EZKeys 2 high loading time (plugin only, before loading libraries)

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Xupito, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Hi folks,

EzKeys v2.0.2 VR takes a long time to load (around 4 seconds). That's the plugin only, before loading the corresponding library.
    It's a CPU issue, while loading it maxes out my CPU one-core usage. Second and further times is basically the same.
    Happens the same both in a DAW or in standalone mode.

EZBass and EZDrummer3 (latest VR versions) both load almost instantly.

Windows 10 22H2
    Reaper v6.29

Any ideas? I checked out the comments in sister-site and didn't see similar reports.

Cheers ;)

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Have you already tried changing the CPU Usage under Settings, Advanced, Cpu Usage #of cores? It sounds like you already tried. It says not to in Logic or Reason, and for me in Logic it is a tiny bit of a lag also. Similar to your load time. In Reaper, I get an add Build Routing Confirmation popup, but after this it loads normally like expected, and show .03%/.03% CPU. Changing number of cores actually makes those numbers go up .1% per added core. I could just be doing something wrong though.

It has not changed the time the Loading... splash screen is visible at all. The DAW loads faster than this plugin, but it is loading this starting piano instead of loading up empty. Mine is loading a 3.92gb EZK2 - Session Grand. I think this is probably the source of the lag, but it is on my internal SSD. (for now, i'm going to move it). Is there a way to stop autoloading it, or even just loading a much smaller library? I'd never load a 4gb piano for no reason, but I guess I have been.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

First of all, once loaded works fine. With a reasonable CPU usage. Although I've only played a bit because I want to fix this loading time before.
    I've left it in one core, for easy comparison.
    You mean several seconds?
    That's the thing, my high loading time is not including the library. Just the plugin with the splash screen visible.

Last Toontracks libs are quite RAM heavy and this new piano core library is huge. I think there's no way to start without library. What I do is to select the smallest library (string machine for EZKeys v1).

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Yeah, the splash screen takes several seconds. I never used v1 and only became interested in v2 because of the Bandmate feature. It's like I have seen people often mention about Kontakt click-to-open times. It seems like each additonal core i add takes up .1% more so i'd call that negligible and not worth trying to get some better performance out of it. I am @ 64gb RAM, but older computer with 2 cpu's. It could load faster though and might get annoying if I used it a lot. Its about 5 seconds from initial click until the interface is open to the piano with the 4gb EZK lib I mentioned prior.

I am not sure how much this loading of piano library is contributing. In standalone, it opens to the piano graphic like you mentioned, few seconds approx ~5 seconds, but in the top right corner of the plugin it continues to have a progress bar for another few seconds too. Like it is only prefetching some of the data. Moving the one EZK folder I have out of the way so it is not found speeds up loading, but it basically forces you to select a startup lib like you said. I can try to dl a smaller one, but I think that will make the only improvement to it. At least from every menu I have looked at.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well, thanks for letting me know. I wonder why I haven't heard about this before. Because that's a huge loading time, including other Toontrack instruments.
    You're right. When loading the libraries it does something similar to Kontakt. Pre-loads (pre-fetch would be the same) the start of every sample that can be played.
    Pretty much all sample-based VSTis do this.

This high loading time of the library is normal in EzKeys2, because the new piano lib is huge. So those 4GB are a lot but also normal.
    But I don't see normal at all the loading time of the plugin itself only.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Have you tried the Restore Midi Database option in Settings, then Advanced? When you installed v2, did you install directly over your old v1 installation? It likely has the Database indexed to help with load times; and you know what kinds of things "scattered" data can do to an index.
    If it was annoying enough I would remove,cleanup, and reinstall. I am not seeing very many other options in the menus. It is not really out of line with similar stuff I have. Omnisphere is about the same.

8. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

im second to this yeah it does take about 5 seconds to load and i got the legit copy of it then i tried it with the V.R. copy and it still took 5 seconds to load yeah this is weird i been notice this but now it bothers me that now Xupito said something about it

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I tried that. Even tried removing a good chunk of .midi files. Also, clean install.
    So it seems normal. What I find strange is that nobody reported it. Again, considering EZDrummer 3 loads very fast. I would understand a bit more because those fancy features (bandmate) probably are more complex with a key instrument.

For me is a big deal. My PC is slow. Omnisphere is on a different league so I would find it normal.