Eye vision and monitors.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Von_Steyr, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Fuck off.Its my way to keep me sane in the studio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

You've got to take frequent breaks and get some Sun/Light in your eyes to maintain the health of your vision. I use computers all day for 25+ years and my vision is great but I'm also OUTSIDE every single day without fail and never stare at a screen more than an hour or two without a break. It cracks me up how many musicians and composers will sacrifice their health to get ahead when they are self-employed and can call the shots. There IS a balanced way to do this business...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I have started doing 20/20/20 stuff and taking regular breaks and i go outside more often.
    Also installed f.lux and i wont work late into the night any more.

4. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

We're not talking about the same thing, the glasses i'm talking about doesn't need prescription and aren't tailored https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gunnar glasses

5. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Damn son. My advice to you : Pull that broom out of where it's stuck.

6. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

This guy has great gaming glasses! Just look! It's 0:26 seconds

7. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Well I think you can't do anything more to protect your eyes, except computer glasses or gunnar glasses maybe!

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I used to suffer from random headaches for the whole summer of '13. To cut a long story short, the only doctor i hadn't seen in a series of visits to various docs, was the ophthalmologist. I thought wth, let's give that guy a try too. It turned out,at age 47 i had developed astigmatism and presbyopia, enough to justify wearing glasses when reading and working with computers. Never had any of those headaches again but i wear my reading/computer glasses regularly now, even when gaming in my free time. I found that even the colors are brighter and "fuller" wearing the glasses. If you find your vision deteriorating, pay an ophthalmologist a visit.

PS: In case you 're wondering it was the astigmatism that caused the headaches, but the presbyopia is a bitch as well, needless to mention it reminds you how old you are:guru::rofl:

9. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

The key is FLICKER FREE. A good monitor does not use Pulse Width Modulation for backlight dimming, which is what flickers and causes eye problems. I only found out about it last year when looking for a new monitor. Almost all LED screens use PWM, so you must really know what you want to get and do your research.

check out:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/flicker_free_database.htm

I changed to a monitor like that, BenQ XL2411, 144hz "gaming monitor" adn the difference is liek night and day. I can use this screen all day and not feel a thing, whereas other screens tire quite a lot me after a couple of hours.

I also managed to get the same monitor for my workplace office computer, which was really great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I haven't tried f.lux but glasses and even a monitor cover can help.
    A quick DIY solution would be to turn down the brightness and increase the contrast on your monitor. You'll find you last longer in front of the screen before feeling strain.

EDIT - I meant adjusting through your GFX settings. Not the monitor itself.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  11. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Not almost all, all led screens use pwm. It's how leds are dimmed.

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I have a 24 LG flicker safe IPS monitor , though im not that satisfied with it.Yours seems to be a lot more suited for longer work, even offers low blue light.Thanks for the tip, bro :wink:

13. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Yes indeed, the low blue light is also an important feature! It makes it much easier to use the screen for long times. It even has a logo that says "Eye-Care" when you turn it on :) I like it a lot.

14. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

high refresh rates won't help much if your background is mostly white.
    there's a good reason if daws and photoshop and many other pro apps have a dark theme by default.
    actually even the early computers had green text over black background and not viceversa, again for very good reasons.

you will crack your eyes reading a black-on-white ebook on your monitor, but it's OK with a Kindle, because the white background on a Kindle looks almost like paper, it's a different material, neither TFT nor LED, you can't replicate it on a LED monitor.

a normal monitor needs to push to the max all the RGB values, that means each pixel is working at its max intensity and that's the obvious reason your eyes get strained, white is not just a normal color, it's the most instense a monitor can produce, imagine your 30" monitor ALL white for hours and hours .. of course your eyes will suffer.

the lastest version of win10 has now a dark theme option, it sucks because it's pretty much barebone, but it's better than nothing.
    serious alternatives are WindowBlinds for instance, or a proper dark theme using hacked Win10 Themes (needs patching the OS and can be unstable).
    or stick with Win7, it fully supports dark themes natively.

15. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Couldn't live without f.lux! I'm sure you are already seeing an improvement.

I am interested in computer glasses thingy...I might check that out. :wink:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Good morning to you too! :hahaha: This is so funny, thanks! :wink:

Now for the tips. You can set your monitor to a warmer temperature for a start. It may look a bit awkward in the beginning, but you quickly get adjusted to it. Use incandescent bulbs, yes, and not too strong. I use 30-50W bulbs. I also use lava lamps, one at each side of the monitor. It looks great and interesting, too. :wink: Well, I do light up a spliff from time to time, and then it looks even more interesting. :mad: Loads of studios use them for that creative atmosphere "gestalt". :wink:

Oh and use those frequent breaks. Make yourself tea or Irish Coffee. :hahaha: Breaks and walking for a bit are also good for your general health.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Wow, dude! Was that really necessary? This is how shit always starts in these threads. Make the best out of this new year. There's no shortage of vitriol floating around the rest of the Internet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Maybe next time look for a Dell monitor, mate. They all have pretty nifty options for setting up colours the way you want. Also, Dell monitors come with a USB hub which is absolutely great! Once you get accustomed to plugging your keyboard, mouse, and flash/removable drives to it, there's no going back, and you'll wonder how come other manufacturer's monitors don't feature a USB hub. They cost a bit more but they're absolutely worth it. I'd only stay away from the cheapest line of Dell monitors, but all other are really good. I've got P2714H as my main monitor. Additionally, the stand that comes with it is also so worth the additional dosh! :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. G String

G String Rock Star

Turn up your TV brightness to max, and extend your hours directly looking at it.

I got some great migraine auras doing that - it's like free drugs.

20. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    A 24" monitor with 1920x1080 resolution makes characters too small, and most audio softwares do not have scalable gui's. And everything being small, you have to squint. And strain your eyes.
    If the out-of-focus vision gets back to normal after a few days of pause, your eyes are ok, it is the monitor's fault.
    I confirm, led monitors are a pain. I got blurry vision frequently, so I got an older plasma tv, 40", 1920x1080, positioned at 1 meter away, I lowered the contrast and the brightness to have a comfortable view, set the sharpness to 60℅ and the screen resolution/refresh rate to 1366x768/60hz. Everythings looks large enough now. Since this plasma has also intermediate frames creation, it all goes smooth, and I never get blurry vision, even when working all day.
    Take care.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List