Expanding a Major tonality range

Discussion in 'Education' started by Freetobestolen, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You as a savant and the smartest member of this forum, and perhaps all the forums, I have a question from you:

How to make music with these attractive chords?

Thanks for your infinite munificent largess.:winker:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2021
  2. Oh joy, that was a cringy sarcasm attempt.

Which chords? There's only one.

Try PM bASSduDe about that. He might be able to explain you, after all he knows that intimately and, most importantly, you'll succeed in using it on stage afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2021
  3. What does that mean? Does that mean these chords are just useful in the showcase and looking?:sad:

4. Only savants will know...

5. So you definitely know.:hug:

6. Me?! Nah... it's just another misappropriation of mine. Google it and you'll find it easily.

PS. Don't forget to report me to the legit owner.

7. You seem to want this part to be kept secret and not trained.:sad:

8. I surrender... you got me on that one, you little mind-reader.

9. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

A very comprehensive talk about Barry Harris and his Strange/interesting point of view,
    where they explain how he understood/dealt with Chromatism, Diminished, Whole-tone and Octatonic bop scales,
    Dim and 6th Chords Harmonization etc..

Not much of a fan of all the esoteric stuff, but at least he got it all figured out..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Agree with all of that, especially...
    This video's overview of Barry Harris ideas and the ideas themselves - both excellent.
    The underlying maps are well contrived. The recommendations about guitar voicings are sweet.
    Stuff like this is inspirational.

And (again) I say that as someone (a heretic) who is really not a jazz fan. Despite not being a jazz fan, I have always found that some of the best music theory explorations and explanations do emerge from the jazz world.
    Just an entirely personal feeling:- it's almost like jazz players discover and develop fabulous ideas and then musically run off in the wrong directions with them. Like I said - I'm a jazz heretic that prefers to listen to people like Joe Satriani and Jeff Beck rather than John Coltrane or Miles Davis (jazz fans can now hit me with their rhythm sticks :yes:)

Barry Harris is a great example of a jazz player that can pull me in as a listener (for a while)
    AND really impress with his theory discussions (forever).

A cool example of him playing: Barry Harris Trio - Live at Dizzy's, New York, June 2017 Part 2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMRelQzdOIQ

For theory refs:
    See sister site for Barry Harris Jazz Workshop
    See libgen for a great textbook from Alan Kingstone = Barry Harris Harmonic Method for Guitar

@Freetobestolen - this is NOT a sarcastic swipe; but really, theory examples like this are what you need to be aiming for. Superior resources like these include beautifully systematic and articulated theorising leading to demonstrably usable techniques. They are so much more than personal quirky arbitrary lists of scales and chords. Although I do seriously support all of us developing our own personal quirky theory maps, really we have to humbly compare them to the explorations outlined here; and the comparisons do not flatter us! :wink:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I think you desperately need some newfangled ways of trolling. I suggest you stop taking refuge in these old clapped out techniques. These old fashioned methods are so worn out and tiresome even when you try to forcibly feed them to us. :dunno:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

@Hermes Mercury
    your last 2 comments bring nothing about Expanding a Major tonality range, enough trolling please

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

That is a very nice facility - so these comments are NOT a criticism.
    Just a pity it's not really JavaScript but actually Server-based Java.
    Hence no chance of me downloading it locally to my machine. :sad:
    Some people like me always want jam on it :yes:
    ---
    and here's some jam to enjoy... The site does include references.
    For example on the page at https://jguitar.com/scale/G/Hungarian Major
    it includes this reference http://cnx.org/content/m11636/latest/#fig4a
    which itself refers to books by Author: Catherine Schmidt-Jones and each of the books is downloadable.
    I'm a glutton for books. :wink:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  15. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Oh really, I thought it was Javascript.

BTW how you download it locally? there are quite interesting things but It really take time to make it work locally, there are so many things that breaks, the most odd are the cross site scripting, anyway my idea is just take some functionality.
    This is Javascript 100% sure and also very cool app https://www.onemotion.com/chord-player/

16. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

The reference to https://www.onemotion.com/chord-player is excellent, and as you mentioned in a previous comment, that resource could (sometimes) be used very well in a thread like this one - for convenient sharing of chord sequence demonstrations, etc. Less useful, if and when the details become intricate. (e.g,. it would have been impossible to illustrate a phrygian-lydian polymodal chromatic example in there :))

But for unravelling the code - we are off topic.
    You asked > BTW how you download it locally?
    It varies so much; impossible to describe a general technique. Sometimes very easy, sometimes very hard. I see you already understand that from your comments about 'takes time to make it work locally'. Even the simplest examples usually need us to figure out what's going on in the HTML and especially what .js scripts are involved and what they're doing. It's always a trade off - 'how desirable' versus 'how much effort' - and sometimes the 'how much effort' part is just too expensive.
    I did look at the onemotion.com resource (because it's very nice). I gave up when I saw that the main .js script is compiled and there is some site-specific loading happening within that script. Not impossible to unravel (if my life depended on it) but far too much effort to be bothered. I take a very casual 'win some - lose some' attitude when considering grabbing and converting resources to work offline. For both jguitar and onemotion, they're too well secured to tempt me; so congrats to the authors - I'll just behave and use them online as they intended.

17. Before being banned based on unfounded accusations by the dear mod (that is not interested even slightly to refine the wrong viewpoints), I'm telling you that you won't achieve anything with these apps or this way of looking to music.

Now report me to lackadaisical mod to ban me to continue your vain attempts.:bow:

18. Olymoon

There is a topic for this thread, no one is asking if playing jazz is right or wrong. The thread's topic is not about your ego and your opinion, it's about a very specific thing in music.

So, no we are not interested in your opinion, not in this particular thread.

But it seems that your ego is too big to understand that there are places and moments to state your opinion...

So, you can justify your lack of control calling me "lackadaisical mod" but this is still the truth.

19. Olymoon

Yes you are... how difficult is it to keep a thread like this in topic? The title is very clear.

20. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

I
    I thought you could possibly be using a specialized app, I do exactly the same but with less motivation as I do prefer open source alternatives, could be cool to save them local for experimentation, I will look to make a local javascript easy to save.

I just finished a scraper script, it requires python of course and some libraries, panda, get, lxml (not sure) it really depends of the webpage too

What it does is convert websites table information into a well formatted csv file.
    I am using it to get music theory info to feed my app with data.

For example this is terrible to do it manually (I was on it and gave up lol) So I made this script
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pitch_intervals
    https://en.xen.wiki/w/List_of_overtones
    acreenshot.12.jpg

It requires:
    python -m pip install pandas
    python -m pip install get

additionally depending on the webpage to scrap:
    python -m pip install html5lib
    python -m pip install lxml

and maybe other stuff that I already installed way back so I am not sure

I also formatted another source with more than 500 music intervals, all included as attachments, I did test the script in many other places and works perfectly.

Edit: I forgot something, excel usually show ansi or ascii, these are the instruction to see UTF8 (music notation chars are all in UTF8) https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-display-csv-files-with-unicode-utf-8-encoding-in-excel

Attached Files: