Extreme loading time for some libraries

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by zero-frag, Feb 6, 2014.

1. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Here's my problem:
    While some libraries load instantaneously, even heavy ones (it still loads in the background for a while though), some take an INSANE amount of time to load. And i'm not talking about background loading. I will click on the instrument and then my computer will freeze for a few minutes before loading the instrument. It does it with almost all of the 8Dio stuff that's kinda heavy for example. One particular case: if I want to load the 1928 Steinway piano, my computer will freeze for about 7 to 10 minutes before loading the instrument (then it still has to to backrgound loading). Sable Strings freezes my computer for almost 15 minutes.
    This happens with the following libraries:
    -8Dio stuff
    -Cineperc
    -Sable Strings
    This is really cutting my workflow when every time I have to load an instrument I basically have to go watch TV for 10 min while it loads. I can't even watch youtube videos, no audio. Does anyone have this problem ? and possibly how to fix it ? ^^
    PS: Yes, I batch resaved all of my libraries.

3. whitePhazer

whitePhazer Newbie

Are they all on the same hard drive?

4. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Yes, and it's an external hard drive so I expect that slows down the data transfer rates by quite a bit, but this much ??

5. whitePhazer

whitePhazer Newbie

USB 2 or 3

6. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

USB 3.0 but it doesn't have its own power chord, which makes it pretty much just as slow as a usb2.0 I think

7. whitePhazer

whitePhazer Newbie

That could be your problem.You could try putting Sable String on an internal drive and see if that's quicker.

8. retroboy

retroboy Producer

What DAW are you using, 32 or 64 bit?

I was having this exact same problem, along with crashes and huge load times. I switched to 64 bit in Studio One only yesterday and my KONTAKT libraries load twice as fast now and no more crashes. (I think it only makes a difference switching to 64 bit if you've got more thab 4GB RAM though.)

I'd defo try whitePhazer's suggestion of an internal HD drive first if possible though

9. franknitty69

franknitty69 Newbie

sounds like a hard drive issue. could be the drive or even the enclosure. i have all my big kontakt libraries on an external fw drive. it's (2) 1tb hdd's in raid 0. loading for me is under 1 minute. for instance, 1928 3RR Mid mem loads in about 30 seconds.

download aja speed test and run it to see if you are getting the correct speeds for your interface and drive.

if the aja speed test comes back good, then maybe the instruments and multis are not optimized. you can fix this by performing a batch resave. batch resaving has been known to shave off loading times tremendously.

p.s. even if you are using bus power, you should still get usb 3.0 speeds that are in line with the drive in the enclosure.

10. whitePhazer

whitePhazer Newbie

He has batch resaved, so it could be a drive issue.

11. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Try to monitor resources first.
    Example, on Windows 7 : task manager, resource monitor.
    You can see hard drive, memory, CPU...everything.

You can test your external hard drive with HD tune on windows, for bandwidth.
    And use any kind of scandisk for bad sectors.
    For anything more advanced, you need to put the drive directly in SATA port inside computer.

Good luck :mates:

12. franknitty69

franknitty69 Newbie

didn't see that. in that case...most likely a drive issue.

13. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Alright guys.... what is this "Batch Resave" thing going' on in here. Put me on. Sounds very resourceful.

Gonna research that.

14. whitePhazer

whitePhazer Newbie

Files/Batch Re-save

15. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Ok so I tried putting 1928 Steinway on my internal hard drive and run it from there andddd..... it still freezes my computer for ages. I think it's slightly improved but still, wtf ? Any ideas ?
    I guess my computer is crap is main conclusion

16. whitePhazer

whitePhazer Newbie

Can you list you computer specs, cpu, memory etc.

17. lukie

lukie Newbie

how much free space is on your drives well mainly C drive?.
    If go less then 15% of free space on C drive you start to get performance issues programs need space to run.
    and defrag regally

18. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

I have a laptop with 8gb of DDR3 RAM, integrated soundcard, intel i7 2.2ghz. My HDD is 750gb I have about 300gb left so I don't think space is the issue. I think my HDD is 5200rpm as it's a laptop but I'm not sure

19. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Also, the load time has more to do with the sheer number of files more so than the size of the lib in bytes.

20. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Does this still happen in standalone?
    What version of Kontakt do you have?
    go to your registry
    Export this key(just right-click it and press export make a name and save to your desktop)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5
    Now right-click and Delete this Key

open kontakt and everything is back to factory settings(brand new) configure your audio & midi setting only and try to load a sample library and see what happens?

21. franknitty69

franknitty69 Newbie

even with a 5200rpm hdd, those specs are more than enough to run kontakt and 8dio 1928. which instrument are you trying to load? the lite patches should load in less than 5 seconds.