Exorbitant Sizes of Sample Libraries

Discussion in 'samples' started by minozheros, Jul 10, 2020.

?

Do you think sample libraries really have to be that big?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2020.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Just stop complaining and buy a bigger harddrive

22 vote(s)
    34.9%
  1. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

that's odd. when i built my computer six years ago, i bought a 120gb ssd for over a hundred bucks (on sale). a few years later, i bought a 500gb ssd to add to my system for about the same price. today you get a one terrabyte ssd for the same price. ymmv

2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Absolutely right.
    But one should pay attention to good timing, otherwise you will annoy your existing customers and make sure that after a short flicker of interest by early adopters, the rest of new products are put on hold, because it will soon be cheaper, and even cheaper, and even cheaper.(*)
    Then the new price tag becomes the basis for further reductions.

Waves does this trick, but is also a heavyweight in the industry with hundereds of products, whereas audio modelling is not.

In the field I'm working in there is a saying: We're selling great products not rebates!
    But let's wait and see, and bet on a beer that Audio Modeling will have problems in say 5 years?

* This is a well-known problem in times of deflation, which is why it is more feared than inflation, and the European Central Bank has been trying to prevent it for years now.

I expressed myself a little unclear. I would have paid 30% more than before for double the capacity of equivalent HDs, not the same.
    My NAS was previously equipped with server grade Hitachi Ultrastar HDs, I switched to desktop HDs because the HGST HDs, which were the same quality as Hitachis before , were just too expensive (the said ~30%).
    The fact is that the price drop per gigabyte is no longer as steep as it used to be and, in addition, the prices for new hard disk sizes are changing in a kind of staircase effect so you pay more for bigger sizes (for a while).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Then samplers are the way to go, I never said that I want samples disappear.

If you listened to the "nuances" of "Crappy Birthday" , that obscenity above, you could have noticed how difficult (to me impossible) it would have been to play that with any sample library.
    Instead, with physmod, just a XY controller + a pair of knobs and voilà, in real time.

Don't let me think to what I paid for my Pentium 133MHz + SCSI 500MB HDD + 3DFX + Yamaha CD burner (overburn capable) in 1996!:rofl:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I will not rest until we have 5000x Round Robin and uFloat range velocity libraries

imagine having to get maintenance when the virtual tubes break :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. eldarktufa

eldarktufa Guest

Every single human primate on the planet hears sounds differently. How YOU hear what you hear is what's important. Listening is a road you have to walk yourself. "Golden Ears" are just different ears. Nothing special. Enjoy what you hear while you can. This too will pass.

6. muaB

muaB Producer

samples are so oldschool

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Polomo

Polomo Guest

Nope, if you know how you can reduce your CPU with the use of Samples to a Minimum . So even bigger projects work with a smaller (Laptop) PC Device .
    Or extremely big projects become possibly by this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Academia

Academia Producer

I was checking orchestral libraries recently, and the level of realism that they reached now is just incredible. It is just unbelievable what you can do today with those. But you must have a HD just for them, it´s ridiculous. Seems that there is one that when you buy it it comes already in its own SSD drive. I saw a couple of "epic percussion" libraries (all sound more or less the same), in the dozens of Gb, it´s insane.
    So, the thing is the price of Gb storage is getting cheaper and cheaper, so what the heck keep cramming those files. In my particular case, the price of computer processing power to be able to enjoy loading all those yummy samples, is not getting significantly cheaper, and monster libraries more and more require monster processing power, which I don´t have.
    In that scenario, as I am a povero poveretto, those libraries are just in the wishing list. I know than the day I have the cash to buy/build a computer to process all those samples, that library will probably be an obsolete POS. So, oh well...

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Often the quality of the samples doesn't change much.
    Many old libraries have high-quality samples.
    From what i read, some recent libraries still re-use their same old high-quality and well-recorded samples. Often what makes the libraries so large is the addition of mic positions.
    Close, mid, overhead, far, bullet mic, 7.1 surround, out back in the tools shed, and of course the highly-sought-after "in the toilet tank" mic.
    Most of that might be handy, but not needed, especially when they are not samples recorded with those mics, but samples 'treated" with mic modeling, and who knows how some of these libraries are done.
    Bottom line: If it "sounds good", it doesn't matter, and most reached "sounds good" years ago.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

So true :rofl::rofl::rofl: