EZDRUMMER 2 Vs Addictive Drums 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zenarcist, May 19, 2014.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

What do you guys think so far? Has anybody tried both?

3. mediumrock

mediumrock Noisemaker

Hi there, personally i prefer Addictive since there are more tools to create your own sound, it´s most comparable to Superior or BFD3 rather than EZdrummer2, but i´m a drummer and not a composer, for the ones that are looking for a great tool to create fast and great drum tracks EZdrummer of course , they went really ahead with this more than the other companies.- About the sounds they both have great sounding drums, even the expansions are great, the new Fairfax from Addictive is great !! and also the new EZdrummer has great sounds , the Yamaha 9000 in the modern one is insane !!!

See ya, take care

4. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

I'm just playing round with both of them now, I like them both to be honest, they both have different unique feature sets i think, but, it's the same with anything, horses for courses and whatever floats ya boat

Personally, I never really used EZD1 when it was installed on my pc, but I think I'll definitely start using EZD2 now

I always fell back on AD Drums in conjunction with NI Maschine for the majority of my beats and drums, or occasionally I'd use FXpansion Geist or Arturia Spark

Thumbs up for both programs from me

5. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Yeah I'd say pretty much the same thing as kearnsy.I just got them both installed today,and installed all the expansions updates for EZ.Played with both for a lil while.

I'm pretty impressed with both.I was kinda skeptical at first I didn't really mess with EZ1,I went straight to Superior,and since it loaded the ez expansions I never fealt a need to try EZ1,and with AD1 the drums always sounded a bit too colored in my opinion,like they were too heavy on compressors or eq and I've never really liked the way Addictive maps their drums if you're playing with a keyboard,Toontrack has always been much closer to a GM map,but whatever,I can use other keys,just takes a lil getting used to.

But AD2 sounds much much better than 1.I'm not sure what it was with AD1,it just sounded overly processed,at least to me.I still have AD1 installed may actually uninstall it as between Superior,EZ2,and AD2.I think live drums are pretty well covered. :rofl: But haven't gotten real deep with either yet but so far very nice new features by both,equally impressed by both.I like the new modern and vintage kits in EZ2,& the new pop rock expansion or remake,it's nice and loud.And I like alot of the new kits in AD2 as well,they overall in my opinion made Addictive sound much better.

Hard to vote on this one,they are both very nice.I like them both equally.May be a lil too early to tell,I think I may give the edge to Addictive on tweakability and having kits with a really broad range,some great sounding drums in a few of those kits and they sounded so different than one another.But EZ2's simple drag and drop into a playlist makes it way easy to arrange a drum track.Kind of like EZplayer.Not sure if Addictive has an arranger like that or not.

I haven't had a chance to mess with either for more than maybe 30 min a piece,so I'm not too familiar with it's functions/features and/or sequencer functions or if it has any,but I think I seen a record button.Can always record in a daw if not(what I usually do anyway) and even if you don't tap out your own drums by hand,there's a lot of drum patterns to choose from in both,especially if you've got a huge EZ/Superior midi library already.

I'm really glad you made this topic,I'm really interested in reading others opinions and info on these :wink:

6. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Basically I love the track creation tools of EZ2, and I love the sound/kit design tools in AD2. Like seriously, it's like they actually took the idea in my mind of what the perfect virtual drum software would be and split it up evenly between the two. I spent the better part of the last two days stoked out of my mind! And they are both so cheap!

7. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

Honestly, I fall in love with both...
    Because each product have complementary feature...

Simple mean :
    EZD 2 for person that not much tweak, and easy to draw...so far I used for...
    Addictive Drums 2 for person that want to tweak the sound...

I think I must have both for different situation... :thumbsup:

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

So basically you could create a drum track in EZ and then export the MIDI into AD?

9. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

EZDrummer 2 looks good as it has some nice tools to help me prepare my song ideas when composing, and it can also be the starting point for a real drummer to develop the ideas further later on. The strong point for me is I can work alone with my electric guitar, soft synths and laptop at any time. A little tip, I use a pitch VST plugin when working out the bass parts, so basically I can develop full ideas with one guitar and a CME Xkey. I'm also thinking to get the Arturia BeatStep which would give me some drum pads to work with, but it's a very portable setup.

11. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Yeah man, looks alright that beatstep, i might get one when i get some cash together

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I think it would compliment the Xkey, both are small and they would give you keys, pads, encoders and a built in step sequencer.

13. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Code:
     I'm also thinking to get the Arturia BeatStep which would give me some drum pads to work with

Did you look at the Tap2Find feature in EZ2? I use my MPD18 to do quick little kick/snare patterns for my songs just to get the feel right, and now this thing looks at the basic beat you type in and finds all the MIDI files that generally match that pattern, as well as assigning a percentage to how well it fits! Pretty sweet...

14. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Newbie

Just install both, and I'm using both of them :D
    The sound of AD2 is great

15. Demon

Demon Producer

I am using both of them. I have to admit that I am a sucker for Toontrack's already polished presets and expansions, but there is ONE thing that annoys me to tears with EZ Drummer... I play e-drums when I record drums, and with EZ Drummer I can't choke my cymbals. With AD2 there is no problem. If Toontrack had this feature working properly (also doesn't work with Superior Drummer) I'd probably wouldn't worry about AD2.

I am aware that other e-drumkits like ALesis and Roland don't get this issue with Toontrack products, it's just my kit, which is not a super expensive one (circa AU$1000).

There's one brand of drumkits that kill me, I so want one. I'll make another post about them to see if anyone knows anything about them.

16. evesixtynine

evesixtynine Newbie

Addictive is better than Ezdrummer if it's one or the other. But if you add all the superior drumkits and all that expensive shit then the balance tips. But addictive is always going to be more fun.

17. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

AD2 is better than EZ2 definitely. It is very close to analog drums with a few effects and tweaking even the real drums