguy83 Member

Yea that is one thing about FL that sucks is that eveything is it it's own shell and seperate windows.

9. Shasha

Shasha Member

It bothered me in the beginning but now that I know all the keys to open what I need I love it also you can turn things into an instrument track on the channel rack and open up your sounds clicking the playlist track name instead of constantly opening the channel rack lol this also shows meters on the playlist it really helps with mixing you can literally do everything in the playlist channel racks just there to add midi and other instruments or sounds the midi you make in the channel rack appears in the playlist long as you made a track in the playlist it really isn’t that complicated

Last edited: Oct 25, 2024 at 8:53 AM
  10. scguy83

scguy83 Member

Wow I didn't know you could drag and drop between the applications, that's freaking awesome.

11. scguy83

scguy83 Member

It does have good key mapping and shortcuts, eveyone I know produced by using Bomes Mouse Keyboard no one hardly had any type of hardware or midi controllers back then. Your keyboard was your midi controller lol, I wonder if that shit even works now most older programs don't work on the newer windows because they were just small Visual Basic programs pretty much.

12. scguy83

scguy83 Member

Yea thats what it seems like, like Acid used to be

13. Shasha

Shasha Member

Yep I have live 10 suite and refuse to buy over and over I’m happy with what I have
    I legitimately own 10 suite I don’t see a need to blow more money on it and besides if your on windows it doesn’t matter how old it is what matters is it works

14. scguy83

scguy83 Member

Any of you ever used N-Track studio? It's kind of simple like Audition and Wavelab.

15. Shasha

Shasha Member

No not really I have what I need lol

16. scguy83

scguy83 Member

I hear that, I'm in an exploration stage lol, still in awe at eveything that's available to us now.

17. Shasha

Shasha Member

Just buy FL you’ll be set for life lifetime FREE updates

Last edited: Oct 25, 2024 at 9:24 AM
  18. scguy83

scguy83 Member

Yea I have 24 cracked the all plugin edition, I'm thinking about buying it for sure though. I've been using FL since like Fl 4 lol

19. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Platinum Record

Reaper for mixing and mastering for clients, Logic for writing, arrangement and production. Been using Logic since 1994 when it came to PC. Tried many other DAWs, but always returned to Logic. I'm also one of the "Techno/Trance producers that used Logic" back then. Had to choose between Cubase and Logic, went the Logic route and never changed, even when I had to buy an expensive Mac G5, just to switch over to intel a few years later.

I love Reaper for its flexible routing, the mixer in Logic can be real frustrating, especially the weird workarounds to get MIDI into effect plugins and so on. But if you know Logic from the beginning, it's easier to understand, because it's mainly the audio engine from the late 90s with Apples GUI extensions slapped over it. What I'm really missing is real time sample rate conversion and FLAC support. But the whole package you get with Logic Pro is hard to beat, internal effects, synths/sampler and MIDI editing are very good. You could literally just buy Logic Pro and nothing else and have everything you need for a whole production. Also many people I work with are using Logic so it's important for me to be able to exchange project files. And it's of course a thing of "feeling home" in your working environment. Had a look at Cubase again some weeks ago and liked some features very much, but I'm so used to work with Logic, it's not enough to make me wanna change. Ableton is also interesting, but I'm more used to work in a linear time line only.

20. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

Do you know how to control playhead using keyboard in increments of quantized value? I know it can move back and front 1 bar or forward/rewind...