Fantom-XR: problems with the official S700 sample CDs conversion tool

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by Xeraser, Apr 1, 2022.

1. audiolord

audiolord Newbie

You might need to add wnaspi32.dll to your system32 directory. and then mount the iso for your application to read..

2. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

I solved it, only a newer version of Daemon Tools Lite worked and I had to specify the kind of virtual drive and set it to IDE. The problem lied in every other virtual drive software not having this option.

3. softice

softice Producer

hjuiklop;

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  4. softice

softice Producer

[ghyjuki

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  5. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

What I wanted to do was use the official Roland sample converter that allows you to load Roland S-7xx series sample CDs (which contain PATCHES specifically for that series of samplers, not just the samples themselves) and convert their data to use with the Fantom-X. The tool ONLY works with the Fantom-X and Fantom-XR.

The tool (pictured below in a working state) did not recognize any ISOs of those CDs (I only tested the official Roland libraries from the L-CD, L-CDC, L-CDP and L-CDX series) when mounted with various tools (Virtual CloneDrive, Alcohol, IsoBuster, WinCD, etc) but CDXtract (while it has a lot of formats none of them were useful to me) was able to read them so I ruled out the ISOs being bad. I also ruled out the tool not working to begin with. Roland are laughably incompetent when it comes to software but I refused to believe they straight up didn't even make sure the tool worked.

What worked in the end is Daemon Tools Lite (I had tried other premium versions of DT, slightly older from 2019/2020 for "obvious reasons") with its option to specify the kind of virtual drive you want to add. In this case setting it as IDE lets the tool recognize the mounted ISOs.

Haven't bought software in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time but I ended up buying the entire DT Lite package for 15 bucks just as a sign of thanks.

I suspect that I could've saved myself a month of headaches just by using a physical drive but whatever.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022

Attached Files: