Exporting project to separate stems in Live

Discussion in 'Live' started by Sonar Sounds, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Hi all,

I'm working on a CPU aggressive project, with lots of plugins and channels. When I loop a section, the CPU indicator jumps over 100% and lags, giving a 'click' noise when ''restarting'' the loop. As a result, I've decided to export it as separate stems and mix it like that.

I've already exported the project as ''separate stems'', but I can't figure out how to reassemble them to make the project sound like it is: the problem is I use groups, sends, insert tracks, etc... and when I drag and drop all the stems, it looks like Ableton created a stem for every individual channel AND every group they're assigned to, and ALSO every send they're feeding...
    As you can imagine, the end result is poor, and I can't figure out if Ableton creates the stems of the dry and wet channels (separating them into the individual channel stem and the send channel stem) or if the individual channel has already got the send signal into it. :dunno:

Please help if you know more about what's hiding behind the curtain of this process :wink: :wink:
    Thanks!

3. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

ABleton create a stem for every single track in the set so a group's outpr will be exported as well as each of the track in the groupe. That's why it's important to properly name your tracks so you know what to import back in ableton. You can also freeze the tracks that use the most CPU, that will free your processor and it just acts like you have exported and reused a stem (which it really is, the only difference that when you freeze a track, Ableton keeps evrything in the background and load it back when you unfreeze).

4. davea

davea Platinum Record

Dude, check what Jake Perrine in this video, some input there should help you.

cheers

5. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

All the channels are wet with the vsts that are EXCLUSIVELY on that channel.

For example, your "kick" file will have all of the eqing applied to the "kick" track but NOT anything applied to your drum bus. If you want the drum buss processing, either use the drum bus wav file or recreate the processing.

If you're doing matering, use the busses wav files, if you're still in the mixing process use the individual wav tracks

6. Gnib

Gnib Producer

Just freeze and flatten, then switch of warp. If you have enough RAM on your computer, put as much as you can in RAM mode in the clip properties window.

Suc6

7. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Thanks a lot!! This helped a lot in solving the problem, now the mix is 100% like it was before! :mates: