External SSDs Disconnecting When Opening Project

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by ghostwriter, Jul 3, 2024 at 11:45 PM.

1. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

I am working on a particularly Kontakt-heavy project. Recently my external SSDs and audio device disconnect then reconnect when opening the project, resulting in errors.

What is the culprit behind this? All my USB hubs are powered.

3. omiac

omiac Moderator Staff Member

Just to clarify, its not necessarily a Kontakt issue, but rather you think its Studio One? If not, please move the thread to the Kontakt subforum for more/better replies related to your issue (or PM me and I will move it for you).

Through process of elimination, if it only happens while using Kontakt, it could be the culprit, however perhaps both need reconfiguring of some sort to better suite your SSD workflow. I don't use Studio One and I try to avoid Kontakt as much as possible, so I am not the person to help you troubleshoot this issue.. sorry I cant be of more help, but surely others here can and will :winker:

4. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

I'm dumb. I have enough ports in my PC for audio interface and SSDs, and putting them in the PC dedicated ports instead of the USB hub did the trick. No more disconnects. Though I am curious if there is a USB hub suitable for music production of this scale.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

You should really avoid a hub as much as possible. Firmware updates of hardware will frequently fail if connected via USB hub even. You should always avoid it if you have the spare ports open instead. Maybe if you get some super-hub it would be ok. But hubs go from reasonable prices to very expensive very quickly. If you prioritize certain things which really need to go directly to the computer; you can avoid spending money for things that don't matter to transfer faster.

6. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

usb cables are neither locking nor keyed, so depending on the qualities of the cable or socket, and the size of the pins, it can become quite easy for cables to exhibit momentary disconnect/reconnect problems, it can be due to heat/cold, vibration or even slightly moving the device inserted in the usb bus. I have had drives corruput from this problem.

I am not a big fan of using USB on large external drives, when I have to use it, I tape all the connectors to ensure they cannot move until I need them to move.

i'm contemplating supergluing nuts to the sockets so I can glue screws in sleeves to the USB cables to lock them in place, since the oem's don't give a shit about the crappy connections.

i've found these help at least on the drive side
    [​IMG]

remember the smaller the cable like micro usb or usb c, the smaller the traces, the smaller the surface area for contact, the more likely contact will be momentarily broken should the cable move physically.

its a shitty standard designed to sell more cables and peripherals, since they are literally designed to fail. good luck and keep double backups, if you really need your data..

7. Talula

Talula Rock Star

yes, it is exist. usb hub with external power - powered usb hub.