Favorite "auto"/simple compressor plugin?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nopenopeaudio, Nov 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. nopenopeaudio

nopenopeaudio Ultrasonic

I define an "auto" compressor as a compressor with:
    1. 1 or less knobs to control att/release timings. I.e. a single knob to control both attack/release, or just 1 knob to control the release with a fixed/auto attack. Auto-release also plays into this
    2. Automatic output/makeup gain (AGC)
    3. The ability to set a default profile so you can just load the plugin & forget about it, or the controls are already so minimal that it really doesn't matter since it just takes a few tweaks to get the sound you want.
    A lot of vintage compressor plugins actually check most of these marks. Many Tube, FET & Opto compressor plugins do, aside from sometimes the auto output gain, which depends on the plugin dev. SSL LMC+, to name a VCA comp.

I like these types of compressors a lot & use them for single mix tracks. Just a quick & easy loudness enhancement & stops me from endlessly fiddling around with values :rofl:

My favorite is Fuse Labs VCL-373, which is essentially just 2 controls; drive/input gain & release. It sounds shockingly "snappy", like a VCA compressor, with some light saturation with the compression mode & a damn near overdrive pedal with the limit mode.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  3. Uprock

Uprock Kapellmeister

4. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Waves R-Vox and R-Axx. They just work for most things!

To name a newer plug-in: BPB Dirty LA is shockingly good, especially for the drum bus! Sounds like a SSL G comp on steroids, or a bit like an API 2500 or Distressor. It doesn't have auto-gain, but it's just a two knob comp like an LA-2A.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  5. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

Magnus MK2 - Hornet

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

R-Vox (but I use it only for vocals) and Kazrog's True Dynamics (one of the first two algos fits to almost every source).

7. Magic Max

Magic Max Platinum Record

Do you still find Acustica El Rey to be a good vocal compressor?

8. nopenopeaudio

nopenopeaudio Ultrasonic

Forgot to mention Klanghelm MJUC Mk. 1, which I use just as much as VCL-373. The time constant of "5" produces a slow attack, fast, but program-dependent return, so it sounds decently punchy, especially with the "drive" turned all the way down. Can also set default preset. Not as snappy as a VCA compressor but still very nice, like with all Klanghelm plugins :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Does Magic Death Eye count? That's mine.

10. Matheus Oliveira

Matheus Oliveira Member

The Ozone Vintage Limiter has always been good to me for this kind of "lazier" levelling on vocals/guitars/etc, and I feel like the UI makes it relatively simple to gain-match manually. I'm also starting to pick up the dynamics section in the Waves SSL Channel, with the threshold fixed at -20 and dialling the ratio for the amount. This one does pretty decent auto-gaining.

• List
  11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

One or less knobs eh... never mind then

12. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

For sound, yes, for leveling not, it doesn't apply enough reduction due to its very low ratio.

13. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Klevgrand Korvpressor 2. Doesn't exactly have knobs tho.

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

The logic compressor is pretty visually big, but it is so simple for channels like this. Sometimes I even use Auto-gain in a situation like these because it will usually get it right anyway. You aren't trying to make it do that much work. I thought that was the "lazy way" you hear people sometimes say.

Is this a quest for more real estate to have 20 of them all over your screen, so you can't figure out which is which?

I'll use a saturator like this, but a compressor? I'd probably overcompress every channel with something 1 parameter blackbox.

15. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

16. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

MH Channel strip. I kind of like the sound of MIO mode - is not crapping as the analogs (ssl or 1176) but is not 100% transparent either (as a pro-c or fircomp). I suspect the sound comes from the curves (as is a completely digital and linear tool whatsoever).

Anyway, I set up a macro rack (Bitwig) and one single knob affects the ratio, threshold and output gain, so between 0 and 18 dB of gain reduction I have constant volume output. Attack at default 16ms and release at default 160ms, they work absolutely fine for all tasks.

Basically up to 3 dB of gain reduction is shaping the transients (drums, instruments), up to -10 works well on vocals and in -10 to -18 territory it can keep under strict control the level of the (sub) bass - together with Nova for the very low notes.

Rarely when I have weird peaks I may try either 0 ms attack either using a clipper but for the vast majority of the tasks, this one knob setup works flawless for me

Edit: the best autogain imho is implemented in ozone dynamics. Absolutely spot on, is just a bit overkill
    to use it as default channel strip comp

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Thanks!

Btw, I forgot to say Soundtoys Devil-Loc Deluxe. It's my go-to for my drum slam send! Insanely good sounding.

Analog Obsession STEQ has a really nice one-knob comp. It's a great and simple channel strip for kick, snare, toms and bass. IIRC it's based on a Studer channel strip. It's nothing fancy or very advanced, just a good sounding 3-band EQ and simple one-knob "opto" comp (although there's nothing really opto about it).

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. dondada

dondada Rock Star

DDMF
    NoLimit
    SONALKSIS
    Ueber-compressor
    WAVES
    RComp
    MixCentric
    MV2

• List
  19. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Purafied VU Compressor

I admit I was a little bit sceptical about this, because it lacks attack/release settings. After using it for about a week on many different sources I have to say, it sounds really good. Has autogain. Throw it on your channel/bus, listen and choose one of the four modes, sometimes it is all I need. Great on drums, great on guitar/synth, great on vocals. To me it has a flavor I really like ... juicy and gives so much energy, I'm inpressed.

20. dia manu

dia manu Producer

L1 v1.0 TDM

21. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

I was mixing my buddies bass track and I used the MultiComp Plus MKII and played with the side chain frequencies and got that track so nice and even. The high timbre of the bass was as loud as the low rumbles and I hadn't been able to do that so easily in any other compressor plugin

Hornet is highly under rated stuff