Faint background hissing noise due to Ozone 11

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Sota Kunaii, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Sota Kunaii

Sota Kunaii Newbie

Hello my friends,

sometimes when I master my songs with Ozone 11 (via one click Mastering) I get a faint background hissing noise in the track. Usually I can only hear it at the very beginning or end of the track when there is only one instrument or the tracks are fading out.

So far I've tried to work with a gate, but all I got was that all the noise was stopped at a certain volume level. But I'd like to get the full fade out of the last instruments at the end without the hissing noise.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
    Sota

Attached Files:

3. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

As a mastering guy once told me, whatever is good in your mix gets better and more noticed and whatever's not so good also gets more noticed along with it. I note that some of my synth patches get super-energized by the tweaking and hiss like the dickens - hardly detectable in the pre-master mix. Go back to your mix, turn it up and if you need to, raise the high end of your master bus EQ temporarily to detect the hiss that is likely there, coming from a PC in the room you recorded, the air vent in your home, the circuits in your soundcard, etc. Then dial back the unwanted high freqs in the problem track. Return your master bus EQ to normal (or what you had it before) and try to master again.
    Good luck!

4. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

dither?

if it sounds good and you are satisfied dont touch it or find an "alternative artistic trick" so mask it

EDIT: I forgot to mention "Waves H-Delay with analog put on #3". There are tons of stories of big productions with people that realized during mastering that was a huge hiss due to H-Delay

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  5. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Is there a tape emulator or something else modelled in the chain perhaps kicking out some hiss?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

As others have said, this noise is already present in your mix, Ozone maximizer just makes it louder. Look for its origins somewhere in the mix.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

It would be a good idea to figure out the source. But with that tiny little imperfection at the end of the file, I would use selection based processing on the tail of the waveform. Do not put a plugin on your entire track to handle something this insignificant. There are very easy ways to fix it per file if you have to, until you trace the source down.

Did you use an older version of Ozone where it did not do this, or is the first version you have used?
    Is it a legit full copy, or a cracked version? This happens with multiple files?

What reverb are you using?

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

I used Acon Digital DeNoise 2, grabbed the very end (noise only) to learn and used its def setting. It's not completely gone but...

Attached Files:

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

or saturation/distortion does that and some other effects in the chain can feedback on that.

10. woggle

woggle Noisemaker

as this sounds like a general problem that pops up more than once I would look for the cause.
    solo track by track through the mastering chain and see which track gives rise to the hiss then fix
    Or
    If nothing turns up from individual tracks then it is in the mastering chain. It may be that you have to automate fading out something in the mastering chain making the hiss as the track fades out and the his becomes noticeable

11. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I had a similar problem recently, it was a bit hard to figure out & I have a older version of Ozone, but try:

• Use Digital crossover instead of Hybrid/Analog crossover ?