Fat Drums

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by globalpeace, Jul 2, 2015.

1. xsze

xsze Guest

Think it's like perception of sound in space based on timbre, psychological thing, some think about low-mid's when phat/fat is brought up, but over laptop speakers or earbuds, it's mid-hi's for others, it's actually squashed thin plastic character otherwise, but gives impression of aggressiveness and punch, but doesn't hold any actual weight like some Moog bass, just over the top punchy crunchy grinning teeth and hitting on head kind of thing [​IMG]

2. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Jerk as always!
    Joke about the inability of wrinting well, whats next? Criples, blacks or sick people.
    If are ignorant to desagree polite and do not nkow all the facts, please do joke and be a me to be humble.
    Maybe you can search on Google for old scholl producers that done instead showing your closed opinions that are preconceived.
    This place is for learn and help but you prefer to be childish and preconceived.
    The jerks are invading the site, the teams do not release because of these thing.
    Man you written só many wrongs thing with your norrowed and short opinions and I always be polite, not anymore.
    Make a forum for jerks that speak well english, ignorants and non polite.
    Jerks do not change the opinion or grow up, so you are a lost case.
    Please do not quote me anymore because or I will quote you forever.
    Soon life will teach you hard, it happens for all jerks!

3. pfc1990

pfc1990 Noisemaker

Sounds great to me man. The kick might be a little bit heavy, so when you're gonna put the bass in, be sure to thoroughly check your low end. Good way to do that is using beyerdynamic vs plugin, and set it to the car setting. Great method to really hone in on those lower frequencies. Personally, I'd like more snap on the snare. Use Camelphat for that, search the drums presets, I think theres one called bigdrums which really makes it cut through, but it does compress a lot. Which is fine honestly, as long as it sounds good and doesn't eat up all of your headroom. By the way, where did you get that snare from, which sample pack?!! Good reverb too :)

4. remix

remix Platinum Record

stop being such a cry baby...

seriously...

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

If you stop insulting people thats ok for me.

6. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

It's a Tom from (That Sound 1985 Drums)

7. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

I thought you said from "scratch"

Not being controversial or anything but is that really from scratch or aren't you just modifying another sample.

Your idea was sort of beyond me till Xsze kindly explained & to be fair it sounds interesting I suppose.

what I mean is maybe rather than use a sample pack, maybe use a hardware synth? Tweek it or create it via synthesis etc or even a real kit? Then it completely your own? (sort of lol)

8. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Keep it on topic fellas. If you guys want to be rude to each other I suggest going to another forum

9. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

Sounds interesting, Always wondered where do dr.luke, max martin, greg kurstin, Disclosure gets their samples, So Suggest me some Hardware Drumkit that sounds equal to those producers :) Please

P.S I know about Korg Volca, Roland Tr-8,Mfb,etc.. I need something that is used by the professionals.

10. remix

remix Platinum Record

I bet all those you mentioned man use sample packs in some way or another :wink:

11. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

Yeah, I'm not a fan of drum machine synthesizer. I like the sound of actual Drum-kits recorded. But wish those guys could release their sample packs. Tired of finding shitty samples. Anyway Thanks :mates:

12. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

Didn't mean it that way, You want to use sample packs then fine. You don't need to use something you consider to be "Professional" to get top results. However that's up to u.

You could take a dustbin cut it in half, apply a few methods and sample it and create some great sounds that are truly your own if you know how to of course.

I couldn't really care where they got there stuff from. However if you sample a record, use a recorded sample then in my definition it ain't from scratch but I understand why people do it. However I'm possibly wrong & it's just my opinion

But i didn't realise you were like a top pro and needed the "Industry Standard" whatever to create your drum loop.

Good luck with modifying your other peoples samples *yes*

Also where do the samples from sample packs come from in the first place?

13. Seckkksee

Seckkksee Guest

Yeesus, yawnifers. I didn't even listen to the sample, but try this: Separate your highs and lows, kicks, low toms run mono, highs (hats, snare claps, percussive elements) run stereo, give it width, brighten up with eq, reverb. Run everything through a decent compressor, touch of attack (15- 30 ms? Auto release, or do it yourself if you trust your ears..) Thats it! Unless you want sick breakbeat trash sounding drums (which you can add some saturation...) Now, SIDECHAIN a Limiter, another Compressor, maybe even a saturator(a TOUCH of saturation will do it!) Mixed right this should make your drums nice, if you're looking for real fatness. If you don't know how to mix, I've just gave you direction on how to fuck up your tracks. You're welcome.