external ssd - what to put where

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by grasshopper, Jul 4, 2024 at 7:03 PM.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Well, I bought a used 2014 mac mini and in order to get what I thought was best like 3ghz i7 etc. I had to accept the fusion drive (128 ssd 1tb slow mo hd. I think I want an external ssd but which one how big and then what to keep on the 128 internal and what can be put on the external thinking speed. I will be using Rebelle 7 painting, logic with 7 or eight plugs including Kontack, and photoshop. If someone has been there and done that let me know how you configured you system.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 6, 2024 at 10:07 PM
  3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

SSd prices are expected to rise into 2025, so watch for sales, it might be a good buying opportunity.
    Amazon prime days will be in july, and may have some good prices, if you are a prime member or can qualify for prime via student discount etc.

1tb ssd are still reasonably priced. I use a couple for external sample libraries and manuals and tutorials for software etc.

remember when using an ssd you should only fill it 75% so thats a bummer as well.
    SSD's can run hot, so try to get a ventilated case for the drive or one that couples to the drive and acts as a heat sink, keep it in an area where it can get air flow and doesn't receive heat like in a sunny window or on top of an amp or other electronic gear.

If you find the need to save project files to the external ssd, you might want to partition it as 2 volumes, so you can easily image just the volume that has the projects on it for backups.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

You want MacOS using the SSD as a System Drive. That is the most important part. The Mac will run so much faster. This is where your applications generally live. Your samples and other stuff can go on an external HDD to save on drives that are for storage. Unless you are going to be moving the Mini and the drive around physically. Mechanical drives can be damaged that way, and SSD will not be. You do not need Kontakt libraries, samples, presets, and many plugins themselves on an SSD. Hdd will usually work fine.

You should make a bootable USB (Flash) Drive with the MacOS on it. I think I might start with High Sierra if you can, and then update from there to whatever you want. Also, the Tools you need will often ship with the SSD drive if you buy a replacement kit online. You do not need a Tamper-Proof Torx, just the regular ones.

The most convenient option would be to just replace the internal drive with an SSD. You can probably boot it from an external USB SSD, but remember this is going to cost you a physical usb port. You do not have many to start with, and a hub is not recommended. Research all the pricing details; but if you do go the internal replacement route, then here you go:

You
    How to replace 2014 Mac Mini internal HDD with a new SSD?

ChatGPT
    Replacing the internal HDD with an SSD in a 2014 Mac Mini involves several steps. Here’s a general guide to help you through the process:

Things You'll Need:
    1. SSD: Ensure it is compatible with your Mac Mini (SATA III, 2.5-inch form factor is common).
    2. Tools: A set of precision screwdrivers (Phillips #00 and T6 Torx screwdriver).
    3. External Enclosure or Adapter: Optional but recommended for transferring data from the old HDD to the new SSD.
    Step-by-Step Guide:
    1. Prepare Your Mac Mini
    • Shut down your Mac Mini completely and unplug all cables.
    • Place it on a soft surface to prevent scratching.
    2. Accessing the Hard Drive
    • Flip the Mac Mini upside down.
    • Use a putty knife or opening tool to pry open the bottom cover. Start from the edge where the ports are located.
    • Be gentle to avoid damaging the clips holding the cover.
    3. Removing the HDD
    • Locate the HDD inside the Mac Mini (it will be the larger component).
    • Disconnect the SATA and power connectors from the HDD.
    • Unscrew the screws holding the HDD in place. There may be several screws, typically Torx screws (T6).
    • Carefully remove the HDD from its compartment.
    4. Installing the SSD
    • Attach the mounting brackets from the old HDD to the new SSD if necessary.
    • Insert the SSD into the compartment in the same orientation as the HDD was.
    • Secure the SSD with the screws you removed earlier.
    5. Connecting Cables
    • Connect the SATA cable and power connector to the SSD.
    6. Closing Up
    • Double-check all connections to ensure they are secure.
    • Place the bottom cover back onto the Mac Mini and press gently until it clicks into place.
    7. Reassembling and Testing
    • Plug in all cables and peripherals.
    • Power on your Mac Mini.
    • If the SSD is new (not cloned), you may need to install macOS onto it using a bootable installer or through macOS Recovery.
    8. Data Migration (if applicable)
    • If you have data on the old HDD that you want on the new SSD, you can use an external enclosure or adapter to connect the old HDD to the Mac Mini via USB.
    • Use migration software (like Apple's Migration Assistant) to transfer your files and settings from the old HDD to the new SSD.
    Notes:
    • Compatibility: Ensure the SSD you choose is compatible with your Mac Mini model (SATA III interface).
    • Data Migration: If you are transferring data, ensure your SSD is large enough to accommodate all your data from the old HDD.
    • Backup: Always back up important data before starting any hardware modifications.
    Following these steps should allow you to successfully replace the internal HDD of your 2014 Mac Mini with a new SSD, improving its performance and potentially increasing storage capacity.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 8:07 AM
  5. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Wow, That is a very comprehensive answer. Thank you. You've given me a lot to think about. I don't know how the 2 drives are set up inside. I do have a ssd in a macBook air that I no longer use. I wonder if that might be an answer. Like maybe put the older ssd along side the 128 ssd which is in the 2014 mini.