famous mixing rooms show their room EQ diagrams?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, Jan 11, 2016.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

do famous mixing rooms show their room EQ diagrams if they are neutral?

can i find them somewhere? if not why don't they publish it? isn't it an important thing for clients to be aware of?

3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I don't think clients will ever care. Rooms, like microphones and pres, have a vibe of their own. Deep-pocket artists and producers will look for a sound and part of it will be the search for the studio with the right sound. Legendary places like Sound City, responsible for the famous Nirvana's Nevermind drum sound is supposed to be acoustically wrong, but it works. They even feared painting the walls to avoid killing that vibe (Source: Sound City - the movie). Besides, even if you are assessing mastering studios, you might choose the ears of the mastering engineer, not the walls. Just like anything else in pro audio, you might not tell why it's right, but it's easy to tell when it's wrong. I don't think room measurements are a thing in choosing a studio. I could be wrong.

4. samsome

samsome Guest

well if the mixing room is not neutral...it might be boosting the lows or highs or whatever...when u take it to another room it will be different...

as regards to recording thats different i guess...you might want that boost..

but for mixing, i don't understand why it shouldn't be neutral.

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

It should be as neutral as it can be, but once again, a client is not going to peek down your soulder to see if your DAW is calibrated to -3 pan law or 0 pan law. Those technical things are what the client is trusting you to do. You are supposed to put that on the table as part of your mixing craft. Clients care about a mix they like or not. However you get there is actually none of their main interest. If your room has a neutral sound, you will mix easily and you'll get fast results that will translate to any listening environment fairly well. If your room acoustics is off and you can't afford fixing it, you have to resort to more cumbersome ways to reference your tracks, like headphones, listening in other environments, stacking duvets and placing bookshelves behind you, choosing small monitors, and so on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  6. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

It seems some one think it could be interesting... like UAD (no EQ diagram of course).

[​IMG]

It is a UAD stuff modelled on a real studio recording room. The best solution if you can't get he best result on your own. More info here.

7. gurujon

gurujon Kapellmeister

From what Ive read, different mixing rooms add different flavours to a mix and a flat response room tends to be boring soundwise...

I guess a mixing room doesnt have to be perfect, but it needs to be without certain artifacts that makes the mix suffer.
    In my experience from home recording, most important is to know your ears :),your monitors and good working routines so you dont get lost during the mixing process.

8. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Instead of focusing on neutral room acoustics, which is possible but hell expensive, I feel it might be more profitable and a better bang for the buck to focus on the common acousrtic pitfalls, which might throw a mix off without one hearing it. This article from Sound On Sound explains this very clearly:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec10/articles/studio-sos-1210.htm

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

This sure as hell is useful information but that is not the topic here...

10. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

think your mixing up your recording rooms to your mixing rooms on that one

11. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Short answer is NO to all of the above. There usually is no charted Room response curve.

Room EQ is often done in real time looking at a RTA and adjusting a graphic EQ. When the process is over the only curve you have is a how the graphic EQ is set, if you plot that yourself with pen and paper. Room EQ's are set and then remain inaccessible so as the room remains consistent. This is only redone if there is a major change in the room, and may remain the same for decades.

While this is a important thing consider there are so many different reasons clients book studios. A few are availability, reputation, Engineers, Location, equipment and personal contacts.

12. Adrianus Antonius

Adrianus Antonius Producer

They do show not only that, but also their personal sex tapes, even if you aren't asking them... and that sucks most of the time if you come strictly to record something... you got to sit next to a guy, nod your head with a smile on your face, as if you like what you see... afterwards I look like this when get some time to be alone
    [​IMG]