Fader glued ... what can I do?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Ellin, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

I have a problem with a mixer fader, which has 34. And that's the volume fader. The other 33 flow very well, but he is always hard, as if he were immersed in glue. Then just a little sprinkle of isopropyl alcohol is enough and it flows again as fluid as air. The next day, he returns as before: glued. I also tried the Svitol Electric and the Wd-40. Same thing: immediately fluid and light, the next day cemented again. Do you know what the cause may be and how can I fix the problem permanently (without changing the fader)?

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

That is why replacement faders exist. All faders wear and fail over time.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  4. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

You should know that equipment failures always seem to always happen when you don't expect them to, it is quite a simple process to replace a fader, if you are unable to do it yourself find a local tech to do it for you, music stores usually outsource electronic repairs and tend to overcharge you.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

It is probably mechanical failure.
    If it was a simple cleaning problem, it would be already solved.
    May be a slider "sticking" ?

As a side note : AVOID any WD40 or electric cleaner.
    They ruin pots/faders by dissolving carbon contact.

ELECTRONIC fader pot (not electric) contact cleaner

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Did you unmount the fader or did you just spray the WD40 or Isopropyl into it? Of cause when you just spray it into the fader the effect will not last very long, because the WD40 or IsoProp will evaporate and only the glue will stay. You have to open your mixer and clean the fader with the mentioned products..by removing the glue and put some new onto it.

7. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Cleaning Scratchy Pots and Faders Mackie ProFX12 Mixer

9. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

View attachment 26763 View attachment 26763 I tell you how I solved it, hoping the information will be useful to others. Before attempting the most difficult solution for me, that is to disassemble, clean and reassemble the fader, I tried various products for reactivating the electrical circuits: Svitol electric, WD-40 and Tecnoware. They all worked on the moment but as soon as they evaporated (about an hour later) the fader was back to the way it was before. Then I found this spray: "CRC Reactivating Hydro-expellant Lubricant For Contacts", which cleans, reactivates and does NOT evaporate. And I finally solved the problem! The slide flows perfectly even days after its application ...

1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  10. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

When that happens I just take the fader head off then wear dips into my fingers with the fork fader stabbing me in the tips of my fingers.

But on the bright side, I can take little shots out of 3 of my fingers nowadays. So I have that going for me which is a cool party trick pretending my arm is a crane scooping me some Tennessee whiskey.