Extreme loudness in new Megadeth

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by jayhind, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

[​IMG]

Found this recently, the new Megadeth song that the record company released on youtube is clipped to death! When I heard it I nearly lost my hearing! Death Magentic much?

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Loud to the point of immaturity. :grooves:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

haha kind of normal today in all genres which are modern.
    we had a thread about in an other forum aswell - looks like they want to destroy our ears that we cant listen to something only feel the vibration.
    i'm def for something like a rule - like we have in film music. something with a rms level for the track.

5. VIVIsect

VIVIsect Ultrasonic

I can just picture ol' Dave saying something along the lines of "Metallica made an obnoxiously loud, shitty sounding album? I'll make an even louder, shittier sounding album!". Man, Dave really needs to let that competition with Metallica go already!

6. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

They have since posted several versions of this, but except for the intro the levels are the same, sky high!

7. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

oh damn for a second I thought the whole album had leaked....cuz it's been reviewed so some already have it *yes*

besides youtube is definitely not the best place to judge of the quality of an album...

8. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

it s called the war of loudness,rather stupid to give up dynamics this way,i m referring to every genre

9. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I think some tracks did leak earlier this week, I didn't investigate thoroughly though, they were on youtube.

Technically youtube videos should sound better than mp3s as the audio is in AAC which is superior to MP3s, but of course its a transcode so my technicality fails!

10. BumBataa

BumBataa Newbie

this is embarrassing at best

11. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep sure but these version posted here and there may not even be final version...anyways as soon as it leaks i'll get it *yes*

12. ref

ref Newbie

Actually I think the loudness is only so high in this one because it's a low quality upload from roadrunner. Ive seen another video of the same song, but with much better quality, and it wasnt clipping or anything. It was definitely a lot quieter.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Newbie

:wow: Can't believe the loudness war has come THIS FAR! Is this track listenable at all?

14. BumBataa

BumBataa Newbie

to be honest I also believe it's a wrong upload, this is just a block of sound.

15. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

i blame FG-X and ear buds

16. gowers

gowers Newbie

i actually disagree!

Metallica is a bad example as this is squished music that sounds clipped and poorly mixed, death magnetic wasn't a causality of the loudness war it was a poor engineer with no idea how to mix an album.

There is pretty comprehensive data that says to our ears louder sounds better, the same track with an extra 0.2dB will sounds subjectively better. Now this is where a good mix engineer can squeeze out not only perceived loudness but also keep it under 0dBfs and also clip it without side affects that are audible.

I still believe we have not hit the ceiling in the loudness wars, but it's also true that dynamics aren't dead.

I still maintain that dynamics are not restrained by the volume but more by frequencies. For example a kick with a click at the start then solid fundamental is louder than a kick with both at the same time.

Frequency masking is to blame for the most part. A clear example of this to gain loudness is sidechaining, where a Low frequency sound is ducked in response the presence of a high frequency one.

The fact remains high rms sound is here to stay and to compete you have to understand how to do it without sounding like death magnetic and metallic.

I believe they re-released death magnetic too in a non squashed version by a better engineer.

17. redback

redback Newbie

I don't know what you've done but it's not possible for something that you can hear as a piece of music to look like that . . .

Here's what it actually looks like:

[​IMG]

18. redback

redback Newbie

That was the same upload from Roadrunner records too, as described by the OP . . . this version of the track has a crest factor of 9dB which isn't too bad at all . . . not even in the same league as Death Magnetic which has an average crest factor of 3dB!

19. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

it's leaked...didn't have time to listen to it yet but will soon!

20. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

The company removed and reuploaded the track about 5 or 6 times. After a couple of times, I gave up verifying the mastering levels, and frankly any interest in this song.

21. redback

redback Newbie

Hehe, fair enough :)