f.lux - Reduce Eye Strain (Free)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Me2audio, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

[​IMG]

image from justgetflux.com
    Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow?

Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen?

During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.
    f.lux

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.

Tell f.lux what kind of lighting you have, and where you live. Then forget about it. f.lux will do the rest, automatically.

[​IMG]
    (also available for Mac, Linux , and iPhone/iPad)​
    Good reviews Here and Here

If you work with Images and Video just disable it :wink:

If you dont want to install it and want to see the effect check f.luxometer

[​IMG]

f.luxometer is our new tool for measuring and modeling how light affects the body.

You can see the spectrum of light from different devices, with and without f.lux on, change viewing distance, and even use physical filters like sunglasses.

We learned a lot while making this, and we think it's pretty fun. Please check it out and let us know what you think.

~Michael and Lorna​

Want to see how much blue light f.lux removes? Try out f.luxometer:

3. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

Hello fellow audiosexers and guests (who still resist to join this great community),
    just want to share this software with you.

I started this topic in the past, but can not find it in the forum anymore :dunno: ,
    Probably audiosex deletes old posts, or if a user dont log on for a long time ,posts\topics get deleted ?

Anyway , hope you find use for it :wink:

4. TUREVARSKI

TUREVARSKI Noisemaker

This program is fantastic, it let's you go to bed at a reasonable hour even when you're using the computer late.

5. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

How much of the cpu does it occupy? Does it run as a background service?

Seems interesting, but i wonder how good/bad it is for your eyes or your screen. Wonder what the science is on that.

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I'm using this program for years now, it's really great. If only they'd make an android version of it.
    CPU? 0%. It's not a service.

7. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

There are equivalent android :wink:
    Search for "f.lux" in Play Store

For now, i use Twilight on my phone
    Twilight

f.lux on my computer (be careful to SET location by hand, because detection can be wrong)

And i set my TV to Warm2 (warmer than 1 :rofl: )

8. copylefter

copylefter Producer

This thing is awesome, didn't tried it on my computer, maybe I will do on the system I use for work and inet browsing.

I use this on iPhone since long time and it's a game changer, really. The other day I turned it off by mistake and my eyes started to hurt :wow:

Highly recommended :wink:

9. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Also I use it im my devices mainly because corticoid dry my eyes.
    Now rarely have to lubricate eyes.
    Its a bless :wink:
    Edit
    already poste 2 times, 3 now1
    But good things must repeat

10. Index

Index Producer

I'm using it for a long time now and I'm loving it!
    Even if it might look really strange after installing, give it a chance and use it for at least some days before uninstalling! :thumbsup:
    And I'd reccomend to set the transition speed to slow (in my opinion way more pleasant)

11. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

you should try it, as copylefter said " it's a game changer, really. "

try it after sunset, an then disable it so you will see the difference *yes*

12. Demon

Demon Producer

I've also been using this for quite some time now. I have it on every computer I have. It is fantastic.

13. jamzprod

jamzprod Noisemaker

Once you go flux you never come back. Seriously, use it for a couple of weeks, then take it off and hate yourself for what you've been doing to your eyes all of your life.

14. Thanks Me2audio. I have always done this manually to not kill my eyes at night, but now it is taken care of and managed for me. So very cool.

15. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Nah, that's no good - it just tints the screen red.

16. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

now buds thick as a beer can are growing out of my monitor :bleh:

17. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

The way this works is that it ties in your computer display with the rising and the setting of the sun and syncs you with the natural cycles of day and night. If your display is too bright late at night containing a lot of the blue part of the light spectrum (just like the sun does at midday)this will suppress the release of melatonin and serotonin that you need for restful sleep. Flux adjusts the colour temperature of your display, after sunset in your geographical region, to reduce the blue element. Somehow Flux got deleted on my system in the last couple of weeks and I knew I was missing something and your post reminded me what it was. Cheers :wink:

18. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

proud user since 2010, its really good in combination with black themes in ableton.
    sometimes i have problems to read everything proper, because some plugin skinners made the contrast a way to low.

i am using ember mode (1200k) a lot, its really soft on the eyes in the midnight.

really thanksful they invented this nice little tool and the best its free of charge, one could make of price of 10€ for it, because what it does, does it really well and efficent.

the cpu usage is a bit increased when its sweeping from 6500k to your night mode, but this takes only 1 minute or has almost no impact, when you set it it to 20 minutes transition time.

19. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

There is one issue I can't resolve.
    f.lux overrides the color profile I defined in my system settings. It appears to be an issue for nvidia cards and so far I couldn't find any solution :(

20. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

From f.lux site F.A.Q

don´t kown if it helps, but give it a try

21. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Twilight don't color in "red". You can change the tint to any value :wink:
    they give sh*tty examples with red only. On my side, it is orange.