Expanding a Major tonality range

Discussion in 'Education' started by Freetobestolen, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marseilles

Marseilles Member

I don't know those people who like your posts really know what they like or they perk up as soon as they see some chords at your findings. I think you and they have wet chordy dreams every night.
    According to your answering machine, an illuminating answer is a rarity.:shalom:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  2. refix

refix Platinum Record

'Marseilles' has gone socratic.

believe me, it is very pseudo-snob-elitist -- so you can start your smug-judgement-policing and feel very good about your heroic self.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

:rofl:

That's actually a Great idea you know.. we could in fact do this Black Grimoire of Harmony,
    and be the ones to bring all this Sacrilegious concepts to the masses..

Things like: Chromatic Modulation, Pitch Axis, Modal Functional Harmony, Napolitan Chord = ivb6,
    Tritone not evoking the Devil/b2 being as much of a Diabolus, Hermode tuning..

What else do we have?
    I'm starting to loose track.. :yes:

And we even got the spotting/bait hunting method..
    Whatever seems to exist empirically, but irritates/triggers Orthodox Academicists and Jazz/Classical Purists,
    could be a good candidate for our "Apocryphal" and diabolus evoking scriptures.. lol

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well my, thanks. I already did.
    Wow, no no. I'm nothing like a hero: rude, mean, pervert, coward, male-white-straight-no-vegan and drunkard.
    And to top it off I even like Nexus 4. I know, I'm the worst...

5. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

So you're saying.. you're a ProTools fanboy and iLok advocate,
    who hangs out with Steven Slate, Manuel Schleiss and Foster,
    going around town Perverting/corrupting the Youth, and what's worse.. bringing them into Digital Audio/Music Production?

:dont:

:rofl:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I didn't daresay all the terrible truths you're uncovering. Yes, I'm also guilty of all that too...
    I'm not proud and I know I'll go straight to Hell where I belong.
    I only hope when I soon leave this world someone, if even one, reminds one of my jokes and still laughs his ass off :rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Your half-assed iPad accessories will be more than enough to send you to hell. :bleh:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Bad for sure,

Herewith the reasons why ( Pentatonic arpeggios ) :

upload_2021-9-7_22-3-50.png

The air gets heavy with all this "coding", doesn't it?

Hard to make friends when talking about such, that's why so many "let the ears be your guide", "play the 7 notes mode but emphasize the charactistic intervals", "if sounds right, is right", etc...

Here is the deal: find me a better way to describe that and I'll get you more prizes. Deal?

I'd love to read it. Can you share a copy? I would agree with him anyday...

upload_2021-9-7_22-15-7.png

You're in for a treat...

:like:

Attached Files:

9. Seriously? I'm in...

Chromatic mediants and Diatonic chromatic mediants, parallel and oblique augmentation, chromatic diminishes...

Check the attach...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2021

Attached Files:

10. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

"Theory of Harmony - Arnold Schoenberg"
    This translation based on 3rd Edition - completed 1921 - published 1922 (1st Edition was 1911)

Contents pages
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ---
    Example (first) page from "Chapter XVIII - A few remarks concerning ninth chords"
    [​IMG]

Full Book (not a brilliant copy - but a brilliant book)
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/ragkajbde7usagw/AS-ToH.rar
    I just got reminded that mediafire now blocks requests originating from audiosex
    So - you'll need to copy/paste the above link into a new browser tab.

11. Thanks a bunch mate.

12. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Yeah, yeah, arguing that a musical teachings based on pre-1830s type of musical system, styles and tuning are irrelevant in 1911...
    Even on irregularly tempered keyboard (like the schemes used by J. Bach) a 9th chord may be dubious affair in most cases (if you are not after dissonant effect).

13. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

A dubious affair sounds like my cup of tea - maybe especially in music.
    If I saw a music theory book with that title I might even buy it. :)

14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The standard concert pitch or normal pitch, which has been valid in many countries since an international conference in London in 1939, is fixed at a1 = 440 Hertz (Hz).
    In German and Austrian symphony orchestras, however, a1 = 443 Hz is common, in Switzerland a1 = 442 Hz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Sorry but the throne and bog roll award is strictly for the sloppiest blueprint comment
    - it's not awarded for the most irrelevant comment :rofl:

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

OMG I'm lost for words... and that's very rare :rofl::rofl::rofl::lmao::lmao::lmao::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

PART 1. of reply = deliberately exaggerated criticism - please don't take offence.
    Your choice of phrase "coding" is very apt here - but not for good reasons.
    A frequent criticism of computer programmers writing "code" is that they fail to document (in plain English) what the code is supposed to be doing, and then any other programmer looking at it endures the pointless puzzle of "decoding" before they can see what it's supposed to do. Frequently, even the original programmer comes back and looks at the "code" 6 months later, looks at it baffled, and wishes they had documented it in a tidier, more verbose, more informative manner.

I had exactly the same sensation looking at your chart.
    To "you" it's obvious why you have colour coded in red, blue, green, and black, but anyone else looking at it has to waste time figuring out what the colours imply. And it's not just the colours that provide an extra pointless puzzle; the whole thing is a decoding puzzle.
    I found myself saying...
    "why the hell am I wasting time on a boring "decoding" puzzle when all I want to do is think about the musical information?".
    The musical information might be really interesting to explore but the "price of entry" to that nice musical puzzle is too high if I have to surmount notational puzzles first and/or make subjective guesses about what the goals are.

PART 2. of reply - positive suggestion
    The decoding puzzle prior to assimilating the music info is not insurmountable but it's very off-putting.
    So a positive suggestion... How about explaining the entire chart in plain English - leave no stone unturned - take nothing for granted - assume your reader wants the whole thing explained. I'm pretty sure that if and when I read the "plain English" description, I will find that I have misintepretted various aspects - and I'm pretty sure many other readers who may have just glazed over at the "decoding" stage will then find the chart accessible for the first time.

You said... "The air gets heavy with all this "coding", doesn't it?"
    YES - but not because the music ideas are heavy going
    YES - because there's too much pre-work 'decoding' to do to identify which music ideas you want people to focus on.

PART 3. of reply - very positive
    IF
    you had done the opposite, and provided a wordy description but no examples I would be ranting about "where's the examples?"
    Those examples are valuable; they are the best part - but it would be nice if you could please make access to the ideas within them MUCH easier by providing wordy plain English descriptions of what you want people to see in them.

Cheers :wink:

18. Fair enough. None taken.

I suppose I could answer coping with all these points, but then I'd rather need to present my perspectives from the ground up, for them to hopefully start making sense...

It wouldn't fit in this thread though (screwed a long time ago btw). Should I start a new one?

If so, I'd aprecciate a title suggestion.

Cheers

PS: I haven't forgotten about presenting "logical" cadences for other than I and vi.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2021
  19. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

So, what can you tell us about that? :wink:

20. I'm glad you asked...

Check the attach

Cheers

Attached Files: