Extracting or converting old sample cd's

Discussion in 'PC' started by The Iceman, Aug 23, 2013.

1. The Iceman

The Iceman Kapellmeister

I hope one of you guys can help me. How you guys go about converting some of the old sample cd's that are in .BIN format? I know this might of been a little dumb but I tried dragging it into kontakt and Ableton to no avail. Anyone have any tips or a program name that could help me solve this problem?

3. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

BIN Format is a CD-Image. If the original format of the sample CD is a windows or MAC file system compatible one, you could easily burn the bin file using burning software like NERO or simply UltraISO..at OSX properly TOAST. You also can extract its content with UltraISO or simply mount it as a virtual CD (there are several tools to do it)
    If the format of the sample CD in origin is AKAI format, you also should have a *.cue file additionally to the *.bin file. With this one you can burn the image in burning software like Alkohol120% and then load it in KONTAKT or what ever Sampler that supports AKAI format. And dont wonder if in WINDOWS Explorer you will not see anything on the burned disk...this is because AKAI formated disks are not compatible to WIN or OSX file system! If you want to convert them to another format use CDxtract (of cause after burning it..dont try to load the bin-file to CDxtract..this dont work)

4. korgrog

korgrog Member

you could use Extreme Sample Converter , you can mount virtual disks with it, find on the other site

just search for it still out there

UltraISO, you can convert to iso format without .cue file

Virtual CloneDrive by EB free

If files are in cd audio format they will not mount sometimes you will need to extract them

hope this helps

5. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

As far as I know AKAI Format sample CDS can not be mounted! You have to burn them. Even UltraISO is not able to open nor to extract them. You definetely have to burn them with Alcohol120% or some othe burning softs I dont know! And normally you need the *.cue file because it contains information aboiut the final file format of the BIN file!

6. korgrog

korgrog Member

Is this the type of format you are talking about

Atomic Xl Good Karma WAV SCDS

I will give it a try

7. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

If its a simple WAV SCDS you can extract files from the bin-file using UltraISO. Even freeware 7-zip is able to do so. There should be no problem!

8. korgrog

korgrog Member

lost now lukehh

what file format are talking about

different AKAI Format?

Extreme Sample Converter will virtual mount a AKAI iso or bin :break:

9. virusg

virusg Rock Star

CDXtract 4

10. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

I have no idea what we're talking about! :rofl:
    Is Extreme Sample Converter also able to mount an AKAI disk image so you can use it in KONTAKT..or is it only possible to use the mounted image in Extreme Sample Converter?
    Finally it would be helpful if the thread opener would be a little more precise about the bin files name for example because normally it comes with some information.