Exponential Audio R2 (for 20$) worth it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by VSKZ, Oct 30, 2021.

1. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

Hi!
    Just saw this offer right here and a user here recommended this reverb to me.
    https://www.pluginboutique.com/meta_product/2-Effects/17-Reverb/5239-Exponential-Audio-R2

but I know that there is also R4 which sounds like an updated version of R2 and I generally don't like the feeling of having a "lite" version of some plugin. Of course, they want to sell me an update on R4 later.

So what do you think?

Just saw that there is also Phoenix & Nimbus

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. daisydd

daisydd Ultrasonic

Hi VSKZ,
    I bought all of them when they were on sale over time.
    All of these plugins are well worth it.
    The reverbs are very high quality and Nimbus has nice modulation as well.
    If they are on sale now and you can afford them, you will be very happy.
    The Valhalla plugins are also worth it.
    Have a great day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

And would you say R4 is better than R2?
    I don't want the feeling that I got the shittier version of a plugin.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Clear purchase recommendation - I think they are now part of iZotope.
    Only the optics never convince me of the company's halls, but that's a matter of taste.

Exponential Audio R2 Reverb Review

With the PhoenixVerb and R2 plug-in, Exponential Audio has actually succeeded in developing a great-sounding reverb that is surprisingly easy to use despite the impressive depth of detail of the parameters. The former Lexicon developer Michael Carnes not only contributed his relevant expertise to both plug-ins, but also further developed the known concepts in an extremely sensible way and demonstrated extraordinary instinct for handling the numerous parameters. In view of the very moderate pricing, DAW users will receive an almost unbeatable offer in the future. Competitors can now expect a new, serious competitor.

Price range: top class Price: 359 € Rating: very good Price / performance: very good - outstanding
    Source/German: www.professional-audio.de/test-hall-plug-in-exponential-audio-phoenixverb-und-r2/

6. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

And would you say R4 is better than R
    Did you get R2 and R4, or just one of them? The Video Demo sounds very impressive!

Also, is it true that you only get 1 activation? I need at least two for home and studio, so that would be a dealbreaker.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

R4 is definitely better. Yes single Licence. Buy 2 pieces!

R2 Good, R4 Better?

In appearance, and in most of its core parameters, R4 looks and feels like an expanded version of R2. Its own preset library includes all of R2’s presets, and provided you stick to the common parameters, it can be used in much the same way, with much the same results. Exponential say that you won’t get identical results from the two, but R4 is certainly close enough that I can’t imagine anyone needing both.

However, you don’t have to spend very long playing with the new features to realise that this really isn’t just more of the same. R2 is, at heart, a pretty conventional general-purpose algorithmic reverb, albeit a very good one, which wears its ‘vintage digital’ character lightly; you have to try quite hard to coax anything very weird or special-effecty from it. R4 can do all the same things, but once you start using the new features in earnest, R2’s core functionality feels like quite a contained subset of what’s possible.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about R4 is the way in which all of these new features pull together towards the same common goal of creating reverb that works in a mix. No matter how unnatural things sound when you solo the reverb return, when heard in context, R4 always seems to frame its sources just right. It can add dimension and grandeur when called upon to do so; it can be edgy and aggressive when it needs to be; richness and density are available on demand; and its short rooms and ambiences can enhance a source without even suggesting ‘reverberation’ to the ear. In designing R4, Michael Carnes has paid close attention to the creative ways in which real-world rock and pop engineers are using reverb, and has come up with something that ticks all the right boxes.

www.soundonsound.com/reviews/exponential-audio-r4

Exponential Audio R4

Now owned by iZotope, Exponential Audio’s flagship reverb draws on creator Michael Carnes’ formidable expertise as a developer for Lexicon to present a supremely classy option for the well-heeled muso. R4 is bristling with powerful features: Plate, Chamber and two colourful Hall algorithms; independent filtering, chorusing and widening of the early reflections and tail; pitch modulation; distortion and dynamics processing; a full-spec noise gate; tail ducking; a freeze function for the wet signal and more.

Conceptually and operationally, this is about as complex as reverbs get, and the sounds R4 makes are commensurately rich, detailed and nuanced, from realistic real-world spaces and larger-than-life cinematic vistas, to hyper-real explorations in audio design and wild frozen ’scapes. Stunning.

www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/algorithmic-reverb-plugins-5-of-the-best

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I can recommend the Waves as an all-round reverb, it's cheaper than ever:

Waves - H-Reverb Hybrid Reverb
    - SAVE 91% - $29.99 With Coupon: CREATE40
    https://www.waves.com/plugins/h-reverb-hybrid-reverb#greg-wells-on-using-h-reverb-for-vocals

What all this adds up to is a complete toolkit for reverb treatment. The delays could be used on their own to create vintage tape-style echoes, while the reverb itself does a great job of emulating both classic hardware and more modern reverb devices. Many current vocal treatments combine reverb and delay, all of which are covered within this plug-in, while tasks such as compression, ducking, de-essing and sweep filtering that are usually handled via separate plug-ins are always on call if you need them.

Most importantly, the reverb itself sounds musical, adding scale and dimension to sounds without pushing them into the background or making them sound muddy. It’s probably fair to say that if you need an accurate recreation of specific acoustic environments, then a conventional convolution reverb with a large library of IRs may be more appropriate, but for pop and rock music production I think Waves have pretty much got it nailed with H-Reverb.

And yes, it does hog a little CPU overhead, with the standard stereo version using around 20 percent of my Macbook Pro’s CPU capacity at 44.1kHz, according to the meters in Logic Pro, but the result is worth it — and anyway, how often are you going to need more than one or two of these in a mix? www.soundonsound.com/reviews/waves-h-reverb

FabFilter Pro-R (169 €)
    Do you offer discounts for site licenses with multiple seats?
    Sure we do! A normal FabFilter license is personal, but if you need a license which can be used by more than one person (for example, you have a studio with multiple control rooms, and different people working there), you need a site license for multiple seats.
    1st seat = full price // 2nd seat = 40% discount // 3rd seat = 45% discount www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-r-reverb-plug-in

Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Bundle (299 €)
    Copy protection: iLok 2 / iLok 3 (401447) // Simultaneous activation: 1 // Eventide - UltraReverb (199 $)
    Comprehensive Reverb with 9 effect types