Fabfilter Reverb - Pro R - Experience?!?

Discussion in 'Software' started by phloopy, Feb 20, 2019.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hi

Any experiences with the Fabfilter Pro R - is it good and what can you highlight?

Cheers

3. Spyfxmk2

Spyfxmk2 Guest

^
    It is a very good reverb,i use it all the time...that & the Valhalla reverbs :bow:

^
    the eq sections for the decay time & post eq :wink:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks Spyfxmk2 :like:

5. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

+1, sounds good.. :yes:
    - eq for decay time (like Spyfxmk2 already mentioned), e.g. for the kick in drum loops
    - note value (quarter, eight..) predelay time! Missing on so much revs. Dial that in +some % and you have some serious swingy feel
    - endless sound shaping possibilities (I'd suggest watching Groove3 or even ESW for ADSR for explanation on parameters..)
    :wink:

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

what makes it special compared to valhalla reverbs?

7. playtime

playtime Rock Star

For me it's the decay rate EQ and especially post-eq graphics. I really like Pro-R, it's easy to dial in and sounds great straight out of the box :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

I think it deserves a try for yourself.

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I've seen a reverb comparison video (I think it was even here at AS) and Pro R didn't convince me. I had the impression it smears the sound in the decy phase.

10. LHO

LHO Ultrasonic

TLDR: Just try it for yourself.

It's super awesome. The Decay Rate and Post EQ, as well as the Width control, are very useful and eliminate the need for further processing to some extent. I really hope they implement the dynamic EQ from Pro-Q 3, and/or a side-chain comp.

In terms of use cases, I prefer it for subtle background ambience or fake room sounds. When I want something more obvious/sound design-y, I turn to other options.

When comparing it to Valhalla, I find Pro-R's much quicker to dial in and that it suits my preferences better. With Vintage Verb and Room, I always have the feeling that I'm "90% there", but can't ever get it where I want without a lot of additional processing. With Pro-R, I usually get the sound I'm after within 30 seconds or realize that I want something else.

In the end, nobody can tell you whether you'll like it or not. FabFilter demos are 30 days fully functional, which is more than enough to find out. And then there's the sister site...

Peace

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. GodHimSelf

GodHimSelf Platinum Record

hhheeeeyyyy old friend! Nice to read you :) what's your opinion on TSAR-1?

What have you been cooking?

Love,
    D.

12. Spyfxmk2

Spyfxmk2 Guest

^
    That is an excellent one too :bow:
    I don't have the full version of it but the TSAR-1R (got it thru the Time & Tone Bundle & returned the interface to my music store :winker:) :

https://www.softube.com/index.php?i...MIp7Wc1pPL4AIVR7bACh0pxAHCEAAYASAAEgKbhfD_BwE

https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=tsar1r

An album called "Miracles" :bow:

13. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Fabfilter always delivers the perfect product.

14. ANTIMONOS

ANTIMONOS Producer

There is so much reverbs but this one is one of my favorite for.... dialogues :)

Everybody is aware about fabfilter quality but like usually all depends of what you try to achieve...

i can list you reverbs that works well for me:

- valhalla (everybody knows too) for pretty much everything
    - u-he zrev (not so loved but i love it :) )
    - u-he twanström (interesting on strings and long material IMHO)
    - u-he protoverb (free and particularly interesting since you can generate unique spaces)
    - 2C audio Aether / B2 / Breeze (top of the top in terms of quality but heavy on your CPU)
    - ArtsAcoustic Reverb ( really interesting for positioning, office room)
    - Kush Audio Goldplate (not often but sometimes really good, it can add this richness you are looking for :) )
    - Lexicon reverbs (hardware if possible ;) )
    - Overloud Breverb 2 (nice but in particular cases IMHO i fell like it lacks of something i can't tell precisely what...)
    - PSP ones (useful ones, good quality)
    - Soundtoys Little plate (i love the infinity mode <3 )
    - Soundtoys echoboy (yes :) You can make some really interesting spaces with this delay :) it's not the lonely one but it's my favorite )
    - Sonnox reverb (one of my first love but i don't use it so much anymore)
    - Tonebooster isone (more about space feeling...)
    - Live reverb :) (yep i assume it, it's a powerful tool because of the cpu cost)

There is so much choice you got to make your own opinion...
    I probably pass on good ones... during the process the choices are made by themselves
    I hope it will help you ;)

I know you asked about Pro-R, a really good one IMHO, actually if i have to choose just one, i'll choose this one, so versatile...
    but i don't have to :)

If your want more precision about reverbs PM me or contact me directly on my email adress: [email protected]

PS: sorry for my english, i'm french and i write in english like i think in french most of the time ;)

EDIT#1: I have to say something, you can take the worst reveb and put it in context to make it really pertinent... I think it's not about tools it's about your vision and the way you decide to bring effects on your sounds, for exemple you can choose to isolate a dynamic portion of your sound and treat it to enlarge some frequencies...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

If I remember correctly it has some pan issues when it comes to panned sources (i. e. reverb pan doesn't follow source pan).

16. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

so many reverbs..
    i like fabfilter, esp. the graphic feedback.
    i also use EOS ( very simple but sounds nice to me on big spaces. i use others though, i am liking 112b cascade at the mo,,,

17. Acid

Acid Ultrasonic

I'm testing Pro-R out in Studio One, great sounding reverb but if I right-click any of the EQ nodes it crashes instantly, can anyone with S1 check to see if it's a bug or if it's just me?

18. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

I'm very happy that I gave it a try. When I heard demos or youtube vids I didn't like it.
    Most demos show a lush and long 'beautyful' pro-r-reverb.
    I never need those, most of the time i need rooms, preferably real sounding ones.
    And that's where the frequency dependent decay rate is just a killer weapon. I guess most of us
    already eqed their reverbs before, but that's just not the same as saying "Well ok, in that room, i'd say we have a little resonance at 500hz".
    I don't know if any other reverb does that.
    and I like the fabfilter guis

19. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

Pro-R is good Reverb...
    Especially if you put on FXChannel and you send your track to it... :winker: