Excluding Programs from Windows Sound?

Discussion in 'PC' started by kabelkotze, Jun 26, 2014.

1. kabelkotze

kabelkotze Noisemaker

Hi Sexies,

Is it possible to exclude individual programs from the standard Windows Sound Device? I know there are several Apps where you can choose Audio Device Output separately. But I mean for those, which have not this Option.

For Example, I would like to use the Desktop Tool Rainmeter, but I don't want it to have Access to the Standard Sound Device (which sometimes is my ASIO Interface).

Ah ya, I am using Windows 7 x64.

Cheers
    Kabel

3. Demon

Demon Producer

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Interesting question. At least, in Win 7's audio mixer you could turn down the volume of the app.
    As for completely blocking it, I believe this is going to be hard without hacking the app itself or using sandboxing/virtuallization.
    What you want is kind of an "audio firewall" driver that lets only selected apps call audio functions, others will ideally get a dummy audio device that just does nothing. Intermediate drivers like ASIO4ALL might be a good place to start, its developer would "only" have to add this feature to the driver.
    I have seen desktop firewalls with many many application-specific settings, but I remember none including audio.

There's one solution I can suggest:
    Run Rainmeter (or any other app) in Sandboxie and block audio access in SB.

@Demon:
    Good idea, but what is suggested at the linked site is in fact using the standard Windows audio device and exclude specific apps by choosing a different driver/output path in their settings. It won't work with apps that do not have such an option, like kk wanted above.

Good luck

5. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

When you add an ASIO device (install) to Windows 7 the drivers also load the WDM drivers section which will add that device right away automatically to your windows 7 general audio devices.

You need to remove all sections ( IN and OUT) in the windows audio control panel

Right click the Windows Speaker icon in the tray area and click "PLAYBACK devices"
    then right click your ASIO ouputs on the screen that opens and click "DISABLE"

This will disable the Windows audio control panel from giving Windows apps AUTO access to your ASIO device's WDM drivers.

This way you can control wich apps can have access to your ASIO INS and OUTS Manually.

Now right click the Speaker icon in the tray area again and click "Recording Devices"
    You will see the INPUTS available...

Right click and DISABLE all your ASIO interace's inputs.

THERE DONE!!

6. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

With VAC as the default device you can route everything you want to keep silent into it and all other applications to your ASIO out.