Extract Samples from Superior Drummer Libraries?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pcs901, Feb 24, 2020.

1. pcs901

pcs901 Member

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to extract the samples from Toontrack's .obw files. I did some searching and found a program called obw file converter but there's no download link and the development page has been removed, so I'm unsure if it was ever even finished. Does anyone know? Any other ideas?
    I know some people have recorded individual samples in their DAW and then exported those...trying to avoid that, I want to get the raw samples so that I obtain them all in the best quality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Toontrack R&D Team certainly has a tool that allows to extract samples from their libs but it's fair to assume that this will never be released. Leaked maybe?

4. pcs901

pcs901 Member

Yeah, someone appeared to be developing a program to do this as there's a SourceForge link to it but the page is gone. I can only assume it was stopped due to Toontrack requesting it to be removed.

5. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

6. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Hmm, well, as they will have tools to compress/encrypt the source raw samples into the distribution library files, and as they already have the raw source samples, there's obviously no need to try and extract them from the compressed/encrypted libraries.

It would be easy enough to set up an Autosampler type thing in your DAW to resample out the samples, but you'd have the choose the level of detail and mic positions etc you'd want....

7. pcs901

pcs901 Member

My main concerns with resampling are:
    1. Actually being able to get all the samples for each velocity with RR's
    2. More importantly I am unaware how accessible Toontrack's interface is; I'm blind so messing around with setting up all the kit pieces, mics etc is potentially not possible. I have found very little information on this.

So that's why I was hoping someone had figured this out...basically InNKX for Toontrack libraries. It's probably pretty unlikely though.

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Years ago with SD2 (an experiment), I created a template with stepped velocities & regions to trigger notes into rendered files.

Divide the velocity scale by the number of rendered velocities wanted. You really have to listen to determine if more than eight steps are required. SD3 may have better velocity separation than SD2.

Long notes require wider regions.

If I find the template it will get posted for everyone to share.

9. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

a tool like this will be amazing .. we could really see and extract all toontrack samples .. and make them ever better