EZDrummer straight to swing question

Discussion in 'Software' started by photonic, Jul 6, 2021.

1. photonic

photonic Member

Hi all. I am interested to know if I have made a straight beat in 1/8 notes in the STAND ALONE version of EZDrummer 2, can I convert it to swing feel? I can find no info on this in a search. I am an absolute noob at this but learning rapidly. I am not talented enough to lay down the simple beat in a swing feel with my mouse but wanted to create it from scratch rather than use the browser library.

Is this possible? I feel it might not be.. Thanks in advance for your help

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Loos like you're right, EZDrummer doesn't seem to have this option.

4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

The options are far more limited inside the standalone. It's easy enough to do it in a DAW because you can drag 'n drop the MIDI file into your DAW and change the pattern via the DAW's built-in MIDI / groove editors.
    There are a few edit options but it may or may not give you the desired results. Before you try it save it.
    I tried this on a straight 4/4 feel and it swings it in a triplet fashion but it depends whether you are after an actual swing pattern or a shuffle. If the latter, a shuffle, this option does not seem like it is available, being a dotted 8th and a 16th pattern per beat. Right-click on the MIDI file you imported or create and select as follows.
    upload_2021-7-6_18-30-35.png

There is another option which may give more unpredictable results - This does exactly what it says and does it in a 6/8 feel and it will be slower but it may or may not give you what you want. If it does, you will probably have to take the tempo back up again. I do not think this is the result you are after but it's not a bad groove/feel switcher anyway. It will give the 2x groups of 3 feel but the tempo will change to a third less of the original.

I tend to drag and drop and edit in the DAW because it has more comprehensive MIDI editing.
    upload_2021-7-6_18-34-30.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2021
  5. photonic

photonic Member

Thank you for that very complete and thoughtful answer. I appreciate the effort you put into that!