Fabfilter plugins v2016.02.02 calling home

Discussion in 'Software' started by offset, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

If I “speculate” how many ppl are using these FF plugs, IMO (for now!) there are too few complaints here to jump to conclusions. On the other hand, maybe I am lucky too.. (usual precautions in place, of course)
    @MozartEstLa
    ..do you recall which specific waves plug(s) wont work /w adapter disabled. Just want to test my setup.. tnx

2. neo lover

neo lover Kapellmeister

My music making Mac - NEVER EVER gets connected to the world wide web - It's a complete recluse - Never have an issue that way -
    Of course I understand that not everyone has multiple Macs at home - But Might I suggest a second hand Apple G5 from Ebay - At a cost of around £40 - £50 - You can have a second Mac just for the internet and save your other Mac to run your DAW ---

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Pow...758419?hash=item3abdf08013:g:pf4AAOSwezVWyZgT

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

The reason, why Teamviewer gets through the firewall is, because the Teamviewer setup routine installs a firewall permission with the rights of the user or admin rights. No strings attached :no:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. pentagram1

pentagram1 Noisemaker

I've never had an issue with the FF plugins...but I always install ONLY the AU files (Mac, Logic X). Delete anything you don't use (check the Avid & Digidesign folders in the Application Support folder as well).

5. crane2k

crane2k Newbie

6. Ankit

Ankit Guest

More CPU efficient than DMGAudio. I am only talking about CPU hit here. Dont wanna start topic about whats better and whats not.

7. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Sorry I don't remember exactly, long time ago I've used Waves, I'll must redo new tests "from scratch" on fresh system (used as sandbox Win7) with disabled network interface, but having few times because many developments in progress (or pending)... In case I'll forgot (no more reply) simply PM me.

EDITED/ADDED: tested on fresh Win7 (as "sandbox" OS, restored using Acronis image), disabled NIC, (+ useless host file mod), install, patch, move patched wshells to right places blabla: REAPER 5 takes very long time during plugs scan (~4-5mins - stays stucked on "WaveShell-VST3 9.3_x64.vst3" plug), then some plugs are missing in list such VSTis/VST3is (CODEX and Elements), no IR-1s convos (for example), Butch Vig Vocals Stereo needs ~90 sec to open, but works when loaded. Ableton Live 9.6 Suite crashes everytime during plugin scan. Retrying all tests from scratch (after another Acronis restoration), but enabled NIC + host file mod + blocked DAWs in FW: all are working fine, loading fast, either from REAPER and Live.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I really don't think FF Q2 (or Q1 for that matter) is more CPU efficient than say Equick or Equality for basic eq, those eq who have no crazy protection scheme implemented and they just don't have a cpu load unless you change phase response in equality...Equilibrium uses more ressources but it's not an eq I put on every tracks.
    But again I'm not dissing the quality of FabFilter plugs, they are very good plugins (I used saturn a lot, I love their modulation system, but now I manage to do the same with Maul from Fxpansion), I just don't like their protection system and the consequences it has on said plugs preformances. It's not the only company that does it, it's not the worst but I've found alternatives I'm happy with, that's all.

9. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I run fabfilter plugins on a amd a10 apu and it's intensive on your video-card when opened.

q2 is as intensive as 2caudio b2 at 2x over-sample but when the visual part is closed it drops on load

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Jip Twokay

Jip Twokay Newbie

I wasted a lot of time with this, but noticed the following: http://www.fabfilter.com/support/faq/18/how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer . So if the nicely smooth scrolling envelope graphics start to stutter, leading to crash, it is possibly actually a graphic driver vs. FabFilter compatibility bug (accelerated graphics not working properly). As soon as I added that HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FabFilter = DWORD (32-bit): GraphicsAcceleration=0, no problemo except for the horribly slow graphics framerate. I did install the newest NVIDIA driver but that did not help (2016-05-05).

11. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

imo, this is pretty much the end-all solution to any VST call-home problems. sweet & simple.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  12. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

and ^this.

13. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

@ the geeks out there, and those with good-great networking skills :

Do you think there could be an easy way to buy a tiny ultra cheap computer, like the Raspberry PI, and use it EXCLUSIVELY as an Internet proxy (with some cool apps installed and well configured, easy enough to allow setting up some traffic rules, blocking Internet ports, etc),

and once it is up and running, the main DAW would connect to Internet via that proxy server.. with all the plug-ins, daw's, etc, LOCKED and forbidden.

Any suggestions?