Exhale crashing Ableton

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Spinks D, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

Hi people.

I've encountered a problem with Exhale in Kontakt. If I to use it twice in the same project. It crashes Ableton. It refers to encountering a serious problem and shuts down. Totally fine if I use something else in kontakt.

Anyone experienced this themselves with said Kontakt library? Or any ideas to remedy?

Regards

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Tried it in another DAW?

Seems odd. How do you open it? Do you insert an empty Kontakt and then load the library/instrument in? Or do you load up a saved Kontakt instance?

4. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

Only use Ableton. I Just create new midi track and drag Kontakt into it. Then try and open the second instance of Exhale. Just crashes. Any other library is sweet. Seems a bit weird

5. badman

badman Member

Exhale is very cpu intensive are you running ableton in 64bit mode and is your kontakt 32bit or 64 bit?

6. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

Both 32 bit. Gonna try new project with nothing but Exhale used and see what happens.

Thanks for response

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

if you are running Ableton in 32 bit mode on OSX, you might try and instantiate the "Kontakt" memory server (activated through preferences in standalone Kontakt 5), and then the samples will be loaded into ram OUTSIDE of Ableton, which will at the least buy you some ram to work with, and perhaps stop it from "double" loading the library if that in fact the case.... just throwing it out there! best of luck!

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

If only 32 bit you are limited to just under 4GB RAM for entire system use. How much RAM do you have? And how much RAM does Exhale use? It will say in the middle, top of Kontakt. It could be that your RAM limit is being hit and force closing Ableton to recover RAM.

When you load Exhale, use the drop down menu at the top of Kontakt and select 'purge all'. This will unload all samples and will only begin loading whatever samples you use rather than pre loading all velocities, notes etc. Then try and open the second instance to see if it crashes. If not, it is your RAM bottleneck.

9. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

Thanks for replying people. Will try advice. Was aware of Ram limitations using 32 bit. Was getting away with it obviously until now. Didn't occur exhale might be that heavy. Most plug ins are 32 bit and didn't want to go J Bridge. This may have to change.

If DAW is 64 bit and plugs 32. Would this still be an issue for Exhale ram wise? Or could it potentially cope a bit better? We are now going beyond my very limited knowledge!

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Your OS needs to be a 64 bit version in order to recognise all RAM if you have more than 4GB.

11. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Instead of J bridge you could use 32 Lives.Bunford sums up what you need to do.

12. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

Right. 64bit Ableton it is. Thanks again people.

13. Kinetik_Sound

Kinetik_Sound Newbie

If you do a batch re-save in Kontakt you might be able to fix this. It cuts down on load time dramatically, and may help with memory usage.

-Open the Kontakt.exe standalone
    -Top bar click Files > Batch re-save
    -Click Yes on the warning
    -Find the Exhale library folder in the file browser (inside the folder you'll see "Documentation", "Library Data", "Samples", etc.)
    -Select the Exhale folder where all the sub-folders listed in the parentheses are in
    -"OK"

14. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I have an Toshiba Satelite i5 with 4gb RAM and work in FL Studio 32bit using 32bit plugins. I can run an Output signal patch as well as about 3 or 4 instances of exhales at the same time, with no glitches or cpu overload (granted I am pushing 50-55% of resources). I have a question, what kind of processor does your laptop have, and how much of your RAM is available, because exhale and signal presets use between 80 to 150 megabytes of RAM resources (give or take). Seems something else might be the problem.

15. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

kinetik is right. Batch resave is great for libraries that only have a single instrument, yet allows you to choose presets when the instrument is loaded.

16. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

i5 quad core and 8gb of ram. Have gone to 64bit Ableton with J Bridge. Seems much better. Any issues and i'll defo try batch resave. Thanks for response

17. TheFrenchy

TheFrenchy Newbie

I have the same Probleme , i have ableton 64bit , Kontakt 64bit , Exhale , soon as i use a couple of instences of Exhale i can't open my project anymore... it's driving me crazy , any one found a solution ?

18. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

i have an i7 with 16gb and still need to freeze exhale with some presets if i need a couple of instances

exhale is hungry

19. TheFrenchy

TheFrenchy Newbie

Right so whats the best way to recover my project ?

20. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

Kontakt is multitimbral so there is no need to use multiple instances. Use kontakt multi out and play the individual patches using different midi channels. With the stalled projects you could try to move the exhale lib so the project wont load its patches and then you can try to reload the patches manually or if its kontakt fault try another version of the plugin.

21. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

open on a higher spec pc, remove the exhales, then do what HPF suggests