Fabric options for acoustic panels / bass traps

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Demon, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Demon

Demon Producer

Hey audiosexuals!

Man, I haven't come in here for ages, been so busy renovating the house and studio :D very exciting.

Based on this post (thank you very much to everyone that responded), I am building some acoustic panels sporadically in the next few weeks, when I get some time. I am wondering what are good options for good fabric to cover the acoustic panels. I have heard about cotton, burlap and other materials; and also about the breathing through test. If you have had any experience building your own acoustic panels, what have you tried? I am going for something breathable and hopefully fire-retardant.

As always, thanks in advance.

- Demon

3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Hi Demon, long time no read, indeed.

The cheapest and most effective solution I could find was rockwool panels. I bought 1.20m x 0.60m panels that are 2" thick. Placed on a wall with a clearance of 2" will double its effectiveness and trap lower frequencies than the very same panels placed straight against the wall. You can stack up panels for thicker mass that can work as corner bass traps. If I'm not wrong, I paid $10.00 for each panel in my hometown. I put the panels in 2" pine frames and then wrapped them in breathable-through fabric. The whole thing amounted to around $20 bucks per panel. The panels need to be wrapped, for rockwool will release particles that can be breathed, not a thing you want to do to your lungs.

Best if all to you in your new studio adventure.

Peace.

4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    BTW, rockwool is fire-retardant.

5. Demon

Demon Producer

Hey mercurysoto. Yeah man, I've been all over the place in the last couple of months. I only come in here rarely.

Thanks for the advice. The panels I am using are called "Soundscreen". They are made for studios, home theaters, etc. It is just like rockwool, but without the itchiness. They seem pretty damn good. My question was based more on the fabric to cover them. I do know that the fabric has to be breathable, but I am wondering what are good options besides sisal/burlap. I am wondering if there are any other fabrics (they all have weird names) that anyone else has used. What did you use for yours?

Thanks again mate.

6. josepaul

josepaul Newbie

This would definitely help you: fabric for acoustic panels Obviously, the work of absorbing the sound in the room is done by the acoustic panel, so what is the purpose of the fabric for sound panels? It is mainly to make the room look great, but aesthetics is not the only factor for acoustic fabric material. First of all, its work is not hindering what the acoustical panel is doing. You want the sound to pass through the fabric directly and into the acoustic material behind it. If the fabric reflects the sound back to the room, your acoustical panel will not do a thing. Acoustic fabric doesn’t mean sound absorbing fabric for walls or ceilings. It should be acoustically transparent fabric.

7. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

8. superliquidsunshine

superliquidsunshine Audiosexual

Everywhere at once but no place in particular
  9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List